Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Salvage Rate Too High

Discussion in 'Release 60 Feedback' started by Rook Strife, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Salvaged 50 Elven Bows

1 Elven Bow string
    6 Imbued strings of Precision
    4 Imbued strings of Speed
    16 Patterns

2 or 3 strings out of 50 would seem a reasonable rate for a GM salvager

That was the approx rate a few months back

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Dhanas, Spinok and Barugon like this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Elwyn and FrostII like this.
  3. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

?

Giving feedback that the new rates seem too high

Last release there was a good likelihood you would get 0 strings out of 50 bows

Approx 7 months ago you would get the 2 or 3

4. Alley Oop

so if it was tripled, then 3 should be 9 and you got 11, which isn't far off given the small sample size

FrostII likes this.
  5. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

I think the salvage stuff is fine, but the patterns taking over salvage parts isn't too fine for those needing scrap. Give us a choice of pattern over crafting mats or both would be nice.

Elwyn, Widsith [MGT], Hazard and 2 others like this.
  6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

get scrap AND patterns would be a good idea

Black Tortoise, Gaelis, Elwyn and 2 others like this.
  7. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Yes I agree.

Barugon likes this.
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Are you saying that you get no scrap now ?

9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

not at the same time, no. you either get 1 or the other. Rusty armor as loot was not a significant source of scrap because of how often you got a pattern instead of scrap.

Mishikal likes this.
  10. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Yep, you always need scrap. But once you have the patterns, more are basically useless and reduce the collection of scrap which really is the goal of salvage for the long haul.

Black Tortoise and Mishikal like this.
  11. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Yes, I have hundred of patterns for things like rusty armor and other cruft. I honestly saw no issue with the old rate of patterns @ level 80. I can't even imagine the insane amount of patterns I'd get at 100. But scrap? Always need that. patterns are the "wooden catapult recipe" of salvage.

12. Alley Oop

the rusty/dirty/ragged stuff was deliberately set high already, but trying to gather enough angled gambesons to get a full set of patterns was a real chore. katanas, steam hammers, leather doublets, dragon barbarian gear...

FrostII likes this.
  13. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Ok, so maybe the improved drop rate should take into account the base drop rate before multiplying then? That's the best I've got. And we should still get scraps. It's already a pain enough to get leather/cloth scraps.

Dirk Hammerstrike and Alley Oop like this.
  14. Alley Oop

i feel you on the cloth scraps, but the leather from scraps recipe still does not make economic sense.

15. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Agreed, but that's a separate issue. ;) They need to double the output and remove 1 wax so it is sensical.

Alley Oop likes this.
  16. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

17. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

I like the current string drop rate. Too many strings better than too few. The way it was pre-patch strings were almost not grindable. You could bust a nutt in the rise for hours and get none. NOW, patterns on the other hand are out of control which only matters cause it nullifies the scraps which I think is an oversite.

Mishikal likes this.
  18. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

The problem is that many weapons, like for example, katanas, or steam hammers, are scarce and even with current pattern rates its hard to accumulate enough of them to get a drop. Same for things like cabalist robes,the clothing drops, etc. Previously farming dozens or hundreds of these to get a pattern was just untenable.

Other items, like elven woodwind bows for example, the patterns are everywhere....because people farm/salvage these for the component and end up with a huge pile of junk patterns. There's no real harm in this though, the patterns only vendor for like, 10 gold....so easily disposed of. We could reduce the pattern rate, but then we'd need to up the availability of some of the other items because getting those patterns is, even still, a huge grind. For something that's just a cosmetic, and a one-off use at best, there's no need for them to be that scarce.

I think the current rates for component drops are just right; before, they were far too scarce combined with the exceptional rate in crafting and the rng in crafting to be worth bothering with unless you wanted to spend a ton of time/money grinding for a weapon that will then be subject to durability loss/become junk. Very pleased with the change, personally. Before this release, I crushed an entire box (300) bows and got a whopping 4 bow strings, with level 120 carpentry salvage and the potion on top. The one bow I was able to make with 2 of the same string, was not exceptional, and didn't have enough durability to do anything with. Farming thousands of bows to be able to make 1 viable bow was just unreasonable. Farming dozens/hundreds is, well, more reasonable.

xadoor, Jaesun, Alley Oop and 2 others like this.
  19. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I agree. The rusty/shoddy/worn/etc. stuff has been giving a way too high (at least 2x too high) rate of patterns for months, and because patterns block scrap drops, that means less scrap for me. There are times where I'd rather sell the item to an NPC for certain gold than take a chance on yet another stupid pattern.

But I really haven't been playing the past week or so, and I look forward to seeing some less-than-insanely-low drop rates for the other patterns.

Mishikal likes this.
  20. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

+1...I wonder if the devs realize, or even have time to realize that the crafting math is wrong. Each roll % is multiplied times the next roll %. This results in odds that are essentially unobtainable, even if you have unlimited mats.

kaeshiva likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.