1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Crown Migration for Release 61

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

The input of the people who ACTUALLY play the game is invaluable. Who on the staff actually plays the game? Sorry but I totally disagree with your comment and it points to an attitude that has gotten us where we are today. Its time to start listening to the players and making changes that are for the common good and not just making willy nilly changes that correct NOTHING (at least not anything they've been able to put into workds) but cause 5 pages(so far) of complaining by real players.

If you are correct why even have these forums, why tell us about changes, why even allow discussion. Mother knows best, no discussions?

Peabo and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  2. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Considering the current status of the game every change and discussion should begin and end with what can be done to benefit US. Those complaining for I versus US will be the end of this game.

When the lead technical developer says it's good from a performance perspective for the game, someone's decoration is irrelevant. Thankfully nothing is being nerfed in the process. Maybe we can get those rusty spoons removed next, or make them so rare they are actually worth having in game?

Here is an idea, replace all those COTOs with rusty spoons when decorating. Maybe we can get the rusty spoons pulled or replaced with golden spoons.

Having multiple COTO "currencies" was a stupid idea from the start. About time its fixed.

3. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Actually it's time to STOP listening to the vocal MINORITY and start finding out what the MAJORITY of players want and build a game that speaks to the majority who will be the ones to give this game legs.
    5 pages sure but I seen a lot of the same names over and over and over so maybe its not as impressive as your making it out to be.
    lol to make you feel important because everyone wants to feel important...lol and sure they probably search the forums for ideas that are good and will work and achievable but this is their game that they are building and maybe they do know best in many areas since they have access to ALL the data needed to make decisions and not just a tiny tiny piece of the picture which is what many of the players have who are complaining over and over and over and quite frankly creating more problems than if they were a little quieter and listened....
    this right here... well said @Greyfox

4. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

I just had a chat about the lag and COTOs with a programmer. A COTO causes a lot less lag than a dragon head or a Christmas tree, even though each occupies a single deco spot (maybe a light spot for Christmas tree). A COTO generates less lag because it is a simple cylinder shape with less detail.

So, factors beyond performance are probably the real reason behind the change.

5. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Again, my suggestion is less or about the same work. Making the non-gold cotos have no value except to be tradeable for gold cotos on a crown merchant so people can choose to keep them or exchange them is not hard and doesn't effect performance. Also, there are WAY less of the non-gold cotos than gold in the game. Most people don't deco with huge numbers non-gold cotos because of this. It's the gold ones that are used for deco for the most part for two reasons. 1, they're gold and 2 there's just more of them.

Interestingly, the gold cotos would technically be worth less based on that. Since we can RMT gold, however, the economy will never be able to reflect this.

6. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

Imagine, if you will, a conversation on the dev team:

Tim: "Hey Bob, we have player feed back that all these different types of crowns are confusing. What exactly are we using the non gold crowns for?"

Bob: "Well you can repair equipment with them and get some obsidian potions with them."

Tim: "Can't you already do both of those with the gold crowns?"

Bob: "Sure."

Tim: "Why not just get rid of the other types of crowns and clear up the confusion?"

Bob: "Well it would fix the confusion and it would also simply our crown vendor menus, but what would we do with the non gold crowns that are already in the game?"

Tim: "We could just convert them to gold crowns. Sure it would be just like giving free store credit away to the players, but they will love us for it!"

Bob: "Sounds good. Lets do it!!!"

.... it must suck to be a dev and read forums.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  7. Eric White

Eric White Avatar

Exactly @mystarr .

I feel for those who decorate with various colors of COTOs. BUT the advantages out weigh the disadvantages. It's two steps forward and one back, possibly... but sometimes that happens with decisions devs have to make.

K1000, Sean Silverfoot and Metlore like this.
  8. Metlore

Metlore Avatar

I totally understand different people value different things in totally different ways. This post is strictly my honest feelings over the matter and I don't mean to trivialize anyone's thoughts or feelings, BUT this really seems like making a mountain out of a mole hill. We have so many more pressing issues that need addressed but everyone wants to make a stand over the color of the coins in the game? We have all weathered way crazier changes than this. Secondly, do we really need more rares or items with more "value"? Don't we have enough status symbols and rare items in the game world? Third, when have you ever gone to a store and the cashier just has money laying all over the countertops? That would be a terrible business model. Now treasure rooms...I admit I find pretty a pretty cool idea.

All of that said however, you should be able to use your decoration item limit however you see fit...in an ideal world; BUT it sounds like the devs are very strongly insinuating that hindsight is better than foresight and adjustments need to be made.

If changing the coin color to only be gold makes the game more inviting to new players, I say go for it. I want more players.

9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Now someone should speak up and say -

ALOT of players use them for decorations, exchanging them in game at a vendor from another color to gold is easy enough. SO how about we just stop them from dropping any more. Anyone who uses them for decorations can keep them and those who want to change them to gold can exchange them. We would not have to change anything but remove the colored ones from the loot table. This would mean just deleting one line in code and would not cause any confusion with players who have them as deco and log in a find they lost their colored ones. It will not affect deco loading much at all since it is very few items compared to what is in most houses. SO in the end just removing them from future drops will actually solve the confusion issue.

However if it is a Deco issue (which make zero sense since it is such a small count) then so be it but there are so many other items that could be changed - books, papers, notes . . . . . So many small items in houses this reason just does not fly.

The other issue that COULD be out there is there is/was a bug that caused someone to get 1000 Copper ones and the fix is almost impossible . . . closing an exploit or bug? Good reason but . . .

CrandalltheFoole and Aldo like this.
  10. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Thanks for the head's up. I managed to get every type as a drop since persistence. I took screen shots of them both as chest contents and laid out on a table last night.

Alley Oop likes this.
  11. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

"Guys, to be honest, we would like to do away with COTOs as decos. Feels like we have more than enough things that were actually intended to be decos that don't allow players to stack 1000+ small objects in a tight space."

When the players want something they paid for or earned, viz., COTO, to remain both as decoration and be of multiple variety, but the devs take steps (time, effort and money) to change it for the devs' preference, the funding issues plaguing this game are not surprising. When sold the game WE (the customers) wanted on Kickstarter, we paid King's ransoms for it. Happily, in my case. But now that they need not attract our pledge funds, the devs make game decisions against the will of the customers. How long can a game last that does not make the game as the customers want it? Answer: not long. Sadly.

I love this game and have supported it vigorously by investing significant time and money into it. I would hope the devs would reconsider, and simply make all COTO of equal value, but not extinguish the different COTO we have earned. Was that not the promise of persistence? That what we earn would be ours to keep, forever?

Then again, what do I know. I am a poor King killed by a pig.

12. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

@Bzus please read this thread.

13. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

go vote here no real need for more threads but could have added a pole here :rolleyes:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/crown-migration.147318/

I just looked back thru this post, almost every player wants them as Deco, Sorry developers you need to give alot more reasons other than "we want to remove Cotos as Deco. There are 1000 of other small things you have that take up "Load" issues you sold single pieces of silverware come on?

I picked up 100 wood mugs the other day and in loot I have tons of rusty spoond and stuff.

Sorry but deco excuse is bad one, how many places are like that Treasure Room , room - very few. a Bunch of us used other colors for deco and they look great.

The decision to take them away is clearly against players wishes, there are at least 6 other ideas thromw out there and 100s of other issues much more critical. CLipping of Cloaks . . . . . . .

When you see somthign like this throw out a Poll see what players say, explain how "Critical" it is . . . If it is not then ????

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  14. Dragonhart

Dragonhart Avatar

Is there any real reason a "COTO"'s color has to matter?.. just leave in the colors, but make them all "gold" in the eyes of the exchange. ie: it may be brown, yellow, green or whatever, but its value is "1 COTO" regardless.

15. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

[​IMG]

Here are 3 items I got in a few minutes while screwing in Dysborg Ruins, I was fishing and tried to take on the Lich, an Arche Mage Spawned and took me out just before I could take him down and I was done for a while.

these items are deco and nothing more. I can not scrap them, and selling them is worthless. But if I take all the items I get as loot and placed them they would outnumber all my Colored Cotos by 1000 to 1 so again sorry but deco reason just does not fly :) Here are all my Colored Cotos or ones that dropped, all of them.

I was happy to get them as loot, it was rewarding, removing them would just be sad.

[​IMG]

Now look they are on a Bar in the same picture you see Rolls, Mugs, Picture's . . . In this screen alone there are more unique items than the total of Cotos o_O

16. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I think that it is to be expected that people posting in this thread are people who are concerned about losing their deco. I personally have never used COTOs as deco and don't plan to do so, so if I were selfish I would declare that it is not an important issue that the Devs should bother about. ;)

17. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Not one person her is not saying Deco is an issue but I clearly just showed that Cotos as items of deco are insignificant. You yourself say you do not have them out as deco but I know you have deco. Soooo how is Limiting Cotos as deco the issue.

TY for supporting most of our points, Coto should not be changed

18. Ulskanine

Ulskanine Avatar

I would like to offer up a suggestion that might prove good for all involved. How about the creation of a limited time item ( a crown display case) that would be 1 item, but have all the current crown colors in it .

Fiero Steele, Synergy Blaize and Nick like this.
  19. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

I have about 5 different color cotos as deco on my counter, I just hope that I can find the will to go on if they change them to gold, it may well destroy me.

Pray for me.

Also, if they dont change them all to gold, I will be selling RARE different colored cotos for 5 gold cotos appiece!

20. Fiero Steele

Fiero Steele Avatar

I'm going to replace them with rusty items, rumor is that they will also be replaced with gold coto's.

Have no idea how that rumor started :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.