Leaving population feedback

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Humbert_Humbert, Dec 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

Is it possible to somehow monitor the new arrivals who quit playing after trying the game?

For instance, this person came and tried the free to play game but hasn't been on in a month. Send them an email to get their feedback on why they didn't continue with the game.

I'm seeing the numbers drop again after the free to play announcement and this could help determine why.

Dyonisys, K1000 and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  2. Dyonisys

Dyonisys Avatar

One thing for sure if people don't get involve or taken under the wings of a guild it usually happen. Love this game but there is so much to know and so much to learn if you dont find some help it's pretty hard to start!

We have been helping new player as much as we could. welcoming them in game and answering question / gearing them and make them learn the basic of the game. Usually those player stick around and continue to play!

Don't have any idea about how to make the beginning easier but pretty sure it's still a reason why people stop playing Imo

Bjorn Dyonisys

Gaelis, K1000 and Synergy Blaize like this.
  3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I really wish there was an option for the crafting, deco, RP oriented to start in a populated town that is ready to get them started.

That would mean towns volunteering to do so, a method to detect which one is on duty at the moment, and probably a poll to newcomers afterwards to wash out poor receptionists over time.

Right now it's easy to play for ages thinking this is just another MMO. That might be fine for adventurers but it's terrible to the quite large non-adventurer subset. (Not totally fine for adventurers, some advanced tutorials about deck building and such, in game, would be great.)

All you have to do is watch some first look/review videos to see that most players who leave will have done so long before they get to the game proper.

The game needs to get people acquainted with what they want to do. It's good we try but it can't be all on our shoulders.

K1000 and Synergy Blaize like this.
  4. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

My concern on this is it may violate data collection policies in various countries. Emailing someone who signed up and then left for any reason, might be considered an abusive use of user's private information for marketing purposes. I'm sure the devs would appreciate the demographic information they may gather from that (I know I would in that position), but with so many different regulations that they have to keep current for an international game, this may prove problematic.

Also, I know if I was playing a game and decided it wasn't for me, I wouldn't want to receive an email asking why I left something a month or more ago (chances are good if I didn't stick with something I probably wouldn't remember why I didn't stick with it). Likewise, if I was playing it but needed to take a break, I wouldn't enjoy being told to come back and play or explain why I don't play now (obviously it wouldn't be phrased like that, but it is how I would feel if I received one them for a game I'm quasi active in).

5. Lained

Lained Avatar

They do, the retention numbers are higher than average.

I can't imagine someone who didn't enjoy the game or it was simply not for them taking the time to respond to such a request.

6. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

We have been trying to help out new players as much as possible.
    But I believe "a barrier" could be that new players can't access Universal Chat from when they start, without having to make the Orb purchase.

@DarkStarr
    Imagine being a confused Newbie & not a seasoned Gamer over the Years....
    Perhaps someone who has come to Shroud with fond memories of Ultima & UO & wanting to explore RG's New Brittannia,
    & them feeling confused, overwhelmed & stuck...

They can see players talking in Universal Chat, but cannot seek assistance, without the purchase. (& they may not understand the concept of /whisper or feel intimidated to "cold call" someone.)
    Players in Universal have been assisting with questions, but a Brand New Player cannot ask for help, without the purchase of the Orb, so they access Uni Chat from the onset.

Perhaps the idea of the $2 Orb purchase, was to prevent spammers or the like, from "tainting" Uni Chat.
    These folks are the most likely ones to shell out the $2 in order to do so, whereas the Genuine New Player, might be inclined to become disillusioned & walk away.

The Current Player base are willing to help Newbies.
    Please consider giving the Orb to players when the start the game....

7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Or make a Hospitaller channel that they can access.

8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

There’s a load screen tip to speak in zone and local chat. I always listen to that if someone has a question.

Elwyn, majoria70 and Lained like this.
  9. Floors

Floors Avatar

Honestly, we don't need feedback.

We know the reason people are leaving the game. It's because it's

1.) Not competitive graphically
    2.) The perfomance is not good, especially on non-Windows platforms.
    3.) It's a grindy game with a steep curve, old school mechanics and quite a few issues remain.

I love the game, but I'm not afraid to tell the truth about why we can't retain newbies.

Elwyn, FruityTooty, K1000 and 4 others like this.
  10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

When you got folks hyping the heck out of albion and LoA i dont really think the Graphics opinion holds water.

11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

this is one

BUT even worse is the reply they get from people here, If they are critical they are blatantly brow beaten so badly they do not bother to try again.

Since you are looking for the reasons those who did not stay did so . . . . . .

We retain quite a few because they are brought in and led down a good path, those that stumble in and are not led do not stay?????

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  12. Floors

Floors Avatar

It does hold water Arkah, and I'll tell you why:

Every single person I showed this game to... the first thing they said is that it looks dated. LoA is a top down view and it looks normal for those types of games, which don't have to be held
    to the same standard.

But full 3D view is different. People expect a higher standard. It is a common comment I hear from people about the game.

It doesn't bother me ; I even find times in the game to be beautiful. But Also the trees look bad sometimes and the textures are unforgivable in spots, like most of the rocks look like polygons with something dirty stretched over them.
    And the sky; The sky has really low res stars. Oblivion had a better skybox, and that game was released 12 years ago.

Again, I'm a supporter of the game, but it's time we started being realistic and accepting the common view.

The water looks good, I'll allow that much.

If you don't think the graphics are a big factor, I'm curious : What are the top 3 reasons why our steam charts look the way they do ? And that there's nobody in the game like there was back at launch ?
    Happy to hear an alternate view about why the game and forums are so empty lately.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Katu, Amelli and Hornpipe like this.
  13. Floors

Floors Avatar

Just to show you I'm not a reddit troll, here's things I think are GREAT about the game:

Fishing. Fishing Trophys. The harder type Zombies look great. The dragons are cool and awe-inspiring (when solo anyway).
    Crafting, although it makes no sense from a time point of view with one or two big crafting towns dominating the tiny populace.
    Taming !! Combat Pets !!!
    Some of the scenes are really interesting, like the Boundless Forest. The fishing expedition (OMG ... yes !). Blood Bay. Upper Tears.
    The map. The ruins (wish they had side quests.....). The shardfalls (Zendikar, anyone ?).
    Jaanaford....

The items. Player made weapons. Homes && Home Decoration !! All great things.

But the rocks ? The "mirrors" on the edge of forest terrain that don't quite match up to make it look seamless ?

The skybox that moves constellations when you move ? Falling through the earth ? getting stuck in the edges of rocks, bridges, sometimes for no reason ? The super fuzzy stars ? Not so much....

14. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

The #1 complaint I hear is the quest system. when it does not update, players who do not know the quests think something is wrong and they are stuck on the quest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.