Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

R61 fishing changes are meh

Discussion in 'Release 61 QA Feedback' started by Net, Dec 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Net

Net Avatar

Not happy with the fishing changes, my fishing chance went down significantly and did not recover even after getting new skill to 80. I was hoping new skills will help me catch those elusive rare fish more often, not less. I dread to think how hard the fishing will be when I specialize in it...or rather if.

Also cannot seem to fish in lava anywhere. I suppose the lava should be swimable in order for me to fish in it, but so far it is too shallow. Be it in northwest blackblade mountains, blackblade pass, southeast blackblade mountains, sunless barrens, not sure where you can actually fish in lava.

Gaelis, Yolo SoLive and Weins201 like this.
  2. enalNomad

enalNomad Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

FYI - You have to have a special Lava Fishing Rod to fish in lava.
    Lava will never be swimmable. It burns you. It is lava. Only lava fish can exist in lava.

Net and Jaesun like this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ok why do we not know this and where is it? I could not find one.
    Lava Fishing Pole? I have been at this with Net for a few days now. A few others have been trying.

I have tried to ask Burning Toad when I saw him in QA.

Is the pole in the game.

Your reply makes me feel like an idiot. I can gain Lava skill without even fishing in Lava so why would I thin I need anything other than the Lures?

Please make a Post about fishing - fully explain how it is supposed to look so we an truly test it out.

As it is now it is just another set of skillz that is going to include Bugs and TBD, or ITW stuff.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

@Net Lava Poles are now on the fishing Vendor - no idea when they appeared there

Gaelis and Net like this.
  5. Kron Caledon

Kron Caledon Avatar

@enalNomad

In QA build 782 - you can catch salmon, Spotted Bass, etc. in lava - see here for bug report.

I caught the salmon and Spotted Bass in lava using minnows, which defeats the purpose of having gemmed lures. (Bug report with Jira #63400)
    I think Bzus mentioned that baits are not typed to the water right now. But at least can you make sure that non-gemmed lures (like worms, minnows, leeches, etc.) get a 0% chance of catching fish in lava?

The reference to swimming in lava - is because very few spots in the existing lava flows are fishable. The assumption is that the lava is set up like water, where only spots "deep enough to swim" are "fishable".

For example - none of the lava in Sunless Barrens is fishable (even with gemmed lures, etc.)

Bait recovery also doesn't seem to be working with gemmed lures, or returning minnows instead of gemmed lures.

Plus, right now you can train lava fishing by fishing in fresh water, etc. (Bug #64302)

Would love to see all these fixed before the release!

Screenshot of Sunless Barrens - unable to fish
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Gaelis, Weins201 and Net like this.
  6. Net

Net Avatar

Have not got to test lava fishing yet but after equipping lava rod my prosperity fishing rod got unequipped and I can fish with minnows/lures at fresh water using lava rod damaging it.

I am not happy about normal fishing being possible with expensive lava rod when I have cheap or indestructible rod in my inventory. Do not want to switch rods all the time, different baits should be tied to those different rods or something.

Gaelis, Weins201 and Tildi like this.
  7. Net

Net Avatar

That is a lie. Just had a swim in Blackblade foothills. It is the only place I can fish in lava but it is freshwater and not lava.

Alley Oop and Gaelis like this.
  8. BurningToad

BurningToad Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

So, I've just found and fixed a bug that caused all water to be considered freshwater (this did not affect the way our designers test, so they didn't see this.) Also, we are working on bait type restrictions so that non-lava bait won't be able to be used in lava, that should make it in for release too. The skill progression based on water types should be fixed as well.

Alley Oop, Net and Kron Caledon like this.
  9. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

CONFIRMED - Yes, learning one water type skill at a time now...

10. BurningToad

That is in today's build, the other changes are not - but the caveat is that all water (or lava) in today's build is considered fresh water.

11. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

I was just about to report that Sth Fetid Swamps water has been filtered & is now Freshwater :(

12. BurningToad

We should be able to get another build out a little later today with these fixes.

13. Kron Caledon

Kron Caledon Avatar

14. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

Thanks @BurningToad (& the whole team) for all of your hard work!
    Sometimes it must feel like you are pushing "stuff" uphill :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.