As XP gain in combat and quantities of it increase exponential, so it must in quests

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Vladamir Begemot, Dec 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

When you have lots of XP, it's not actually worth the time it takes to run into Central Brit for the 8000 XP for seasonal enemies.

Some might say "Well we don't want that, kill him for the sheer fun of it!" And we did. But XP is nice too, for both the game and the players.

In fact, 8000 Xp is a letdown at higher levels, you're better off not giving any as 8,000 has become a running joke.

2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

And your point ?? :confused:

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If it's not fun for you to do something other than grind at UT then don't.

4. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

The whole xp gain and loot in this game remains pretty hopeless but hey at least there are now plenty of fish to catch which is clearly far more important to the Devs

MrBlight and Addison like this.
  5. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

What a utter disappointement this latest quest is. There is a reason why almost all mmo's give you guaranteed vanity items for quests like this you know.. They know the quest in itself not worth the time, but getting something original out of it still makes it worthwhile doing. Some even have you do the quests daily so you can gather things for "bigger" rewards.

And no, i do not consider the stick you can get from the latest seasonal quest a reward worthwile killing the mob over and over for.

Addison likes this.
  6. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Remember Questing XP gets added to both your adventure AND producer XP pools.

While 8k adventure XP is nothing, 8k producer is reasonable.

Regards
    Spung

7. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Quest xp rewards have always been disappointing, across the board, for the time the quests take. The main storyline quest is the possible exception if you do it early enough. Even with the new 'double' rate, the rewards are still sad. True, you do get it to your producer pool, but 8k producer XP = chopping down 8 trees or bushes or mining 8 nodes ....you could do that faster than waiting for central brit's load time alone.

I think the correct direction with the quests was adding unique deco/equipment rewards. Even if they weren't "good" they were unique one-offs and collectible.

Personally, this whole "super rare drop of pointless decorative weapon from seasonal boss thing" seems ludicrous. Give the item as the quest reward. The death bunny quest did this correctly. You got a book and some silly things you could use as deco. The boss dropped the art bundles AND A HEAD but with REASONABLE FREQUENCY. It was worth doing. Pumpkin head certainly was not, and based on what I'm hearing, Krampus is the same. Its a shame that you spend time and thought adding new things that everyone quickly realizes aren't worth doing.

So make the reward, quest-based and up the loot to 'drops at least something every time'. Then everyone will go do it, at least once. We all know the chances of actually getting a drop off one of these is so miniscule its a big reason why we don't bother. After the debacle of punpkin head I have no motivation to go waste my entire weekend having nothing to show for it except an 8k, once only, quest reward and whatever possible harvestables I might pick up in the immediate area waiting for said boss to respawn. Pass.

But Shimz, we want rare things! Fine, give it a rare drop as well. Having it drop nothing exciting at all and having the quest reward be negligible even for players too low level to even have a crack at it, is not the way to incentivize..

Addison, FrostII, Gorthyn and 2 others like this.
  8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

@kaeshiva I think I was the only one out of 3 parties who didn't get his stick so go fight him now while it drops!

When the whole group is joking about how little the quest will give them before having done the quest, your quest rewards are.... Wait for it....

A joke!

And it's a running joke now, because it was the same for Pumpkin Head, clearing the challenge dungeon IIRC, and probably every other recent quest.

Even finishing the story is tiny now. Do it for the Shroud or the deed, not for the xp. Go do UT for 5 minutes to get more xp than finishing the game! Then go make six catapults.

Addison and dcyumyum like this.
  9. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

Oh the Archers must be excited. A new weapon. Nevermind, it's only cosmetic.

There's always 2 patches from now, amirite.

10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Oh, and for the record I had a lot of fun fighting Krampus multiple times. It's a good battle for us. It's just that you don't want people thinking "Hmmmmm should I even bother turning in the quest? Is it worththe run time up that hill?"

11. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

So, I guess we should just continue ramping up XP gains? We've had sporadic Double-XP days turn into week long events, then, after people weren't happy with that, permanent. We've gotten Obsidian Guidance potions that increase learning speed by 300%, and a quest that will bump it up by another 50%. The 8000XP is for both Adv/Prod(which is already double what it used to be.) People complained about not liking consequences for dying, they removed Death Decay.

I swear, this game is just getting worse and worse. Give people an inch... Why not just ask for everything you could ever want in the game and skip the charade of having a playable game? It's no wonder people are quitting the game. There's barely any challenge anymore, and things just keep getting easier and easier. All risk vs reward has been removed. Everything is becoming instant gratification driven; it's getting to be a lot like putting the training wheels back on the bike. I still like the game, but its been heading in a bad direction for a while now, and I don't see an end to it. They will likely cave in and raise the XP for quests, and then players will start demanding something else, and on, and on it will go.

12. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yes, the double was made permanent. I found the people screaming loudest for this were the people who didn't want to invest the time to develop their character. The outcry of "but we'll never have fair pvp" "we'll never catch up" - and now we're getting 'capped' scenes because people who don't want to bother investing time in the game want to be on "even footing." Why should they be? Again we see the value of actually playing the game reduced, and further reduced. Less experience. Less loot. Less benefit for playing. Every patch monsters get stronger and players get weaker, zones keep getting changed to make them more and more difficult, and less and less rewarding for the effort required.

Now it seems that your character is measured by how many tedious hours you've spent grinding boring repetitive content, because doing anything else pales in comparison.

And I think that's kinda the point of this post. Why should 'mindlessly killing boring crap' be more valid than exploration, or questing? The quest rewards are extremely out of proportion. Forget double, forget UT, before all of that was even a thing, the quest reward xp was bad compared to what you could achieve doing -anything- else in the same amount of time. Significantly so. In fact, most people I know never bothered with any of the quests, including the storyline quest, until they started adding perks to it ala shroud, property deed, etc. The quests without a unique deco/gear reward? I'm sure a few people do them, but based on the questions I see asked, most players have never heard of these or those who have, find put them in the 'don't bother' box.

If I can go earn x money, xp, loot, etc. doing y activity, why would I go do a one-off quest that is less rewarding than my usual business? For what purpose? They aren't that interesting for the most part.

13. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

IMO it's getting better and better.

I don't know why you would complain if someone gets more than 8,000 XP for a one time quest, but if that's your idea of "worse and worse".... well... I guess you're entitled to an opinion. I just don't understand it.

FrostII likes this.
  15. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

You are exactly the point I was making. "Reward ME!!!", "We aren't gaining fast enough!", "I don't want to do anything unless I get something really nice!" It's called instant-gratification, and once you get a taste of it, more is never enough. So, you are stuck in this loop of wanting things bigger, better faster. I remember right after Double XP going permanent people suggesting we should do the Double-XP again, on top of the new permanent Double XP. It will never be enough for players who can't be bothered with progressing their characters or having to work to get rewards. It's these same players that want everything NOW that will be the first ones to quit 'playing' the game.

Because, I like a game that is actually a game, where you have to work toward goals over a period of time and aren't handed every single thing I want. I like a game that has consequences for dying, that has challenging content and doesn't try to hold my hand every step of the way. I don't like games that flash neon like signs all over the place for quests, because I like to actually like to use my mind to figure things out, rather than just going from point A to B and getting a reward for following directions. Crafting is one of the last things in game that hasn't been ruined by the instant gratification crowd. I'd like to keep it that way. That said, there are, now, more than a few players who want everything now, and will probably get their way.

16. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

No, that's incorrect. There is no such thing as double xp anymore. What you're calling double xp is now the normal xp. This quest was just created and I completely agree with Vlad. It should be 25-50k with a neat deco item to make it fun.

Any argument that its too much producer xp and 8k is enough is ridiculous. You can gather 8 nodes to get 8k xp and just the mobs in the zone for the quest are 6k adv xp each kill.

So 8k for completing a seasonal quest is really way too low and really doesn't make sense.

Katu, Gorthyn and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  17. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Did you even read what you quoted?

If you'll notice, within the parentheses, I qualify that the 8000XP is already doubled from the value that it had been. That would be 4000XP, which is what the value for quests of that type would get before being doubled.

18. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Have to agree. A quest that is a one-off, once per season (or once ever?) turnin, can certainly afford to be less stingy!

Vladamir Begemot and FrostII like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.