Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

How do you feel about the graphics thus far? (POLL: post pre-alpha release 2)

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by Doppelganger [MGT], Jan 27, 2014.

?

How do you feel about the graphics thus far? (post pre-alpha release 2)

1. I think they're outstanding!

20 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. I think they're decent enough

80 vote(s)
    38.1%
  3. I think they need improvement

91 vote(s)
    43.3%
  4. I think they're terrible

19 vote(s)
    9.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floors

Floors Avatar

All Mutilator has done is come in here and open threads where he slates the game, making posts showing disingenuous graphics compared to a totally different style of game on a game console.

Anyone who has ever played the later iterations of FF know it's a game based about cut scenes you watch, play a couple minutes, then cutscenes.

He zoomed that shot and made it look as bad as possible. The game does not look that bad.

This a cross platform game being developed on 3 million dollars. We cannot expect it to compare to high budget games.

For me, it comes down to gameplay. I still play games because their game play is good, not because of graphics alone.

There are a ton of games that get all this hype and it's all focused on graphics and then the game sucks or is totally forgettable.

Then the marketing engine starts up at EA or companies like it and they get you to wastes another 59.99 on a similar game.

Rinse and Repeat.

The people here are here for the community. We are here because previous Ultima games had great gameplay.

I'm not saying SoTA will achieve that. It is a risk. I think we all knew that.

But give me a break coming in and posting all this negative stuff.

At least contribute to the community somehow

2. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

The graphics (especially from Release 2) are pretty nice, and the animations seemed less choppy from the first build we got to play. I'm not really worried about them making a pretty game, I want to see the substance.

Chat options, guild/group tools, crafting options, trade/vendor controls (if we get to place them ala UO style), personal customizations (dyes, color kits, etc), and I'd really love to see a dungeon or challenge thing for people to get to dink around with the combat mechanics, especially if they're going for the MMO trinity of tank/heal/damage, or allowing a more fluid class integration.

It was horribly broken back in UO, but it still worked and was fun to have the jack-of-all-trades adventurer, versus the pigeon holed specialization. And I know we're way too early for final decisions, but how are multiple characters handled? Will they be tied to our lots via account, have seperate housing, etc? I may want my crafter to supply my tradesman, and would definitely want the tools between the characters.

3. sklurb

sklurb Avatar

Ultimately (har!), it's all about the gameplay for me, although I can't help but feel like the character models and some textures belong in 2004.

[​IMG]

Time Lord and blackghost like this.
  4. smack

smack Avatar

Where are the shadows in that screenshot? There are four small point light sources yet the room is flooded with light. As others have said before, the lighting and shaders will hopefully be much improved towards the end of the project. At least that's the expectation from the community.

blackghost likes this.
  5. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Heh, I just was probably nostalgic looking at it, since it was miles ahead of U9's graphics. Personally, I'm hoping they don't go too bleeding edge on the graphics, but something around Skyrim/TESO-style would be awesome, especially if they can bring more highlights to armor/weapon details to really stand out. (I'm a crafting junkie :)

6. Mutilator

Mutilator Avatar

Just want to point out again that graphics and gameplay are two different departments within the company.You CAN have good graphics and good gameplay, it requires the right person for the job.

I too prefer gameplay over graphics, having said that, I dont accept the graphics at there current state are good enough to warrant that game being a success when comparing it to any of the other recent mmos of the pass 5 years. If youre running low on staff why not hire an intern to work on textures, im sure alot of artist would kill to have this on there resume. There's always the asking of the community to help, which can be rewarded with ingame items or titles, we the community have funded the game, we want to see the game develop into something we have been dreaming of since the Ultima days.

Death-Knell likes this.
  7. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Maybe even more important now to improve are the animations.

tradyblix likes this.
  8. dsmwookie

dsmwookie Avatar

I guess I'm word but I want gameplay and graphics. That is what will set Shroud apart. I know the budget is small, but that is what's required. If these things are addressed I'll give up some more money to assist.

Do we know if Shroud well support multiple cores yet?

9. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

That's a good question at the end. Running multiple threads definitely seems the way to go today and moving forward. I hope SotA can!

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Floors

Floors Avatar

we're running on unity so I'm pretty sure it's not going to be doing anything super special with multiple cores.

It's not like SoTA is a game that's going to tax anyone's gaming rig out there lol

11. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Unity and this game do utilize multiple cores.

Time Lord and Doppelganger like this.
  12. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

^ Mishri, never letting me down with good info! I figured Unity had to be multi-threaded

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Lord Balor Granitecrushe

Lord Balor Granitecrushe Avatar

One thing I wish I could see is more separation between the lots with more trees/bushes/etc.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

14. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Just imagine the New Britannia HOA; the Guardian would flee in terror. :D

I agree the lots could use a little more frills, but I'm also expecting a little more landscaping in general to the world. Who knows, maybe Gardener could be a new tradeskill, where you go out and find rare seeds and seedlings to transport back to their homes for special buffs or crafting materials. :)

15. Lord Balor Granitecrushe

Lord Balor Granitecrushe Avatar

Now THAT would rock

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

16. Cambion

Cambion Avatar

I would vote , but to do so would need an option that puts some context against the options , graphics graphics graphics but what about Game Play ....

If the Game Play is fantastic then I would reply what .... Graphics .....
    If the Game Play was dire and Graphics Fantastic , then I would reply what a fantastic vase the light source and shadows are fantastic, and sit hypnotized by the vase.

So the answer is I don't feel about the Graphics as they are just one part of the bigger picture. If that picture is broken then i will come back here and add something of value.

Kaisa likes this.
  17. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

So , any plans graphics wise?

18. Stoofa

Stoofa Avatar

I've always said that gameplay is key over graphics and I kind of stand-by that.
    The most important part is that I'm going to enjoy playing and find myself willing to do "grind" (well what others call grind) for fun (In UO I mined all my own ingots).

That being said, I do expect the graphics to be "up to scratch" with regards releases from the past 12 months. At the moment yes, they do need some work.
    Would I be upset if they shipped tomorrow as is? No, so long as there was a promise they would be looked in to.

19. G Din

G Din Avatar

I've been thinking about the graphics/environment a lot lately....and I think we got it all wrong. Looking at wasteland 2 with its semi-overhead point of view (rotating camera).

[​IMG]

This type of perspective is lost in today's games. Being able to see everyone from above is great for an MMO. I even think the entire visual experience is enhanced. The setting and environment look more appealing. Running through the towns in beta didn't give me and sense of a meaningful setting (if you know what I mean). The towns had no character.

Running through Vesper or Skara Brae in UO just had more appeal. I knew what town I was in because of the perspective from above to see the layout better.

Anyway, I would have preferred this type of visual aspect to the game.

P.S. Yes, Wasteland 2 is using Unity as well.

With greater funding I would have gone for graphics similar to GW2.

tradyblix likes this.
  20. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Descent for me. But i think they need improvement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.