The best review ever written

Discussion in 'New Player Experience Feedback' started by Geoff Speldrong, Dec 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I’m AL 90 and have never even seen the “special area “ of Upper Tiers (I did watch a video of the area once). I’ve only been playing since release 40 something.

Now off to master work a new Spear....

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  2. oplek

oplek Avatar

Cool story. I'm 90 too at over 2000 hours in. Then again, most of that was before the XP doubling.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  3. Geoff Speldrong

Geoff Speldrong Avatar

Awesome, thanks for that dude. I do want to touch on something though I am not a professional game reviewer I wish I was but I appreciate that, means it at least looked structured!

One thing you mentioned was dance parties, fishing, and building an empire. Aside from building an empire though, dance parties and fishing are kind of like side activities to the main focus of a game, at least in my opinion...I find that I myself play RPGs/MMOs for the character experience, although I know others play for the roleplay/interaction experience. I'll toss this one out to you, refining combat/making gaining EXP fun will only serve to increase the number of people you can invite to dance parties and fishing, which comes with a direct increase to the revenue stream to the devs, leading to additional improvements in the game for all. I know the community of this game is from a different time, as am I, but a game has to be profitable to continue being improved upon, that's an undeniable fact of life. If you feel like it, check out Motor City Online, and what happened. Long story short I logged in one day and my favorite, super hardcore game got shut down because it didn't appeal to enough people and thus wasn't profitable.

@Alleine Dragonfyre Also directed towards a centralized auction house/message board/market: I would wager that more people want purchasing/selling items to be as convenient and user friendly as possible. We can look to Wal Mart shutting down the local community stores by being priced better and having a much higher availability of items, and now Amazon is threatening to shut down Wal Mart if it doesn't keep up. Just as the mp3 beat out the cd which beat out the cassette which beat out the 8 track which beat out radio in terms of popularity, you can look and observe what people want by what people pay for.

Radio = no control/call the station to hear the song you want
    8 Track = crude rewinding and fast forwarding, poor sound quality
    Cassette = better tape life/functionality and in the later years of cassette you could almost select the song
    CD = Play my favorite song instantly
    MP3 = much smaller/faster/convenient device, immune to skipping

Human beings generally want/pay for convenience...

I participated in the WoW economy enough where I looked at message boards about how to play with the economy to gain personally, and the people who sit on the AH and undercut all day...well its a game for them to be as rich as possible, but that didn't mean I didn't get rich, and have all the things I wanted. I had more money than I knew what to do with. Trips to/from the AH took me...10-15 minutes then I was right back to doing what I wanted to do: playing the game.

Thanks so much to everyone for the attention/responses!

4. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

SoTA isn't WoW, however. It's not at all set up the same way. If it was I believe most of us wouldn't be here. I cannot stand the game, personally.

5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I think the Sims would disagree. And it isn't a big deal that you missed that part of Shroud, it's the supposed pro's who totally miss it that blows my mind.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  6. Geoff Speldrong

Geoff Speldrong Avatar

Correct, but my correlation is based upon wanting more players to play, and there have already been millions and millions of votes cast with wallets on what is more beneficial to having more people playing than not...and also, Alleine you friended me a week ago before I made this forum post and never said a word to me and I found out a little later that people friend each other on this game in order to use them as teleport hubs...convenience. xD

EDIT: Also again I don't want to seem like I'm attacking lol, the Sims is aimed at a specific type of RPG audience, those who basically don't care about any combat element of the game. It's not aimed at that person. It'd be like me telling you that you should buy a Corvette because they can get 30 MPG and ignoring the fact they don't have backseats...I feel SotA is aimed at both crowds...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  7. Alleine Dragonfyre

Incorrect. Actually I sent you a whisper saying I liked your name. I also mentioned it in verse chat.

Edit to add screenshot. It's not really a big deal, however I don't like it when someone says something untrue about me.

[​IMG]

Your voice is one of thousands here. Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  8. Geoff Speldrong

Geoff Speldrong Avatar

Oh well my apologies for forgetting that, it was probably my first or second day in the game...but honestly was that not something people did? Genuinely asking...

9. Alleine Dragonfyre

Oh yes, definitely. You just happened to pick on the wrong person ;)

10. Floors

Floors Avatar

Since we are on the topic of fixing stuff.... let's fix this. So many times I miss when people talk to me. If you're busy it's easy not to notice it.

11. Alleine Dragonfyre

Very true.

Dirk Hammerstrike likes this.
  12. MayaGreen

MayaGreen Avatar

I'd like to join you guys so much but I'm fully booked with my university homework (thanks God there're services like https://homework-lab.com/ to help poor students with their essays), but when I pass all my exams, I'll stuck here for a while;))

13. Vero

Vero Avatar

good luck! and better pass then! you wont want to miss out on this awesome game ;P

V

14. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

I understand and agree with what Vladamir is saying. If a person is proclaiming to do a comprehensive review of a game, how can they not mention some major parts of it? I've seen this in a ton of reviews of SotA as well. It's ok and fair to criticize certain systems within a game but don't give it a 6/10 if you don't even touch on some major features.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just pointing out that your review isn't comprehensive. I recommend that you dive into those other features and THEN write/update your review.

15. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Look forward to seeing you in game. Study hard so very much more important for you then gaming!

16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Well, as of this coming Thursday the reviewers won't have to go out of their way to try out housing, so that's good.

17. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

Are any of the MMORPG games actually finished?

Barugon and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  18. Katu

Katu Avatar

Yes, just before expansion comes out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.