Video of a new player face planting on Quest Hand In

Discussion in 'New Player Experience Feedback' started by Vladamir Begemot, Dec 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Timestamp sharing isn't working, go to the 13:00 mark.

It's really bad. Is there some reason that showing up with the item triggering the quest hand in menu can't just automatically hand in the item? Is there ever a time when that window pops open and you DON'T want to hand it in?

If so, how about deleting the right window (it's really a hybrid trade window, why?) and make it so just highlighting the item makes "Give Items" light up?

From my experience with new players and my own days of yore (this is still exactly the same as the days of yore) it's confusing as heck when you first have to deal with this window.

----- Edit adding his second video, wherin he literally says "So it says give him the bow. Oh God how do that?" He's literally experiencing anxiety when trying to hand in the quest, you can hear it in his voice. This is not good.

11:30

I know we're into convoluted and all, but it shouldn't be this hard. Pretty sure "after that triumph, I'm going to log out for a bit" meant "I'm done fighting the UI".

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

(And why does Nina still not play a die emote?)

3. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Well, after watching the first minute or so of that video and seeing that they didn't even realize the NPC was asking them their name and, instead of responding with his/her name, asked why they were looking at his knees... it was quite clear that person doesn't know how to pay attention.

Then when Samael asked if he/she had found any wounded (the key to getting a quest update from him) they totally didn't remember they had just spoken to Gawain (the "wounded knight") and didn't try to progress the convo further.

Clearly that person didn't want to put in any effort to read the dialogue and pay attention to what they were supposed to do. I stopped watching shortly thereafter because you can't help someone who doesn't pay attention to what they are supposed to do.

I don't blame the Devs or this game for this person having issues with anything they did. And, I never made it to the part about the trade window issue, but when it popped up for me the very first time for a quest hand in, I instantly realized it was letting me look for something to give the NPC from my inventory, so I scrolled through, found it, moved it over to the trade side on the right, and clicked the Give Items button. Not sure if that was this persons issue or not, but it was extremely simple and self explanatory for me when I first did it. o_O:confused:

How dumbed down can they make this game for people to understand what they need to do? I can't imagine how they could make it any easier than it already is.

4. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Unfortunately the timestamp isn't working. I'm sorry you ignored the point of the post though.

MrBlight likes this.
  5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

@Daxxe Diggler Here's another video. He obviously started out reading and if you watch the part I talk about in the first video you probably won't discount his whole experience based on him not seeing the name.

Honestly I've done that a bunch of times. How many times was I suddenly known as "Tracy" back in the day?

"How much simpler do we need to make it" isn't the same as "How bad can we make the UI and still get away with it." Watch at minute 2 for him already finding text that goes off the frame. He's literally in the first two minutes of playing and getting nailed by the UI in this one.

I guess it just depends on how many people you want playing.

MrBlight likes this.
  6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Editing first post with his second quest hand in debacle.

7. dcyumyum

dcyumyum Avatar

That's what turned me off on this game.

It's not that it needs to be "simpler", it should just work smoother. That video is very indicative of how it went for me and my daughter. That's why she only plays it for the dance and dress up portion of the game, and I am just trying to finish the story/lore portion.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Exactly. That guy put in a lot of effort trying to figure it out. A good UI needs no effort to use, it is intuitive.

I know UI updates are coming, and I hope by highlighting this specific one it can be moved up in priority so we can lose less new players. I'm pretty sure in that second video in the first post we just witnessed a player quitting due to frustration with quest hand in UI.

9. smack

smack Avatar

The UI never mentions that you need to drag-and-drop or double click the item from the "Inventory" to the "Items to Give" window.

The new user tutorial doesn't teach this either. Perhaps this could be an opportunity to improve that experience. During the tutorial, you are given a "quest" to go kill the watcher and loot it. They could enhance that to also require you given an item to Anais and teach you how to do that.

There are so many things that can be done to improve that tutorial...

10. dcyumyum

dcyumyum Avatar

Seems it was already done....

New Tutorial Area

As mentioned in Update #289 and Update #301 part of our Q4 efforts to improve the New User Experience is separating the tutorials from the story spaces in the three starting areas (Solace Bridge, Highvale, and Blood River). We are building a new focused tutorial space in the Isle of Storms that walks you through the game basics in a gated fashion (i.e. you cannot advance to the next room until you prove you can swing a sword). Once you complete all the tutorials you will then journey through the Lunar Rift to one of the three starting areas. Those areas are being polished to be more focused and tighter in their direction. We are also removing the tutorial elements and having them be almost entirely focused on story. In the case of Solace Bridge this means rebuilding it completely for Release 59.

Edit: Good thing that kid doesn't have many subscribers.

11. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Please don't. Possibly the most important thing I've ever said, so I'll say it real big-like.

IF HANDING IN QUESTS REQUIRES A TUTORIAL; <jokes go here>.

My sorry, not sorry contribution: If handing in quests requires a tutorial; you might be using a 5 year old UI designed by an MMO armchair quarterback from the 90's.

-----

This isn't rocket science, quest hand in is something that should be obvious.

Quest hand in shall neither need a tutorial nor cause people to quit the game in anxiety attacks.

And there's the test. If it is not IMMEDIATELY OBVIOUS how to hand in a quest for 100% of new players, it isn't good enough.

Go January, lets see that new UI!

MrBlight and dcyumyum like this.
  12. smack

smack Avatar

That's right, and the video made it plenty clear it's not immediately obvious enough for some. So while we wait for that grand redesign for quests, a quick short-term fix to the UI is likely needed, be it onscreen text, tooltip, etc, somewhere. The tutorial is the best place to do that, because clearly they felt showing you how to jump was so critically important, yet quests...not so much?

Addison and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  13. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

If quests can add things to your inventory without trading, they can remove them as well. Just make the the trigger phrase add a prompt to make sure players know responding yes will remove the item. Get rid of this UI window completely.

Vladamir Begemot and dcyumyum like this.
  14. smack

smack Avatar

Right...and why even require a trigger phrase at that point. Would love to see what they have planned for the whole quest system redesign.

dcyumyum and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  15. dcyumyum

dcyumyum Avatar

I didn't see that in the Q1 2019 Updates thread. Hope you don't mean January 2020?

16. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

From what I understand the questing is supposed to have a major overhaul for episode 2

That's why I have refrained from posting about it

Would be good to see a sample of what they have planned tho

17. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Yeah.. but overhauling the quest system now won’t raise funds... so it’s more vanity, store items and telethons for Sims of the Avatar. Focused on the money and not the core... now it may be to late to do so as well. Depressing..

Kain Darkmoor, dcyumyum and Addison like this.
  18. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

How about Adopt a Quest zone?

Allow people to purchase unique features while they work on a zone's quests.

Would need to ensure everything fits with the games lore and story, but you could do things like

1 quest in the zone that you can personally design

Your guilds heraldry on items etc in a section of a zone. Say a barracks or section of a castle.

Add some limited lots in quest zones. Maybe 1 or 2 in a zone. How about an S Mart Outlet in a forested zone? Or a BMC outpost in a mine?

Small section of the zone with deco related to a pot with a fast-travel link to the Pot

Personal input on the name, appearance, etc of a mini boss in the zone.

Unique loot drop, artifact or quest item designed by you.

Statue of your avatar added to the scenes deco in say a ruins. Personalize the plaque on your statue.

Unique priviledges for your avatar in a zone so you can be part of the story.

Probably a bunch they could do for additional funding.

Bedawyn, Azzamean and dcyumyum like this.
  19. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Really just sayin "Rethink how people hand in quests".

Nothing mind blowing here.

Submit.

dcyumyum and Jason_M like this.
  20. Katu

Katu Avatar

It's quite high horse you got there. Might wanna step down from it and notice, that its possibly another lost customer.
    Just because you can't imagine something, does not mean that the other is dump, right?
    This game is more oldschool than most of the Mmo's and even those have tutorials for the more simpler mechanism.
    Unless they wanna keep the target audience 50y+, the absolute minority, they need to make it easier for those who do not actually care about lore.

Azzamean and dcyumyum like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.