A GM in getting GMs..

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Dirk Hammerstrike, Jan 4, 2019.

?

How many GMs do you have?

1. 0

2.9%
  2. 1+

15.7%
  3. 5+

5.7%
  4. 10+

28.6%
  5. 50+

22.9%
  6. 100+

12.9%
  7. 150+

1.4%
  8. More

10.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

There should be some kind of reward for hitting 100 GMs. A title or something minor but fun to shoot for.

I've only got 13 so still a ways to go ;-)

Mhtic, FrostII, Hazard and 2 others like this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Hell, I'm still waiting for my "Bear Slayer" bow with over 40k slain ......... ;)

3. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Well, there is no really highlight reaching a GM (besides the faster learning for other players following in a party).

I would appreciate, if the title changes from Grandmaster to Master (at 100) and Grandmaster would be at 125/150.
    It's okay to master a skill - but to grand-master it, should be something really special ... and give more meaning.

May be this could provide the possibility to receive
    - ONE new special Grandmaster Skill
    - or a kind of bonus for ONE Skill you could choose (out of 3?) :)

4. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Yes sir, this sounds so much better as the current system.
    Also the sharing GM to "power level" a group member should be optionally. Why should I help a fellow party member where I am currently grouping with to make him stronger?
    It could possibly be that I am now helping a future enemy to get stronger...

I vote selective GM leveling sharing :)

StarLord, By Tor, ErikRulez and 2 others like this.
  5. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

I've always thought it was odd to go from "apprentice" to Grand Master. I would say Master at 100 and GM at 150. I think at 100 you should be able to train those with less than 100 and get a small bump in performance, maybe 5% more based on the skill gained so far or some other small benefit. When one reaches 150, you should be able to train those at any level and get another small bump in performance or small benefit. The extra performance reached shouldn't be anything game changing but it should be there to make the skill level rewarding to the player who put in the time to attain the rank.

In the past the devs have said skill level 80 where you start to become competitive and makes the most sense based on xp cost and diminishing returns, however I think this is a case where we should put the sidewalk were the people have been walking through the grass and make 100 that mark and give it a little more meaning. Additionally adding a higher GM level would give people something to shoot for and set Grand Master at a skill level that is more appropriate for the title.

6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Lvl 125 or 130 is a hard grind to get to.

Level 150 in a skill costs something like 160 million xp for the cheapest skills.

Level 150 in alot of magic skills costs more xp than almost anyone has accumulated in 3 years. And the higher skills cost doube the total xp mac has accumulated to reach 150

7. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

So that's truly a Grandmaster :)
    I got what you're talking about, Arkah.
    So may be at 125/130 title Grandmaster
    and at 150 Epic ...

There would be nothing to loose, I mean: if it says Master or Grandmaster is not so important, if you have 10 or more of them ;)

But changing the title could be a win, if with GM could go a special skill bonus ...

8. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

I'm already at 130 in one skill and I consider myself as a casual player. In my mind Grand Master in a skill should be a long term achievement amounting to many years of practice in a particular skill so it sounds about right to me. We have 4 more episodes to go if this thing plays out. It is also reasonable to assume there might be bigger and better opportunities for xp advancement in the future episodes. Might be nice for Mac to have something to work towards. Just my view on the long term for skills.

Feeyo and Dirk Hammerstrike like this.
  9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

It would be a huge nerf for the achievers

I like the idea of something else achievable at those levels but taking gm status away from lvl 100.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    FrostII and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  10. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

244 skills at 100 or higher on one character. Working to be able to mentor anything, anytime.

Mhtic, StarLord, Net and 3 others like this.
  11. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

I could easily have over 100 GMs but that isn't what it's all about. :)

Net, Athanil and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  12. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

I agree, with the increased rate of XP gain and the grinding for XP in placed like upper tears, level 100 skills are not anything special.

I would like to see these changes:
    level 100 = Master
    Level 130 = Grand master​

If you have mastered (level 100) every skill in a tree (including specialization in that skill) then you get a special title. Maybe something like these:
    Death tree = necromancer
    Fire tree = pyromancer (or sorcerer, since sorcery gems provide fire buffs)
    Taming = Beast Master
    Blades = Blade Master
    Bludgeon = Bludgeon Master
    Ranged = Archery Master​

And when specialization for crafting arrives, you can give titles for those also, for example:
    Alchemy - Master Enchanter (or Alchemist)
    Cooking - Master Chef​

Then, you could even add "degree" of mastery. For example in blades:
    Level 100-109 in each skill + level 100 specialization = Blade Master 1st Degree
    Level 110-119 in each skill + level 100 specialization = Blade Master 2nd Degree
    Level 120-129 in each skill + level 100 specialization = Blade Master 3rd Degree
    Level > 130 in each skill + level 100 specialization = Blade Grand Master (or as suggested above, use the word epic,such as Epic Swordsman).​

Mhtic, Jaesun, Hazard and 4 others like this.
  13. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Legendary Swords Man. These titles will push people to attain them. I like the idea. New players may not be happy about it. However in the end they will appreciate it.

14. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Spear Master here!

:)

15. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

sure call it anythign you want and a title means nothig, so what would it hurt.

Notice how some have replied about things that should have already happend; Bear Slayer, Chicken Wrangler, Fisher King, they really mean nothign but to those who want to show them.

Notice also some how this has been morphed into somthign some have equated to a skill level boost or somthing????

In the end a Title for gaining 10 - 50 - 100 - 200 gms is just a Title so sure go for it. Just make sure it is optional so I can keep my Duke Tag.

There are so many things are are actually affecting the game that need to bee ((and should have been)) fixed that minor things like this should be behind secondary.

Nick, Net and FrostII like this.
  16. Floors

Floors Avatar

The mistake was letting people GM EVERY. SINGLE. THING. If there had been some kind of limit, instead of seeing 300 + OCD GM toons around, you might see more diverse builds and people trying out different things.

As it is now it's just GM ALL THE THINGS.

I suppose it does keep the few we do have left playing, but I guarantee you it discourages newbies. I just started a new toon and it's like... ugh... this is gonna take forever again....

And I have the advantage of several shiny gold COTOS that at least got me decent equipment for my newbie build. Can't even IMAGINE the pain it would be starting a as a free account, and not putting money of any kind in.

THE HORROR.

Malimn, Bow Vale, Katu and 2 others like this.
  17. Floors

Floors Avatar

Item Affinity is coming in 2019. Maybe.

Dirk Hammerstrike likes this.
  18. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Respectfully, I will take exception to your comment that seeing Avatars with many GM's "discourages newbies".

If I were a "newbie" and saw someone (like my Avatar, Robert Frost) with tons of GM's - it would tell me 2 things:
    A) That amassing GM's is certainly possible.
    B) That I would have at my disposal (if I were polite) a wealth of knowledge about skills/gaining skills/mobs/etc. from that person.

If I were a "newbie" this would be MOTIVATION for me and not "discouragement" .
    I look at SotA just like I looked at UO - as a challenge - a long term challenge.

And that challenge would keep me playing for years.

19. Floors

Floors Avatar

Why is only a thousand people playing then if I'm wrong ? lol. What happened to everyone from March ? I saw them. They gone.

I always know I'm getting something right when someone on the forums "takes exception".

We can agree to disagree here.

But I really do think that it would be better for the game, in the long run, if we encouraged more characters vs one "do it all" type character. The game setup doesn't encourage that atm, it actively discourages it.

I realized that when playing with multiple characters on one account, for example, the game barely even supports it. For example all the quests are still done. It thinks you are the owner of your other characters stuff, and tells you you are, and your actions affect your other character.....

Even the pins from your other char are still pinned ! Come on.... I know it's supposed to be "you" but it's a little silly. Especially when you PAY for extra slots to do something different...

Anyway I digress. Back to asking for things to be even harder than they currently are in 3, 2, 1...

20. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Have Spear, Carpentry and Fishing GM. I will probably GM Blacksmith in a few days.

FrostII and Dirk Hammerstrike like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.