Archery and Jousting competitions

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Nick, Jan 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Avatar

Was wondering if it can be done.

For archery, use the telescope effect to create the zoom in effect, to zoom in to a target. Left click and hold, to draw and hold breathe. Release to fire arrow. Chris can do his math to see where the arrow lands.
    Distance, wind speed direction, rain, archery stats.

Similarly for Jousting, use the zoom in effect, the reticle will be where the lance head lies. Stats like strength, heavy armour can make a subtle difference. Again, chris can do the math to determine the score and if the player is being unseated.

The only game I played with jousting is Defender of the Crown, so I don't really have much idea what a good jousting system should be like.

Would be nice to have such competition, even if you are just competing with NPCs. With your name being on the town bulletin board. (ranking) :) Can be a nice gold sink for players to pay to compete. Just like an arcade machine.

2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

Jousting in Second Life... check it out... the mechanics are very simple but, I guess, it works... :D

Nick likes this.
  3. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Think big! boat jousting! lol

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Jaesun, CatherineRose and Nick like this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ever since DotC I've always wanted another game with jousting! I'm not sure I want to count 2nd life though, what I've seen so far makes me cringe. :)

I imagine either jousting or archery would work with the current skill and targeting system. You simply select your target and the result is based on skill. Or in the case of jousting.. skill vs skill..

Archery could be based on skill + range.. the target would report a score or location when hit.

Nick likes this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

6. Nick

Nick Avatar

A simple way of doing it will be good I guess. Not sure how many will agree using Chris math for that. Imagine a bow 150 misses the target 3 times in a row due to rng....

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Yeah but if you're going to use that example I'd have to point out that misses in combat are pretty rare. I've never seen a miss on a practice dummy or target. :) But I would certainly put greater emphasis on character skill.

Now if they wanted to make a mini-game out of it involving player skill that would be pretty cool too.

Nick likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Avatar

Yeah, it’s rare but it happens. Chris maths is fundamentally correct, just needs to be reminded this is a game. It’s about needing more fun than accurate in game.

If it’s just calculations, perhaps the dev can have something created in the next QA and get players to feedback then implement in next release.

9. Floors

Floors Avatar

The last time I asked about Jousting, certain individuals you are all familiar with from these forums that won't be named Pooh-Poohed it and said "nobody wants jousting or horses, work on something else". That was 6 months ago.

I've done my part by contributing to the stretch goals... TWICE.

10. Nick

Nick Avatar

Personally, I'd prefer them to focus on quests, journals etc.... . Since this is a wish list, I'd wish for some mini games that players can compete with each other that requires pure skill and a little bit of stats to give an edge. Jousting and archery makes most sense. They can build a kobold simulator where players walk in to compete, so there's no full scale animation required.

11. Floors

Floors Avatar

Yup. That was what everyone said before. And that is why we don't have, and won't have, jousting.

12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Anyone who's said 'nobody wants jousting' obviously hasn't paid much attention. In fact, I seem to recall even asking about it during a KS livestream to which LB gave a positive answer and it's come up off and on since.

BTW: one of the first things you'll notice if you enter my town is a List complete with bleachers. :)

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Now, now... we have 4 more EPs to go.. it won't be soon sure.. but you never know. ;)

14. Nick

Nick Avatar

I believe there's a nice place in Aerie suitable for jousting. :)

Ya, if they can't give us a full fledged jousting. Maybe incorporate a DoTC jousting simulator with better graphics.

15. Nick

Nick Avatar

hmm...looking at the catapults in DoTC, maybe players should be able take over the catapults in sieges and have them firing towards the obsidian cabs.

16. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I am all in favor for jousting! I remember hosting a jousting event in UO on the Lake Austin shard.

And DOTC is the best game from the 1980’s! I played the snot out of it on my Atari 1040ST.

17. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

I think to be fair, the position of wanting them to have funtional current systems before adding more broken systems to fix, is pretty reasonable.

18. Curt

Curt Avatar

Jousting should wait until we have horses.

For archery do it with moving targets in a field filled with porcelain (easy breakable objects) Winner is the one kill all moving targets within time limit and breaks least objects

19. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

This was the first time I ever looked at a game with great graphics(for the time period). I still remember the day my dad took me to the store to look at the amiga. I will carry this memory to the grave. They were way too expensive back then.

Lord Trady of Blix and Jaesun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.