Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Graphics Looking Great on Linux!

Discussion in 'Release 61 Feedback' started by Black Tortoise, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

So this comes as someone who played since R10, and while sometimes on Windows 7, played on Linux as much as possible. Ive used 2 different nvidia cards (currently using a 1080). Ive thoroughly compared this game's visuals between Windows and Linux, and as expected, the former is usually a bit better. In the early days, Windows always rendered things much better than Linux.

So I had been on Ubuntu 14 for my gaming rig for a long time, and only just upgraded to Ubuntu 18 in the last 2 weeks. I have seen a huge jump in graphics performance and the overall visual look and feel of the game. It renders so nicely in the latest Ubuntu, with the latest semantic release of the proprietary nvidia driver (currently v 415). I have all the settings on max and I cant tell Im not playing in Windows anymore (other than the fact that the OS is not horrible :p ).

The visuals in this game have come such a long way. I still remember goofing around in Braemar in R10 when I first joined. I remember the graphics being pretty much the same when I plopped my house down in R32. I remember the whole next year, watching the graphics get better in the Windows experience, and stay the same in Linux. I think some Unity bug prevented an upgrade for the Linux client for a long time, and thats why it fell behind.

In any event, this game looks gorgeous now. I love the way it looks, and the way it keeps on improving. Thanks for making Novia gorgeous for us Linux players!

...oh and as an aside, I purposefully no longer have access to a Windows system. Linux games or bust from here on out :)

Alley Oop and Barugon like this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

LOL. Now and again, I have to use Windows and everytime I think 'OMG, how do people tolerate this?'

Feeyo and Black Tortoise like this.
  3. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Luckily we have Steam with DirectX rendering over Vulkan now. Opens the gates to a lot of games that are not being released for GNU/Linux.
    And guess what? DVXK runs much better on Linux then on microsoft native DirectX. Who would have thought that :p

Black Tortoise likes this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Unfortunately, not many games actually work under this. I tried Divinity: Original Sin II and it couldn't get past the .NET setup.

5. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I am not sure what steps you exactly took to get dvxk or Proton working. But it has a few dependencies there you need to work out. As DVXK works best on the latest vulkan nvidia binary driver. And the Steam proton libraries are best to be replaced with the DVXK ones.

I have not tried Original Sin II tho, so could be that game is not yet supported anyhow.
    EDIT: it should work. :)

6. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

The only issue I have is lot loading taking an insane amount of time. I should see if the game is detecting my full video memory capacity. Maybe it keeps unloading stuff from VRAM despite having an insane amount to work with. (With the 8GB video card I have almost half of the game graphics assets should be able to fit in video memory.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.