Fish mask eyesore. Id pay money to be able to filter those...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mystarr, Jan 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

That's so weird. I did a lol, for real.

dcyumyum and Barugon like this.
  3. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

The fish masks look better than half the weird dance party junk they have already added to the game.

Bom likes this.
  4. dcyumyum

dcyumyum Avatar

If we ever get mounts you might see me wearing a horse mask while riding a horse!! Immerse yourself in that!!

Stella Moon and Cordelayne like this.
  5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Maybe we will have fish mounts! So you can wear a horse mask while riding a fish!

Bom, Elwyn, Feeyo and 3 others like this.
  6. Xkhan

Xkhan Avatar

At the risk of being flamed by everyone I say enjoy! There is already sooooo much silly stuff in this game AND 'you all' seem to enjoy / want more so I am honestly shocked over the fish heads. Dance parties? Really? We have silly wings (fairy) and silly emotes (open umbrella) and silly mounts (cocunuts)...why would you be surprised at fish heads. Meanwhile my quest to find gold and silver scraps continues.

7. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

We do have to keep in mind the comparative costs here. I agree with everything you say, by the way. But for this, we need to keep in mind that its stupidly cheap for them to duplicate existing items (e.g., a paver) and change the texture. They dont spend much time or effort on those things, its cheap and fast to create them. Most of the things we want are expensive and take a few iterations to develop.

Regardless, I do think the devs could use a little more restraint when reaching for such low hanging fruit. The fish masks are just a step too far, and allow them to become a pattern for a helmet is way, way too far over the line.

While I think the DJ emote, and the whole concept of "DJ-ing" in this game is of the same quality of the fish heads, the dance parties themselves arent much of a problem. Why wouldnt a bunch of Novians hang around and party and dance? Also, thats not something that floods the whole game world - youre not likely to come across a dance party while adventuring, though you may come across a traitor in a fish mask. Dance parties are something you have to choose to experience, fish masks will assault our eyes against our will.

8. Gia2

Gia2 Avatar

Sometime I ask myself where the common sense of beauty and lore got lost..

9. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

I don't see how it takes more effort to take something that already -is- in the game, perhaps give it a special colour, and use that. Examples are many of the vases, urns and vessels we find in dungeons and NPC buildings, the dresses some NPCs wear, the three-braids hairstyle, hanging sausages decoration, the pig that is being roasted on a stick, curtains, stretched hides, a full-size version of the tables in the mage room in the Rise (the ones on deco merchants are miniature copies), archery practice targets, a gold hoard, simply other color variants of existing rugs, and so on.

10. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Ah, ok, I think just about all of those are probably not much effort. I have a feeling the hairstyle is a big effort.

There are certainly too few dresses in the game. Allowing avatars to use as deco / wear everything in the NPC world > silly stuff like fish face.

Bom likes this.
  11. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

How is it much effort to allow players to choose a hairstyle some of the female NPCs in Norgard akready have?

12. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Well, I think all of us could participate in another kind of view ...

Which one? The view others have. For sure, there are often about 70/80% thinking the same way, but there are also the other 20-30%.

For example(!)
    1. People who love Ultima
    2. People who love Ultima online
    3. People who love fantasy roleplaying
    4. People (not only girls!) who just wanna have fun ;)

And what kind of solution could there be not to annoy people who wants to have also fun (in definition of 1-3) ?

1. Giving back the private online mode - this was and is a great feature promised from beginning. (I don't say make it the default option, but give players the possibility to use it how it was explained ...).

2. Also/Instead restrictions in different ways would be helpful, for example:
    2.1 Seasonable items get a timeline where they will be loaded/shown - after that they will not (like christmas trees or easter egss or Pumpkin head or Krampus ...)
    2.2 Not directly suitable stuff (wings, masks, deco) to the original realm created by @Lord British could be toggled on/off
    2.3 Besides: Vendors having NO items to sell shouldn't be loaded!
    ----> Think about the load deco times we face every day of playing for deco some people dropped 30 days before and forgot, christmas is over?
    ----> Also think about the load times for planting stuff. Is it necessary, everbody must see them?

So imagine this scenario, please:
    A player likes to play online, because of houses and friends - (s)he loves fantasy role playing and feels "home" in good old Ultima (online).
    Therefor (s)he will play in "open" mode.
    Now it occurs, (s)he encounters the fish pirates, an order living next to her/his home town. And assume, (s)he won't like (facing) fish!

Having a simple option:

x toggle non Lord British story related items off (wearables like masks, wings)
    x toggle non Lord British story related items off (deco like rainbow colors or other items)

- and (s)he would be so happy, while the order of the fish pirates could wear their fish masks and having fish parties all the time! (S)he never gets bothered by them any more!

This would be a great solution and another great game feature for everybody to use the own game style and following the own path of fun definition :)
    Never have to see any masks and wearables we won't ...

And if we have this nice feature implemented:
    Sell those fishmasks! And of course Alienmasks next time! And Bunnymasks, whatever our heart is asking for ...
    If 10% like to buy and wear it and enjoy it - let them enjoy it without annoying the other 90% of players ...
    [I would be happy about a fantastic looking -game related- Werewolf mask for a nice dungeon story ;)]

80-90% will not care any longer about, because they can
    x toggle non Lord British story related items off

BUT: If someone creates a special themed dungeon it should be shown (like a kind of PvP place!) how it was created!
    So if the Order of the Fishmen presents their creepy fishy dungeon, you will know what you can expect in there! ENTER if you dare! ;)
    AND: an owner of an Outlander owned/founded Town*
    should have this Option for his whole town (so he haven't to care about to inspect houses and deco stuff around and nobody must be banned!)

[*Yes, I mean POT ;) Well, I really would appreciate the OOT or OFT more, because it would sound more story related to @Lord British's story :) Outlander came to Novia and founded / owned towns ...
    Telling not to change it because it was in for so long sounds strange - so many things were in and changed more than once ... Had to say this, if we're talking about sharing another view ;)]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Bom likes this.
  13. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I want more hair as well, but devils advocate, putting in a new one requires that they work with the large quantity of hats and helms we have. So it probably is much easier to make a mask that can't have a hat than it is to make hair that can.

Jaesun likes this.
  14. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I just want to color the stupid hair accessories to any color but red. I get a whole new hairstyle would have to go through all the testing against all the headpieces and such. Lots of effort. No problem. . Just please...the red baubles....PLEASE.

Although thinking about it, they added a new hairstyle as part of the don't fear the reaper april fools thing....so I mean, how much effort was it really? A lot of the hair just gets tucked into hats anyway....

But I agree with @Helvig Ingvildsdottir fully here,
    There are hundreds of assets already in game - clothes, decorations, etc. The assets exist. I know that giving the players these assets would require that they add certain physics to them, but it wouldn't require new art. Changing textures on existing things and offering more options (like the wooden walls, granite blocks, etc.) where the physics is already done, clone it, make it a differnt color, add a component to the crafting recipe - voila, more stuff! Some of the older furniture like the crafted bookshelves etc. could reallllly use a polish pass. Same recipe, add say "varnish" that alchemists make out of whatever...new recipe, for fancier bookshelf. Same physics. Same asset retextured. Would add a lot of variety.

15. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Quite a bit, actually. That hair has to work with every hat, cloak and chest piece in the game (depending on length of hair). Each new hat or hair requires a pass-through (quality) or a full redraw to go together witthout clipping, missing hair, hair through garments or headpieces etc.

I do think that the effort should be put in to what people are asking for, like hair and faces, however than this ridiculousness. That is, AFTER they fix the fact that I go bald when wearing 35% of the hats in the game now, heh, as @Paladin Michael points out below.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  16. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

--> most of us were asking to fix, what still exists before creating new kind of stuff with possibility to provide new problems.
    There are still a few clothes needing polishing, especially what you told above like clipping and missing hair ...
    We need a polish pass through character creation (including hairstyles) and wearables :)

Chatele and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  17. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Yes you're right. I forgot about that. Then again, they didn't seem to put all that much effort into the existing hairstyles, either, considering that my braids are still clipping through some of the cloaks and don't show at all when wearing some headwear. Also, with some headwear, my hair shows at places where it should not show. And that's a hairstyle that's been here forever.

18. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yes, there are loads of hair-clipping-on-cloak-or-armor problems. There's also the 'braid anomaly' in which the hateful red baubles disappear when wearing some (but only some!) hats. Like, priestess headdress no, wizard hat yes. I actually like the hairstyle much better when wearing some of the hats not only because it gets rid of the baubles (but leaves the braids) but it tends to squish the braids closer to my head, inexplicably, but this can cause issues with cloaks.... Not sure what's going on there at all. But the non-bauble hair is a big improvement. Having hair that 'hangs down' pretty much discourages any sort of fluffy cloak or back item as you're going to have problems. I'm not sure what the issue is from a technical perspective, but we've all played dozens of games where you can have long hair so it seems odd that in Sota we can't for technical reasons. But its a small thing. Can totally let it pass if we just had more choices period and the hair we did have was a)functional b) not marred by stupid redbauble!

Maybe the fish mask are 'easier' cause it obliterates head entirely, but that doesn't make it desirable!

19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Theres at least 1, maybe 2 towns in game with fish heavily engrained in thier culture, so i dont think “it doesnt belong” is a valid argument. As far as ultima lore, masks do exist. And this is a totally rebuilt civilization from the old world.

I think if you think its ugly your just gonna look for reasons it shouldnt exist in game. Fish masks are no more in or out of line than any other equipable in game.

Jaesun likes this.
  20. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

How can fish masks that look like someone has stuck a dead cod on their head be in any way inline with this or any other game ??

It looks ridiculous and will do nothing but cause damage to how people perceive the game.

These and the almost equally daft horse masks that people are apparently expected to buy for the mount stretch goal should never have seen the light of day if any kind of "is this actually a good idea" filter had been applied by the Devs.

Hopefully expressing such an "outrageous' view won't get me auto moderated again...we shall see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.