Deeds after the Outskirts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladamir Begemot, Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

During the livestream it was mentioned that this is being discussed.

I like this idea a lot.

I have even said more than once that some players shouldn't even be pushed into the Outskirts and onto the questing/adventuring path, as they would rather stay home and craft. Yes, that means I would advocate having a deed as soon as you make your character, and appearing in a random, active (at least one player currently in the zone) POT with lot markers available. Poof!

I know, it's crazy, dump them straight in a town? My sources say yes.
    ------

The Village deed for finishing the story, I'm not sure that's as good of an idea.

After they have the row home you have introduced our best aspect (yay!), and put them on the road to meeting people in a town(yay!) and getting involved(yay!).

Now they are either into the game or they aren't. If they are then the second freebie isn't needed. If they want more, they'll get it.

Additionally it feels like "Please play the story!" but at the moment, I'm not so sure that is something to encourage.

Let those who are determined to push through the story despite the interface do so. But it's going to a lot better after the overhaul so don't try to push people through it now while it's getting the game hammered in reviews because of the UI/quest system.

Once you've dished out the first deed there's no point in twisting peoples arm to finish the quests.

2. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

I dont think there should be a second lot at the end of the story. For the complettion of the story the Row lot deed should be upgraded and not handed out a second lot deed.

Feeyo, Rinaldi, Simon LeBon and 14 others like this.
  3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

That's a good idea.

4. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

I like the idea of helping new players get into POTS faster ...the more stuff they get in the beginning of theyr journey the better . To add to this new players could also be awarded with the new weapons and some fancy armor patterns from store but with an expiring date on them like 10 or 20 days , 0 value and non tradable . Together with the potions the scrolls it adds up .. so based on what path they choose for example they start as an archer they could get a royal elven longbow that expires in 10 days ....or unique starter gear with store pattern on it that expires .

Cordelayne, Bom, Boo Ladedada and 2 others like this.
  5. Sixes

Sixes Avatar

I'd be against an automatic upgrade to a village lot. Especially when the discussion is going on about upgrading of lots via game. I have absolutely no problems with the earlier awarding of the non-trade row lot.

6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I was actually, really against this idea. But the more I think about it, getting new players to fully enjoy the housing system early, would actually be a good thing.

The Shroud as a final reward then is fine.

Cordelayne, Chatele, Rinaldi and 4 others like this.
  7. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

A lot of people want a yard as opposed to just a row house.

It should be clear to anyone looking to buy the game you can get a house with a yard without spending money.

Once they introduce the row lot with no house, the village deed is probably not necessary.

Also they need to add some row sized houses that give you some yard space.

A cardboard box or maybe allow you to dig a hole in the ground and cover it with some bulletin flyers.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Feeyo, Bom and Paladin Michael like this.
  8. Kelanor

Kelanor Avatar

I think getting a village sized lot is epic myself. I like the game, but getting a village sized lot or higher is something that would never be in the cards for me. At least this would give me something to strive towards at the end to kinda let me feel like "not a peasant". I'm supposed to be a k'nig'it after all. If I can have a village sized guard tower at the end and watch over my companions I would be a happy camper. Plus village size isn't breaking the bank as far as the housing system itself goes. If people really want bigger/better you still have town>city>keep>castle. Give us peasants a bone. :)

They will be increasing their online sales of village houses, without saying "hey if you want a non-peasant shack: please pay cost of 2-3 AAA games at this time"
    Because I'm sorry... With child, wife, dogs, and family... I personally can't justify that. My wife would kill me...

9. CICI

CICI Avatar

Sure hope they cap the paid tax's @ 30 days on the free deeds & no trade :D
    atm taxed deeds u can have 104 days

Also you can farm gold to buy a village deed (soon upgrade to one via cotos)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Bom, Jaesun and Paladin Michael like this.
  10. Kelanor

Kelanor Avatar

I think this is a great move. This game has trouble with not only attracting attention, but also "retaining" that attention.
    Players are surrounded with many different sources of entertainment. Player spends 100+ hours of gameplay finishing story and they are rewarded with a little shack and a cloak. Now player has a decision, move on, or play in their shack.
    This game has alot to offer, but still is very rough around the edges with all the other entertainment options at our disposal. A cookie here and there to help entice the players to stay couldn't hurt. I love it, after they start, give them their shack to get introduced into the housing community, and if they go through the trouble of completing their 100+ hour story they get a nice "cottage" I'll call it since that's roughly the size of village houses.

I'm still not quite done with story yet and i'm at 127 hours of play time on steam's tracker. That is almost as much time as I have spent on Dark Souls 3 and that was a superb AAA title.

Retention is your enemy here, retention and competition.

K1000 likes this.
  11. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

I would also prefer something like this:

1. Okay, giving the row deed after finishing all three Outskirts is fine so a player can get earlier into that interesting part of game.

Therefor it would be great we could receive something like a SPECIAL QUEST, given by @Lord British, which we have to do after we finished the Outskirts.
    Arabella could tell us - after we finished the Outskirts (well, after we got the 3 main virtue banners) - to visit Lord British, because he is in need of help ...

--> What to do for him could vary ;) [A special random enemy, a few crafting ingredients, a special recipe ...]

And after doing a favor to Lord British himself(!) he grants us a row deed! In game we could receive a document by him. This really would be something remarkable in the game.

2. After our Avatar finished all main paths (Truth, Love, Courage) we could receive the right to upgrade our deed (and as we now - we can do this with ingame gold and COTOs next time).
    May be for another -more challenging- favor to Lord British at this time? ;)
    After that, we could find a letter by Lord British in our mail(!) telling us, we gained the right to upgrade our given lot deed!

And of course: This deed shouldn't be tradeable.

I see no need to give out a village lot deed "for nothing", this also should be something hard-earned in game.
    May be a good amount of COTO's also could help players at the end of Episode 1 to get closer to the upgrade for a village deed ...

As all of us know: Such an item counts more as something we just receive as a kind of gift ...
    The feeling after receiving the banner of Justice or the banner of Honor, for example, is really another one as to receive the banner of Love at the end of the Outskirts ...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  12. Floors

Floors Avatar

It's a bad idea. One in a series of bad ideas lately (like the Lord of the Isle setup and getting rid of permanent bundles)

Getting a row lot after beating the game is reward enough for the dedicated. Giving out Village lots for doing those very weak outskirts quests just devalues property for everyone.

A big improvement would be removing the house from the row lot, then it is almost as valuable as the village lot as random cool structures can be placed there.

13. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

There should not be a village lot deed given.

14. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Known as basement....I would have to believe these would still be usable on an empty row lot

Ragnarr Lodbrok likes this.
  15. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

So it was row lot early on and then it gets upgraded to a village lot when you get your shroud.

16. Kelanor

Kelanor Avatar

I don't recommend fighting it honestly, de-valued properties or not. Legends of Aria launches on steam in 5 days, you're gonna need all the "cookies" you can get to keep players from looking towards the competition.

"Join the dark side, we have cookies!"

Also for anyone on the fence about it, don't do it! Stay please. :)
    I don't know about you but I don't think i could go back to mouse movement only and long corpse runs with high chances of all your stuff being gone when you finally return.

17. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Well, again alot of opinions. Not easy to decide ...

I remember a thread, where I reported a bug (row houses can't be removed from row lot deed, even the option is in game!) and it was said it wouldn't be one.
    [here if you like to read about]

And in the live stream from Friday, 4th of January 2019, @Chris told they just forgot to give the possibility to do so for row lot deeds ...

Because things have been done this way 5 years ago shouldn't be a reason not to do things. Never.
    But to provide great content also means not to give it away without a kind of effort ...

And referring to my posting above:
    NOW that we are granted to upgrade lot deeds with ingame currency (equal if gold or crowns) there shouldn't be a village lot deed reward - for what reason?
    I just would be fine with it, if at end of Episode 2 we could upgrade for free or instead choose a house from the crown store.

dcyumyum likes this.
  18. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

@Paladin Michael it wasn't that they forgot, it was used as a method to cut view distance in order to increase fps.

Paladin Michael likes this.
  19. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Also they need to add some row sized houses that give you some yard space. I asked this question for the live stream the other night. No answer. They didnt even do any question/answers persay. But i agree other than having the multi floor houses they need more craftable or even add on store type houses for row lots. Not everyone likes living in a high rise. The two story style that comes with is fine but its chunky clunky. Need something more cozy. Even down size the craftable log cabin house would be a good idea.
    House styles need an upgrade for sure.

As for giving the row lot deeds earlier I think its a good idea. Get them used to home ownership and such and give them more purpose to play than just grinding skills and such. I figure once they open up the no house required row lots most folks will live in their basements. LOL. But hey thats ok as long as their row lots dont lool shabby.

Chatele and K1000 like this.
  20. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

I dont want to see people move on to other games...but that is their choice. BUT...i have played LOA and its not any easier or harder than SOTA. Frankly i think Sota is better. Not because i have played it for 3 yrs but for the fact that the social aspect is better.
    LOA is a good game. Fun and entertaining but at this point and time is still being built out. The options for certain aspects are limited and well I dont like PVP. It is a Pvpers dream world in my opinion. MY OPINION not that of others. So dont bash me for it.
    People will come and go in all games. So thats their decision. Frankly i have seen more come to Sota and stay than leave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.