Very Long time neede are the Manaquins, Armor Stands, time to put some work on them

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Weins201, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

We get new stuff every release that is taking up more and more space in a well decorated home except that Armor sets as still not in a way that can be displayed with effectivly.

Something like this would have been better received by at least x500% over Ugly fish head.

It is also something that hass been asked for and requested over and over.

We are long past allowing small things like this and keep being give more and more unwanted / need "stuff"

2. Floors

Floors Avatar

So sell it. Better yet, destroy it if it's a fish head.

You're conflating 2 things... a needed improvement with stuff you personally don't like.

you have the power to destroy items or better yet sell at a massive profit items you don't want..... what's the issue ?

How many vendors have crap from previous livestreams for sale at 10,000 IGG, 20,000 IGG...

Joe noob out there wants a black ice wand you don't want.... it's your gain!!

The things you mentioned in your post are NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

What specifically is the benefit if we could display armor sets? For deco purposes? Vanity? Selling? Why should they spend time on this?

4. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

we can display armor now. but, you can't tell what it looks like as it contorted to sit on flat surface. being able to show off different outfits as they were designed, on a human form, is a much better option.

5. Lained

Lained Avatar

Pretty much, I can only wear one at a time and with the armour/clothing beautifully designed it'd be nice to show them off as a set rather than stacked on shelves, pedestals, etc.

[​IMG]

+1

6. reesian

reesian Avatar

This is not needed, sorry. No need to spend any development time on anything more complex.

7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I feel that it's very much necessary.

8. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

This would be a wonderful improvement, but I'd rather they fix other things first, to be honest.

9. Hellscream

Hellscream Avatar

Indeed more necessary and demanded than any other "decorations"

Stevvcash and Caernarvon like this.
  10. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

Honestly, I'm not sure what's complicated about making displayable armor, the assets already exist since it is displayed on people and scales. I would assume it's less difficult and more in line with what people want than a fish head mask. Maybe I'm out of touch with the fish head mask loving youth tho.

Stevvcash and Boris Mondragon like this.
  11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

A theory, submitted for your approval:
    • The tech to make a piece of deco a Wearable is currently dependent on the object wearing it being a PC.
    • The tech to make a piece of deco 'wearable' by another piece of deco doesn't exist.
    • The tech to make a piece of deco 'wearable' by another piece of deco is non-trivial.
    I don't believe it is easy to do as this is, as grumpy pointed out, a very long standing request of which the development team is well (I would suspect painfully) aware.
    If this were a simple task, they would have done it long ago.
    All evidence suggests that it is Not.
    Conversely, simple deco items and wearable ARE easily produced, which is why they're appropriate as Livestream Stretch goals.
    Equating them, and wanting them to stop doing the easy bit so they can do the hard bit isn't an equivalent trade-off, even without getting into the differing skill sets required.

What features from the Q1 Plan would you sacrifice to have this?

Be assured, I've often requested a status on getting mannequins... and it's a feature I eagerly anticipate... They know it's something a lot of people want, so they'll get it to us when they can.

Lained likes this.
  12. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I don't often agree with Weins, but this time I do. I don't think he means to add this instead of fixing bugs or any other upcoming important content. He just would like to see this added instead of frivolous new stuff like the largely unwanted fish head masks.

Mannequins are something that many people have requested and asked for since we were able to place armor as deco. Since the news of the fish head masks, I've heard more negative comments about them then positive comments, some people asking if they could pay to have a filter to not see them!

Some people think the fish head masks are really cool, but many do not. Personally, it doesn't bother me either way. I'll likely never wear it other than to try it on or maybe wear it for halloween costume or something. But it will mostly just sit in a container somewhere unused most of the time.

But mannequins that would display armor would be great for armor shops to help them display what they are selling. The pedestal trick works for some things, but most of the cloth/leather items lay flat and look folded up so the "display" doesn't really show them off well.

I realize that this tech is not an easy thing to implement. As Rufus said, if it were, we would have had it already. But if I had the choice of getting a craftable mannequin that would display a whole suit of armor, I'd take that over any 2 or 3 full sets of livestream stretch goals combined. I'd even be OK if they did a quarterly stretch goal and had a higher benchmark ($250k ?) to reach in 3 months to get this and maybe a few lower benchmarks for a few easy to make things. I bet they would get a lot of sales during that period to try to meet that goal. ;)

13. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

Seasonal content, which is temporary in it's nature anyway. When a team has limited resources, devoting those limited resources to seasonal content is devoting time to impermanence.

Stevvcash likes this.
  14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Are you talking about the Seasonal Encounters? Krampus, Arch Lapin, Pumpkinhead, etc. Or the seasonal store items?
    If the first, there may be at least some semblance of LoE and required skill sets... Though I suspect that the LoE on the new tech would still be higher.
    If, instead, you're speaking of the seasonal store content, there is still no semblance of parity in either LoE or require skill set, and not producing them could well impact the viability of the store as their (sole) source of income.

15. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Why don’t they tweak the training dummy to allow armor set and weapon/shield on it. No need to reinvent the wheel. Imagine the aesthetic of placing some as deco guards. Just a thought. R/Boris/El Pirata/Black Sails Forever.

16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Why do you think this would be any easier to accomplish? NPCs aren't capable of wearing random wearables now. The ability to give NPCs gear and have them wear it is another long standing request which also has a non-trivial level of effort attached.
    Secondly, Training Dummies, and other NPCs are still subject to the very modest NPC Deco Limits. Do you want Armor Deco Mannequins to be added to the pool of things we already have competing for NPC slots?

17. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

If it can be a model tweak from the current practice dummy yes. Not only for the deco aesthetic but also for vendors to feature their latest creation. It’s a thought and idea. If it causes to reinvent the wheel then it may not be worth it but only the SOTA Devs know that answer.

18. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

Armor graphics exist, they get painted on pcs which are represented graphicly to other pc's, and they even move around and do all sorts of crazy stuff. Putting them on a static "manequin" can't possibly be outside of the "fish head mask" level of work to accomplish. By your logic updating tooltips is a complicated task that takes up too much time.

Stevvcash, Jaesun and Boris Mondragon like this.
  19. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I vehemently disagree. But, as neither of us knows the code base, this must remain a matter of opinion.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Jaesun and Black FjP like this.
  20. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

The first. I recognize the need to create items for the store. In general, I would prefer to see permanent content over seasonal experiences (pumpkinhead, krampus, etc.) that players could continue to enjoy. I'm not saying do away with that content all together, nor am I trying to suggest that its a 1 to 1 choice correlation. Of all the schedule items though, I'd easily drop the seasonal experiences to see anything else (for instance, I'd prefer bi or quarterly story advancing experiences) including adding something like Weins suggested above. However, that's personal preference. Ultimately, its the team's choice as to what they do and I accept that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.