The Hard Questions & Ideas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by majoria70, Jan 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

So after mostly hearing of things coming up I questioned some things. So Episode 2 is coming up soon. We have very few devs at the moment to work on this game and they are doing wonderful things as they can. When will we get more Devs again is a question I have? We lost so many of those who were here since the beginning.

Questions into what to do to bring this game to a success status which I of course still think is possible. I am totally not against 'things and fluff' coming into the game. This is a Sandbox game after all. The more the better imo such as more clothes, armor, weapons, more fish types etc.

What I do question is system work and mechanics of the game. Things that improve upon game play. Things that entice us and make us want to keep coming back to the game.

While I do understand that the answers from each player could be as different as night and day, still I search for that answer and how that looks in my own opinion. And in my opinion (imo) that is not like individual things and stuff. Those are normal additions to any game.

What I am trying to point at here is the world in general. Game improvements and yes quality of life. We are all over the place trying to get the game to be user friendly and desirable for all players.

So here is imo only my list of things I have identified as needed and remember it is imo as your's should be as well. It can include stuff but mostly the other things and please try to be courteous and allow others their opinions. Ok so off we go. Here are some of mine:

-Achievement and task system for in the game- The game tracks player progress and completions and adds another task or achievement to the list.

https://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.co...ing-achievements-for-your-games--gamedev-3371

-Daily quests from all merchants -

For example:
    Fishing merchants offers catch of the day with rewards such as rare bait, fishing clothing items with buffs, titles with buffs etc. These quests will be progression quests as better rewards for completing one for more than one day. Achievement reward for completing for 10 days in a row for example would give best reward/xp. Also:

-Crafting quests from crafting merchants to craft items. Even though this is a player economy crafters are not always wanting to do combat that much. They just want to craft and harvest. Dailies would provide some crafting rewards related to crafting. Completing them for more days would improve rewards.

-Pvp dailies and ability to have some type of factions system. Raid systems and as mentioned today during the livestream when in group you don't kill your own players during battles against another group. Perhaps you have to be in a group for this mechanic to click in.

- Pvp players should gain notoriety like their names turn red and they become listed as dangerous or something to designate killer status.

-Also we need a good bounty system and quests to go with that. Maybe it provides kill points and rewards And yes imo. I'm not liking the ransom system. Imo it should not exist. Reasons to kill or not kill should be consequences and better implemented.

-We are missing basics. Such as a mount system, not just a mount you can ride but better than that. Can you race your mount or jump hurdles? Can you use your mount to do battle, or can you add armor for your mount to wear and improve your mount in ways?

-We need 'special' to come in. Such as boating. Boats to fish on, boats to adventure on, krakens and sea monsters, pvp sea battles, and deep sea diving off a boat to see what is under water. Boating could be an instance that you enter at docks to NPC towns if you have your boat on it and click on the water with it. Waterways of Britannia. :)

-And finally a lore system which places items to find through out the world that give a feel of scenes are all part of the world. Perhaps it is runes to collect or secrets showing up when you point at it. Something that says these scenes are all part of the world.

Imo Every scene should have dailies in them to do or not to do that have the same progression of doing them for more days improves the reward and they should have random quests and not be the same every day. These quests should show the world as all inclusive in some way. Again rune collections etc with lore. As right now most scenes are separated and a bit lifeless after exploring missing that connection. They have the usual harvesting, fishing, etc but still what says this scene is related to all others. What discoveries are there to forward the game and make it feel complete?

-Consequences for actions or choices are missing. The guards are inactive with little reactions which is missing in this game. We did have plague from Zombies but some felt it was too strict on new players. Perhaps we could get some from higher tier places still or plague and curse type things could be some consequences to actions. Anyway that is quick thoughts on this. Some ideas of consequences from the past have been posted but now we need to recall some ideas.

*cheers everyone* and remember don't come on here to just go into huge debates contribute your thoughts and ideas and of course these are yours and all ideas are valid to consider. While some ideas at first notice may seem wrong or right perhaps they lead to better ideas just by stating them. ok off you go community lets hear those ideas.

"If you only look at what is, You might miss what could be".

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  2. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

Interesting thread - Are the images a sort of "mood board" to get ideas flowing?
    ~
    A lot of improvements are very logical and happen more or less naturally as releases are published. So others have made the point that its better to hunker down on bug fixes and stability and technical aspects first.
    In reality , its always a work-flow mixture of both of these. They've got their work cut out for them.

I have a theory that development already has a stable outline of what they plan to do, what they're considering adding, what will require input from the players and so on.

So just playing devil's advocate here - It might be nice to participate in the release feedback forums as well. That is to say, if you focus on what could be, you might miss what is!

Dirk Hammerstrike and Crendel like this.
  3. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

I think it is a great idea to help give the devs an idea of what the players think improvements should look like. I am sure they have their list, but maybe we can help tweek or refine it.

It is quite customary for a development team to decrease after release of a game. Expansions are usually handled with smaller teams. I am a little worried how sick our poor team is getting; health is important too guys and gals.

I agree with most of what the OP has picked out. Big plus to achievements and lore to tie the world together and scenes as well.

Foremost the quest journal needs a rework. Something to tell me I have completed it, search by location/NPC, quests objectives shared between multiple players in a group, even maybe a temporary notepad to jot down hints (Project Gorgon has this and it is helpful), quest depth and feeling.. also as a character I should have a sense of personal feeling of who I am in responses.

Next I would work on the achievements and Lore to make each scene tie in and have a story to tell on its own. Some of this is there, but it isn't cohesive enough.

I think scenes need to be bigger if you are going to mounts or even remove the overland map (granted I have actually grown to really like the map), but mounts, with the land mass as is it really seem more of something in the way unless we give them something special they do. That may be above Port to do.. I am thinking mount specialties.. the donkey caries more, the black beauty horse runs the fastest speed wise, maybe they alert you to hidden mobs, some climb hills better, you can breed them. GW2 has a really excellent mount system.

I will let the PVP folks speak on what they think is needed. I haven't the experience to speak on that. However, this game is supposed to be about virtues.. I can't see player killing being virtuous. So some penalty and such should be implemented; with some sort of fun aspect benefit for them of course in a story kind of way.. maybe they work with the obsidians.

Boats and all the questing and traveling that goes with them is great.

More sandbox tools.. theater, treasure hunting, real ability to design quests for dungeons.. even over land stuff.

More interactive decorations or plays and even dinner parties and such

Combat.. trees need a better feel for who they are and what they do individually.. water comes to mind and something that doesn't have a feel, a bit more shamanistic buff debuff tree or additions to others if that is too powerful.. real barding as a combat class, the ability for mage pure classes to have an auto attack skill that doesn't use a reagent. More synergies between these trees in combos.. pets and summons becoming interesting.. maybe add some cool achievement for a certain grand GM unlock (to be fair make this a dated one. earlier player GMs vs newer player GMs)
    Since we have a crown centralized store - I think this will make player wonder why we can't have a central marketplace? Now I get it for the go visit vendor aspect and regional aspect, but that regional isn't really an issue any longer.. so why not have a central marketplace listing in game.. from there you can place a hold on an item with directions to said vendor? It gives competition and travel to player towns and such. Give those towns then other means to keep those players in them with ads or events of design, etc. I think this makes it a bit easier for players to see competition in goods and find them. I spend way too much time trying to search for decent gear with better than 50 durability. - weapons that utilize some of the kobold tech like lightning guns and such.. guns in general.

Decoration items - we need to be able to stack some of these and add other rotations, floor sinking or floating, shrink (my roses are as tall as my character), etc. - other houses on the same lot (that flexible placement)

Guard/NPC interaction - maybe they don't like air mages or sword fighters and accost them as they enter a town, etc. - maybe you need to take a bath to go in an establishment (furniture buffs)

Loot and crafting - I think it take a long time to craft things and I think it is expensive, crafted gear being the best hurts loot drops as well. Perhaps we fix this by making all crafted armor the base.. drops have an added short term augment that needs to be tempered by a crafter.. some basic augments for those players just starting out.. add pure drop only slots like artifact or relic slots.. give us an extra ring slot.. give us crafted belts - also make this a little easier and cheaper to make - ie a newb sees a 50 durability nice piece of gear for $50K - it took them a while to farm that up.. they have taxes and reagent costs.. would you buy said item knowing it will wear out in a month or would you work your way up to craft it yourself? This is the dilemma facing new players.. they will wear crap gar until they can make it themselves to save that type of coin.. if you can make less of an RNG to crafting and lower the component requirements and make sure said new player can afford to replace their armor.. then you have sales again. I know there are thread all over the place on the economy, but with an influx of new players that is what they see.. OMG I spent a week to make $2k profit after buy all my reagents.. how will I afford that new breastplate? I think some crafters are both oppressed with the crafting requirements and conversely greedy (RMT comes in to play with selling gold here, but it doesn't negate the needs of a player who does not have RMT as a focus). Keep the need to repair gear and have it wear out, but make it a bit easier and more cost effective to obtain. As to artifacts.. GM crafter should be the only ones that can repair those as they are special, but I should still be effective combat wise without them.. these should just make it easier . Crafted gear dropped as loot is usually not worth the inventory space, maybe you make more from the NPC vendor for it, but it is uninspiring. Perhaps this stuff breaks down to give a chance for a special crafting mat or extra resources for whoever gets it.

That is probably enough for now.

Kara Brae and majoria70 like this.
  4. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

There was a post like this last summer.

Since then some major Qol improvements, fishing, and some other stuff. A lot of it has had some impact on the overall game.

Meanwhile, the most basic systems such as questing and combat are still terrible.

It does not matter how many Achievements, Dailies, Bounties, Mounts, Lore you have when people do not like the designs of the basic systems used to accomplish these tasks.

Questing redesign slated for episode 2. Ok

Combat? Apparently just needs some tweaks

The major problem is that there are a fair amount of people here including the devs who think our system is fine.

The entire design of the system GUARANTEES you a small playerbase. This design is not something that is going to appeal to a lot of people.

Even using our terrible design, the combat system in it's current state is just a broken mess.

Wtf?

This should be one of the most stable systems in the game at this point.

No idea how they expect to gain players when some of the most basic features are not functioning.

5. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Hard questions have a pretty short half-life in these parts...

As for suggestions, SotA is kind of meh at just about everything, it is serviceable, but there is no facet of the game that really makes the game stands out. My advice would be to find some aspect of the game and expand and polish it until it makes the game stand out in at least one area.

Currently, I'd say that building out land possession, having a system for kingdoms, duchies and counties and to let players hold the titles. Then you could have a system of fealty in addition to guilds, titles all around. Build something that other MMOs haven't.

6. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

For me, there's 4 things I would like worked on, and it is nothing new, it is current systems already in place that just need to be remembered...

1. Quests, hey the questing system is full of bugs and what not, we need info on how it is going to change, we need to see and hear progress because this is one of the #1 turn offs for so many of our players. I have barely done any side quests because the main story line had me so rilled up sometimes because of how it broke so easily, that I prefer waiting before going at it again.

2. Combat... I've been one of those that every time there was talk about new combat features and skills, I'd get very excited! There was a period where Chris talked about new Chaos spells, few patch notes of "delayed" and then poof, it was gone! Schools need more spells, and we need more combos, and this is an easy 2 in 1, but it needs to happen. The combo system is one of those half-assed systems, life fishing before, where it is there, everyone thinks it sounds cool, but no one uses it because there's barely anything there... let me combine Ice Field and Meteor shower to create blizzard! Let me combine lightning with Immolation to create "Static Presence" where sparks of lightning would blast out of me randomly on close enemies with a chance to stun! Let us combine schools where we get similar spells but with another schools trademark!!!

3. Crafting. I mean come on... this needs some love, be it things need to make sense (I think its shelves where I start with something weighing 1lb and the final result is 4x that, how does that make any sense?) The eternal staves VS wands debate for crafting and enchantments needs to come to an end. Some things need some love here, and a lot!

4. PvP zones incentives. I've posted this so many times, but shardfalls have barely any visit. I still think that adding a special kind of currency (obsidian shards?) That you can acquire from killing mobs and gathering in shardfalls, which can then be traded with a special merchant, would be great. These obsidian shards could be lootable (50% or more) upon killing another player. This could generate activity in the shardfalls because you would have something "special" to work for, because right now, I dont see ANYTHING worth my time there, 10% bonus exp? Who cares, I can go to UT or The Rise (and possibly others) and attenuate in 35 minutes, so experience isn't an incentive at all for PVP zones, I want something really special. And for those who would complain that it makes something PVP only, well artifacts are Combat only, and the best gear is crafting only! I give my gold to good crafters for their time spent, why couldn't crafters and adventurers give PvPers their gold for their time spent risking their lives in a PvP zone?

These are the things I would like to see worked on before the end of Episode 2, they are not new concepts, they are all current core things that just need a bit of love!

Mhtic, yinki2, Addison and 3 others like this.
  7. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

I did a feedback post in the new player feedback section aafew days ago but if I was to focus on one thing it would be the deck building system. This has so much potential to hook players into the game. My post has more details on that idea.

Stevvcash and majoria70 like this.
  8. Brian4

Brian4 Avatar

Seems the systems they add only keep the masses content for 2-3 months. The Bears, The Wyverns, fishing, all I see is people either complaining, wanting more clothes or worried about the value of stuff. There is nothing to log in and do MULTIPLAYER. the only thing I ever see anyone team up to do with more than 8 people is dance parties. Then your other choice is UPPER Tears or make a group and wait and see if anyone else wants to do the same thing. I like to team and do things I could care less if I can solo things MULTIPLAYER should require MULTIPLE PLAYERS. Everything is too easy. What actually drew me to the game is starting to push me away. By this I mean the no skill cap, Player crafted Gear being the best. If you manage it right you can make gear last forever, Only thing worth getting loot wise that seems rare is the spider belt atm. I believe Portalarium does an amazing job of communicating with us more then any game I have ever played and for that reason alone I will always be a fan of shroud I'm just taking a break logging in seeing if I can sell some of the stuff I have sitting in boxes and boxes collecting virtual dust. I could easily make a list of what I think we need in the game but it's not going to make a difference. I'm very glad I was not a Kickstarter I appreciate the ones that were because of them we do have shroud. I also feel sorry for the ones that left and don't blame them. I don't see how Shroud is a spiritual successor of Ultima other than Lord British and the ones that worked on those game. They have been in the gaming business for 2x longer than some of the player's age and yet they do not have systems in the game and mechanics that keep players here. People keep posting other pictures of games and UI elements that other games have. Which anyone who plays shroud and remains in Shroud already knows. I just don't understand why Port can't get it.

9. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

You might want to repost, posts critical to the game have a tendency to make threads go missing.
    The problem with deck building is that the player is forced to spend their time staring at the bar at the bottom of the screen instead of the action.

Gravidy, Kain Darkmoor and Brian4 like this.
  10. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

It was this

Finally with regards to combat I think decks are the single biggest missed selling point of the game, they could be absolutely awesome if managed correctly/worked on. There should be discussions all over the forums of how to build decks, how much of each glyph, how to get the best combos, etc. There isn't because at the moment there isn't much of a noticeable difference between a great deck and an average one. I would attempt the following to improve this,
    a) I'd increase the number of combos and increase the power of combo effects, make it more worth while to combo rather than charge a glyph.
    b) I'd make the combos more relevant to specific roles, so tanking combos, DPS combos, healing combos, CC combos, etc
    c) I'd introduce additional Glyphs that you can add as a 3rd glyph to a combo increasing power or special/additional effects, these glyphs would be awarded through quests or rare drops, tradeable and not part of the trained skill system. They could have different rarities depending on power and add an additional collectible to the game while at the same time mixing up the deckbuilding.

K1000 and majoria70 like this.
  11. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

IMO, the 1 thing that needs to be looked at is:

Why adventurers are gold faucets and crafters are gold drains in this game...

The ingame economy needs to be revamped as far as players selling to NPCs and making at least a 10% profit off all items, I'm a miner, so I have lots of ore for free, but when I turn those ores into ingots, I get screwed when I sell to an NPC... Some would say: "Sell to a player", alright that's an idea, but they sit and sit on my vendor forever until someone does come along and buys them all (can't figure how they carry them, but what the hey, I got a sale), I can burn through that gold in seconds making ingots, turning them into wires or exotic alloys or plates, and when I sell them to an NPC, I get screwed even further... So I sell them to players and they sit, and sit, until someone needs them, then there all gone... I can still burn through that gold making more or I can craft it into something like weapons or armors, but when I sell these items to NPCs, I'm screwed again, big time... So I don't do it, so why then is the loot tables including crafted items, when no one is fool enough to sell to an NPC in the 1st place.... Many items don't sell to other players because, well, I don't know, if they could tell me, I would be enlightened...

I know the devs are worried about "abuse", so make it so the NPCs can't buy unlimited quantities of the item being sold, to some this would make no sense, but if they gave us the ability to package items together, I'm sure that if a player was offering me 100 rusty swords for a reasonable price, I would buy them just to scrap them all or the could scrap them, then sell the scrap to an NPC if they like... I for one would like to see the NPCs relist the scrap back to me, but they don't do that, not even in limited supplies...

Which brings me to my 2nd point, I don't think NPCs sould sell unlimited quantities to players, once their stock is sold out, there should be a 24hr "out of stock" for them, but the player could go to the next NPC type and buy their stock out if they really wanted that much, other players would need to goto the next NPC or even next town to find stock, or maybe even the next region, if by chance the players were buying up all the stock for whatever reason, but you could limit that too by simply not allowing it to happen... If a player buys all the stock on 1 NPC, they would need to wait 24hrs to buy again, it's just the rules...

I'm thinking of the new players, who have nothing and are trying to build up their chr, their skills, their crafts, so they could make at least a 10% profit off each stage of crafting, why should the advanced adventurer get all the gold?

I've said it before, so I'll say it again, there needs to be "diminishing return" incorporated for gold, the more you farm the same critter, in the same region, the less gold you get or the game should monitor your gold inventory and when it gets too high, then gold is eliminated from all your loot everywhere... Go spend the gold you have and it will return to the loot...

What about this: I hear the players have been clamoring about a currency system, well let them be able to print "Banknotes" in 100k, 250k, 500k, 1m denominations taking gold out of the system permanently by making the note which can't be reversed... High end players can use them to barter, wall paper their place, or do any other thing they want with them... I also think that instead of notes, they should be able to buy treasure chests in the same denominations for decos...

That's all I got...

PS: a global market board accessed through the town crier to make it easier to search for things to buy... And to check market prices for sellers...

Stevvcash and majoria70 like this.
  12. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

So they can't get a normal combat interface working, balance skills, mobs or combat statistics over the course of 4 years and we want to introduce an even more complex system.

Kain Darkmoor and K1000 like this.
  13. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

That's a matter of opinion, in pve, it works fine. My suggestion is about creating a system that drags people into it the game, involves them. Nothing to do with balance.
    What is it you think is broken?

14. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

That is not a matter of opinion. Every one of those plus countless other stuff is still broken after 4 years.

Interface - Skills slide off the bar mid charge.
    Skill balance - lol
    Mob balance - lol
    Combat Statistics - The devs themselves don't even know what many of them do

Spend 1 minute browsing these forums and you'll find pages and pages of broken features and functions regarding combat.

This is one of the most basic features of the game. Practically anyone buying this game will be engaging in combat in some point. Not to mention how many people spend the majority of their time using it while adventuring.

15. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

+1

16. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

Perhaps spend time playing and enjoying the game.
    In pve terms what exactly is broken?

17. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

The multiplayer problem is just another example stemming from poor combat.

What are the most basic groups in other games?

Small PVE groups / Raids

Lets group and kill this boss. Oh wait I can solo that myself
    Lets recruit a healer. Oh wait I can do that myself
    Lets recruit a tank / cc / dps. Oh wait I can do those myself

Lets make a group and kill something out of sheer boredom.
    Oh wait I forgot. Im using X build.
    Because of genius additions like magic resistance to lichs bosses etc, unless I have leveled a bunch of other skill trees I don't want to play,
    My role in the group will be looter / morale officer. That's fun.

World PVP / Battlegrounds

Lets see my checklist

Have I wasted countless hours PVE leveling as a PVPER so that I have leveled every tree in the game to counter other players being able to swap to completely different class / equipment in under a second?
    Have I kept up to date this release with our monthly combat nerf/buffs so I wont be unexpectantly 2 shot?
    Are the enough people on the planet who enjoy our broken trash combat system and interface that I might actually find ppl willing to PVP?

Probably not

Feeyo, Addison, Athanil and 1 other person like this.
  18. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

I spend time gathering resources and playing with the housing system. The first is ok and the second is excellent.

Normally I would be into PVP and endgame PVE like a lot of potential players.

Unfortunately, both of those are severely lacking at the present.

As far as what is broken, you mentioned you are new here, rather than type out 10 pages worth of text or give you the links to 100+ forum posts, I will let you figure that out yourself.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Addison and Boo Ladedada like this.
  19. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

I wouldn't be opposed to them taking a month or two to catch up on old stuff before creating new content imo. But I do like all of your suggestions @majoria70

20. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

SOtA is missing one of the fundamental gameplay loops of any RPG and that is kill/loot/feels good. Even pen and paper D&D had it as it is the carrot on the stick that keeps you coming back. I know some people like the fact that the best or even most of the items are player made but they are in the minority. MMO/RPG players in the main do not want to wander around clicking on NPC's to find an upgrade. They want to go out with their friends, slay a dragon and loot the Firey Sword of Dragon Slaying +10. Shopping around for an upgrade is just the most boring system in the game and is also fundamentally flawed as whether because of cost to create or failure rate, player made items are too expensive for the average player.

Whenever I have created SOTA content the one thing that gets mentioned the most is how sick someone got of killing 500 goblins and getting the same dull loot over and over again. Artifacts really don't go anywhere near far enough. The response of the crafting fat cats is that this is how the game was sold to them and if you want loot go and play other games. Well, players are. Do we want the game to be successful or super niche maybe to the point where it doesn't survive?

At this point though, trying to be constructive, it's tough to see how to change the game to add that loop. More from a gaming systems point of view than mollifying crafters complaining it's not what they signed up for. Because players can become one man armies any great magic items added into the game would just be farmed senseless as there is no real raid content. Maybe add in magic items to the loot tables at all levels but they only drop for players of the equivalent AL. Make them super duper rare but give people that kill/loot/feels good thing. There was a system introduced in a zone or two in Everquest where if you were to high level, you didn't get any loot for killing the mobs. Maybe that would help with the farmers.

I think Episode 2 needs to address that loot loop. People need a reason to go out there and kills mobs beside grinding xp. However much it might be shouted down by the minority, the carrot on a stick keeps em coming back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.