Deeds after the Outskirts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladamir Begemot, Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

After watching the Live stream today i am not thrilled about the 'new' outcome. At first i was all for it but giving a row lot deed for only completing ONE outskirts quest is just a bit toooo early in the game. I would agree if they complete ALL 3 outskirts but not just doing one. At that point the average new player still has no concept of what to and that MIGHT deter them from going on to the other two zones. I didnt really think they would give them out that early in the game. That is too early. I would like to see them given out maybe after they complete one of the Main Virtue quests...Love, Truth or Courage. Giving out a lot deed too soon makes it too easy for folks to just come in and play and not bother with any of the storyline/quests. I have seen so many folks in the last few months really work hard to complete the Virtues/Oracle quest and be so happy that they strove so hard to do it to get their cloak and row lot deed. Now all that hard work is in vain so to speak. But at least now they can get a village instead for all their steadfast hard work. Just my opinion. There should be more work for the reward not less....as far as the row lots are concerned.

2. Floors

Floors Avatar

I also don't like it. But alot of the fun in the game comes from owning and decorating property so if it enourages more people to place row property in the many empty areas and makes more people satisfied, it might be for the best in the long run.

I think it devalues property tho. It's not like beating this game is that hard :)

Nevyn Waldail likes this.
  3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I remember when I started playing, back at persistence. I had a deed, and I wanted to find a place to put it. And that was a driving force, and has been ever since.

It's a pain for player to even figure out where the other two are. They could be gone by the time they complete the other two. Get the best part of the game in front of them as soon as possible.

I approve of the single outskirts reward.

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I do think that getting people into the housing system early on is a very good move. And encourages growth to the game.

It should however be a reward for finishing the three Outskirts areas. Which is something all new players should do anyway period. That could even tie into Arabella, since almost everyone completely forgets about her, and could finally tie her into that structure.

5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i'll go with the after all three outskirts thing, too. if people have not learned the world enough to find all three, how would they choose where to live?

6. Kelanor

Kelanor Avatar

I disagree with completing all three outskirts, BECAUSE: I didn't know you were supposedly to do three of them at the same time. I started on the Path of Courage and baby I stayed on that path till I was done. Was it tough, yes, was it a pain? yes. But I did not deviate one inch until I finished that path.

Alot of players are used to a linear path, and not knowing they are supposed to tackle all three of these simultaneously instead of one after the other means that players like me are just going to go from start to finish on each one at a time.

It wasn't until I was fully finished with Path of Courage and Path of Truth that I realized "Huh, I probably could've gotten all these easier areas our of the way sooner"

It takes time for players used to linear roleplaying to adjust to open world games lacking a solid singular linear path. Most players aren't familiar with the concept of "choose your own adventure"

I had a hard enough time making sense of the quest log mess trying to fumble my way through the Path of Courage from start to finish, much less trying to figure out where/how to even start the other paths. I had to wiki/forum browse/and ask in game how to even start Path of Truth.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  7. Nick

Nick Avatar

Synergy Blaize and Feeyo like this.
  8. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

I really understand this: as a beginner it is all new, it is not easy - and it shall not be (too) easy. It shall be a challenge. And I am not talking about broken or incompleted Journal / Compass / Screen Task parts!!!
    But talking to Arabella, the information is given by her to follow other parts parallel.

Currently you get the POT row lot deed after finishing the whole paths (love, truth, courage AND the path of the oracle - which takes alot of time! So the row lot deed feels worthwhile like the Shroud).

So why people in this thread are confused is the question:
    why do things have to be changed extremely?

Doing the quests years before the enemies were much harder (I don't say we need this for beginners!), there were no blue sparkles all around, and there was NO row lot deed.
    And now it is enough to start playing, doing a few quests and after only one outskirts we receive
    - one peace of virtue armor
    - the virtue banner
    AND the row lot deed.

Just a few hours later after a player barely knows how to manage the UI (s)he gets a lot deed (what takes again time to know how to manage all that housing stuff).
    Don't get me wrong: I am not against making a game more friendly, but this way? Where is the connection to the storyline? That's what I miss.

It just makes NO SENSE doing it this way after the first outskirts is done. Just imagine it would happen after Solace Bridge outskirts (knowing alot people starts on the path of love):
    There are so many refugees around - residents of Novia! And we, new outlander from another planet receive a lot deed - for free? While they are living in a refugee camp? Why is that?

If it is handed out while doing the storyline, it SHOULD have a logical connection, like I asked for above.
    At least there should be a quest, something given by Arabella, so a player has to do something SPECIAL - to receive it.
    May be just something simple - but connected to the storyline, which also could be used to assure, every player(!) knows exactly about the other paths, where they're starting and where to help first.
    Watch Keleanor's posting from above about this problem:

After the first Outskirts we should get the instruction also to speak to Arabella immediately!
    Arabella will tell us (what she is doing like before) about other places to visit (Highvale, Bloodriver).
    ARABELLA:

Arabella also tells to meet Magistrate Robert Villines in Blood River ...
    She could ask to bring us a short status report about Knight Gawain/Highvale and Robert Villines/Blood River.

After bringing her the status report from both of them, she could hand us the row lot deed on behalf of Lord British, telling us to help people in both outskirts ...

If someone says: this is just an ingame gift - why should it be related to the story?
    I would answer: if it is just a gift, there would be no reason given to make it part of the story - than hand it out BEFORE entering any path ...

Otherwise the story isn't treated with respect, although it should be one of the greatest parts of the whole game ...

Please @DarkStarr, @Sannio, @Lord British, consider to provide a special quest, which a player can DECIDE to do (after the first Outskirts is done or later)!

And last but not least:
    What I would like to see is that the received deed is a Place Anywhere deed
    [EDIT: The granted village lot deed will be place anywhere, just saw it (SOTA-63494)- thank you!]
    or has the possibility to upgrade it! (of course not in a tax free PA deed !!!)
    Therefor please watch my thread about update recommendation for deeds :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

It's already in on QA.

10. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

That is odd my LOA feed says Steam release will be "Our Steam store launch will coincide with our Frozen Tundra update which is scheduled for early Spring 2019." Not in 5 days... Maybe not ever. Citadel keeps moving the date later, and later, and later.

Source: https://www.legendsofaria.com/release-schedule-update-and-development-blog/

11. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

"Paths" and "outskirts" are as connected to each other as the individual paths are. Which is basically not at all. Outskirts quests are (currently) completely unrelated to the main story line quests.

12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I've been harping on them for ages to move the player from one starter zone/Outskirt to another somehow. Or to REALLY REALLY let players know that is a good idea.

They should build in some "Hey now might be a good time to jump back to one of the other two paths" suggestions partway through too.

Nevyn Waldail likes this.
  13. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

That’s specifically what Arabella is. She’s supposed to be your guide in the beginning and will direct you to the other 2 Outskirts.

But as a new player, you are so completely overwhelmed learning all this new stuff, you will never remember to speak to her. So you kind of get lost after you finish one of the Outskirts. At least this was my experience.

Integrating her into the 3 Outskirts and a reward of a Row Lot deed would only be a win/win situation.

Just an idea.

Elwyn and Belladonna Rose like this.
  14. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

I think I wouldn't have done well if I had a house early on.

After moving on from [Visitor] status, got a room at an inn in Veritas Sanctuary. That served me very well until a month later when I completed the story and set up my own house.

In that month I played *hard* and saved up a lot of money. I dumped it all into my taxes and, several months later, I'm still on the same lot in the same house with the same money. I wouldn't have gotten ahead and saved money with a taxed house as a new player.

The taxes don't seem like a big deal, but when you stack them with the countless other gold-sinks, upward mobility is very hard unless you change your gameplay to workplay.

I've generally enjoyed trying crafting, but it's ruined me financially. Gold sinks accumulate :oops: and the results can be problematic if skill and knowledge accumulate more slowly.

Lord Trady of Blix and Alley Oop like this.
  15. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

That's very important for a new player. A reminder in the task list could be very helpful, telling: "You should visit Arabella for further instructions!" ...

16. Ragnarr Lodbrok

Ragnarr Lodbrok Avatar

In my Viking opinion I think housing should be earned or bought to support the store and game itself, and it is of course with the taxable Row house deed from the Shroud questline, but... always a but. There are players out there that do not want everything "handed" to them. Its somewhat best to allow them to find their own ways. Yes help them a bit with a slight push in the right direction, but do not be too pushy. If you hand them the world they wont stay around to explore, they can get bored with it. I have seen this happen to several players. Keep the game going with " earning it the old fashioned way" As the ole TV ad goes. :)

Jason_M and Alley Oop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.