Comprehensive Guide to Player Made Dungeon building

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Kaizen Strava, Dec 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaizen Strava

Kaizen Strava Avatar

I am creating this thread because trying to find information on "Player Made Dungeons" has been frustrating to find as I crawl through the internet looking for information.
    This post will be updated and edited as new information becomes available I will build this in an "F.A.Q." format so feel free to add questions or answers and I will add them to the O.P.

The last update to this guide occurred on 4/21/2021
    Let's start with the simple stuff:
    1. What is a "Player Made Dungeon"?
    Player Made Dungeons (currently in development) are a modular construction based play area consisting of different rooms and connectors that players can customize and decorate in a variety of ways.
    Material Types
    • Ancient Stone
    • Blue Marble
    • Cave
    • Icy Cave
    • Green Marble
    • Stone
    • White Marble
    Module Purpose Types
    • Connector
    • Encounter
    • Foyer
    • Room
    Portalarium has begun to have functioning dungeon areas with spawn to hunt/kill with loot tables included. When they rolled out the first incarnation of these during R57, they provided sample dungeons to allow players to get a feel for what the product would be like eventually. These Sample dungeons will be removed once the dungeons reach full active status.
    2. How do I get one?
    There is NO real money purchase (RMT) necessary to get started building your dungeon. Simply purchase a Tomb Dungeon Entrance (50 point sample dungeon included) from towns that have Booksellers located in them. You can craft it using the smelting skill, and place it on a lot you own and have placed in either a P.O.T. or regular city of New Britannia.
    Additionally, you can also purchase Dungeon Entrances from the in-game COTO store or use one you might have gotten as part of one of Livestream reward programs. These will come in the form of a pattern that MUST be applied to the tomb entrance you created.
    A. Ancient Tome Dungeon Entrance (50 point sample dungeon included)
    B. Magic Mirror Dungeon Entrance (75 point sample dungeon included)
    C. Ruined Stone Arch Dungeon Entrance (100 point sample dungeon included)
    D. Circle of Stones Rift Dungeon Entrance (125 point sample dungeon included)
    3. Where do I get other dungeon pieces?
    Currently, you can also purchase dungeon items from the same Booksellers located in various towns. As an example, you can try Alvin in Owl's Head or Mitch in Kingsport. Additionally, you can purchase items via your COTO sales menu
    4. What skills do I need?
    Currently, none except the basic 1 point of smelting skill. All dungeon modules currently can be crafted at that level.
    5. I have my lot, my entrance is placed, NOW what?
    Your next step will be to add a Dungeon Entrance Foyer. You do this in the same manner as placing a basement on your lot only using the dungeon entrance arrow selectors located at the top of the panel. (You may choose ONLY one Foyer at a time for your dungeon. Choose carefully as changing it will mean rebuilding your dungeon from scratch)
    Same as with the entrances, you can either purchase one from the add on store or craft it by purchasing the "Blueprint" from the same booksellers.
    6. What is a Blueprint?
    Blueprints are a single-use item that is used as part of the recipe when crafting each dungeon module. You only have to learn the recipe for a module ONCE, but you will need a new blueprint EVERY time you wish to craft a particular module.
    7. So I will need recipes AND blueprints, what else do I need to plan for?
    GRANITE - lots & lots & lots of granite ( the connectors and basic rooms are 100-300ish each but the large encounter rooms can take over two thousand each)
    COAL - a goodly amount of coal
    ESSENCE - you will need 100 Essence for each totem you create for spawning dungeon rooms
    TIME - You may end up spending hours trying to set up the "perfect" dungeon
    PATIENCE - Remind yourself that this gaming option is still "being developed" There are ( and will be more) some bugs in the system that need to be ironed out.
    Elf Essence - kill Elves
    Kobold Essence - kill Kobolds
    Lich Essence - kill Liches
    Troll Essence - kill Trolls

See the pattern on getting Essence? :
    )
    8. O M G, these take a LOT of granite, are there any other options?
    Yes, currently you have the option to purchase ready-made rooms in the COTO store.
    9. Are the Add-On Store dungeon rooms in my package ready-made so I can start laying out my dungeon?
    No - you will need to construct each module supplied with your Dungeon Entrance add-on purchase. Blueprints & Recipes are provided. Materials must be gathered for each.
    BUT
    [​IMG]
    These you can simply plug into your amazing dungeon.

10. Where can I get Recipes and blueprints?
    • You can get these from Alvin & Mitch mentioned above for the basic modules.
    • You can get packages from your Dungeon Entrance purchase
    • You can go adventuring and acquire rare drops for particular rooms.
    Compendium of Pain & Suffering
    Random Encounter#1
    Random Encounter#1 Spawns
    Random Encounter#2
    Random Encounter#2 Spawns
    Random Encounter#3
    Random Encounter#3 Spawns
    The Rotunda
    The Rotunda Spawns
    Rotunda Encounter
    Rotunda Encounter Spawns
    Spider Room
    Link to @Aartemis Hilt Guide
    Lich Boss
    Lich Boss Spawns
    Stone Dungeon Room The Rise - Dog Room
    Stone Dungeon Room The Rise - Dog Room Spawns
    Stone Dungeon Room The Rise - Library
    Stone Dungeon Room The Rise - Library Spawns
    Stone Dungeon Room (Undead Ravensmoor)
    Small Temple
    Throne Room (spawns without conversion)
    Large Lich Room
    Dungeon Room (Owl's head Sewer)
    Dungeon Room (Owl's head Sewer) Spawns
    Troll Encounter Room (spawns without conversion)
    Troll Encounter Room (spawns without conversion)

11. I have the blueprint, where can I find the recipe?
    Typically, each location that drops or sells blueprints will do the same for recipes BUT Currently, every recipe is "Re-Teachable".
    This also means they are discover-able.
    You can get the items list for many of the module recipes from the SotaWiki, for those not listed try posting in the discord or these forums. Once you know the ingredients, simply place them all into the smelting panel and the "craft" button should light up. Once you craft it once the recipe gets added to your book
    12. So I am in my dungeon now, how do I BUILD anything?
    The method is intuitive to previous panel options Port has used.
    Once you enter your foyer, you will see blue "hammer" icons at each entrance ( assuming you have the correct access permissions)
    Click on that hammer and you will see the familiar arrows with the word "none". Simply click and each module you have in your bag with show up in succession. Select the room you want and Walaaah, you have added a room. There is a second smaller arrow below the main that allows you to change the orientation of the module as well.
    13. What am I doing wrong, the accept button will not light up when I try to place this room?
    You have a couple of possibilities in play.
    1. You do not have enough points left in your dungeon cap to place the module. - You will need to either remove a different piece to create room in your points cap or upgrade your dungeon points.
    2. You have a collision issue with another module - the coding is improving so the modules will not collide with each other while building your dungeon. Be mindful of the layout as you grow your dungeon and be careful not to run back into another piece as you build
    14. Points?? What ARE points about?
    Each module you place spends a certain amount of points. Currently, this is a range of 1 point (IE: Stone Hallway)- 49 points (IE: Spider Room) Dungeon point caps are based on the size of your lot. If you hit your cap your dungeon can not grow any larger.
    Row lot = 50 points
    Village Lot = 100 points
    Town Lot = 150 points
    City Lot = 200 points
    Keep Lot = 250 points
    Castle Lot = 300 points
    15. How do I know a room's point cost and size?
    While there are a variety of ways to determine both, the easiest ways are as follows:
    1. Ask other players who are active with dungeons
    2. Observe the panel as you place each piece (FOR POINTS TOTAL)
    3. Use 1x1 hallways to plot a path around a room to measure it. (FOR SIZE)
    4. Look at the spoiler chart below
    [​IMG]
    16. How do I get more points???
    There are a couple of options to raise your dungeon point cap.
    It is worth noting that every point you add to your dungeon will be applied to any and all other dungeons your account has placed or may place in the future.
    • Get a bigger lot
    • Upgrade your Dungeon with either C.O.T.O.s or gold in-game. - this can be done by clicking the word "upgrade" located on your blue hammer control panel below the module selection options.
    • (heard rumor that upgrades may be available at the add on store at some point)
    C.O.T.O.s upgrades
    1st 20 points = 100 C.O.T.Os. per upgrade of 1 point (2000 C.O.T.O.s total)
    2nd 20 points = 200 C.O.T.Os. per upgrade of 1 point (4000 C.O.T.O.s total)
    3rd 20 points = 300 C.O.T.Os. per upgrade of 1 point (6000 C.O.T.O.s total)
    Gold Coin upgrades
    1st 20 points = 1000 gold coin per upgrade of 1 point (20,000 gold coin total)
    2nd 20 points = 2000 gold coin per upgrade of 1 point (40,000 gold coin total)
    3rd 20 points = 3000 gold coin per upgrade of 1 point (60,000 gold coin total)
    SO, essentially 120,000 gold will net you an additional 60 points to your dungeon at first. (the points of 2 Lich Boss Rooms) It gets more pricey from there

17. You said I could place deco in these rooms but this room won't let me.
    Currently, deco items have only been confirmed to be place-able in:
    • Stone rooms
    • Blue Marble rooms
    • Green Marble rooms
    • Some Ancient Stone rooms
    • White Marble Rooms
    Remember, this feature is still being developed and currently there does not seem to be any deco placement function for:
    • Some Ancient Stone rooms
    • Some Encounter Rooms
    • Most Connectors
    [​IMG]
    Also, there seems to be some issues placing items on walls floors or ceilings but this usually circles back to a collision issue. (IE: you have the adjoining room too close to the current one.)
    So step one is to make sure you have room between walls or floors etc.
    Step two is be patient while the bugs get worked out. DO report issues you run into because the devs can't fix it if they do not know it is broken. You can do that in the Player Made Dungeon Bug Forum. Check first though to be sure your issue is not already a known issue.
    18. How many Decoration items can I put in my dungeon?
    Dungeons have unique deco limits. You are allowed the following;
    10 interior items can be placed per point your dungeon has.
    1 interior container can be placed per point your dungeon has.
    1 interior light can be placed per point your dungeon has.
    Zero exterior decorations are allowed at this time.
    No NPCs (pets etc) are allowed.

19. This is so confusing trying to lay the dungeon out, how do I keep it straight?
    I would suggest using graph paper (either electronic or paper) to plan your dungeon. It snaps together a bit easier if you can visualize it.
    [​IMG]
    It is nothing fancy, but you are welcome to make a copy of this graph paper and use it.
    20. Well, I have my dungeon built, now what do I do with it.
    There are many ways to make use of your dungeon especially if you have a small property above it. Some examples of ideas for dungeon use listed below
    • Extra living space
    • Crafting areas
    • Party room
    • PVP area
    • Regular Adventuring area
    • RP area
    • D&D "game in a game" with friends
    • A source of hours of fun/frustration renovating and decorating
    21. How do I get things to kill in my dungeon
    As of R-63, Players are getting to experience the first efforts towards creating a viable spawn system for player-made dungeons. This is a "proof of concept" effort and subject to change but this will give you an idea of what plans are in the works at this time.
    As of 3/8/19 "Lich Essence" is being dropped on liches throughout the land. These can be crafted into "Lich Totems"
    If you own the dungeon module "Stone Dungeon Room Lich (The Fall)" You can add a lich totem to the pedestal while in deco mod, then place your dungeon in "Adventure Mode" to have Lich mobs spawn in your dungeon. As you level up your totem (100 "[type]" Essence + a Stone Chisel combine to make a Level 1 Totem - 4 specific level totems + a Stone Chisel combine to make the next level totem) The mobs will become increasingly difficult
    As of R-64,
    Player made dungeon will include 2 new creature types: Trolls and Kobolds. Troll Essence & Kobold Essence are currently dropping in-game.
    3 encounter rooms that currently exist will be convertible to spawning versions using 1 Ancient Essence and a stone chisel.
    4 ramps were added to the Cavern Hallways pack but this does not appear to be retroactive to previous purchases.
    Recipes will be available to convert dungeon certain rooms from the "Deco" version to the "spawn" version or vice/versa. these are "Re-Teachable"
    Troll Dungeon Encounter _Troll Totem
    Dungeon Lich Encounter, Hard (converted Stone Dungeon Room (Lich Boss) - Lich Totem )
    Stone Dungeon Random Encounter #1 Spawning - Kobold Totem
    Stone Dungeon Random Encounter #2 Spawning - Lich Totem
    Stone Dungeon Random Encounter #3 Spawning - Lich Totem
    Rotunda Encounter Room (converted Rotunda OR new loot drop) - Kobold Totem
    Stone Throne Room (The Fall) - Lich Totem
    Stone Dungeon Room (Owl's Head Sewer) - Lich Totem
    Stone Dungeon Room The Rise - Dog Room - Elf Totem
    Stone Dungeon Room The Rise - Library - Elf Totem
    As of Patch 950, There is a "Troll Encounter Room" and a "Rotunda Encounter Room" dropping in the game to make use of the Kobold and Troll Essene/totems you may have been gathering/crafting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As of R-65 - The three encounter rooms in Chillbain's C.P.S. have spawning versions that will drop, as well as the (now standard) 1 Ancient Essence and a stone chisel. with a stone chisel to convert an existing non-spawning room.
    As of R-66 - Elf Essences can be acquired by killing Elven Mobs
    As of Patch 1005 - You can acquire "Stone Dungeon Room the Rise - Dog Room" & "Stone Dungeon Room The Rise - Library" by killing mobs in those Rise locations (not the dogs)
    As of R-68 - The Rise & Library Dungeon Rooms now can drop a "spawning" version with Elf totem placement, or old ones can be converted with 1 Ancient Essence and a stone chisel.
    As of R-70 - Dungeon Stone to Ancient Stone Dungeon Transition Recipe: At the request of players we have added this much needed transition piece recipe for Player Owned Dungeons. It can be found on Booksellers
    As of R-80 - The following items can now be placed on the floor in dungeons as decoration:
    • Box Tent
    • Carved Decorative Tombstone
    • Wishing Well
    • Water Well
    • Ancestor Tombstone
    • Stone Crypt
    • Gravestone
    • Tombstone
    • Headstone
    • Rectangular Tombstone
    • Triangle Topped Tombstone
    • Heraldry Polearm
    • Ornate Scythe
    • Ornate Scythe 2017
    As of R-81 - The following items can now be placed in dungeons as decoration:
    • Fancy Blue Streetlamp
    • Fancy Red Streetlamp
    • Fancy Yellow Streetlamp
    • Kobold Spiked Streetlamp
    • Ornate Elven Streetlamp
    • Ornate Iron Streetlamp
    • Ornate Wooden Streetlamp
    • Shogun Streetlamp
    • Stone Streetlamp
    As of R-82 - Player Dungeon Creature Spawners added to the game. a non XP or loot T-15 Lich Spawner recipe was added to the game for deco rooms of player made dungeons.

22. Are there any good tips that will help make it easier to build my dungeon?
    Well sure, below are some useful tips and tricks submitted by community members.

4. You can now get an aerial view of your dungeon by typing "/slew" into your chat bar. this supersedes previous tips posted for viewing the dungeon large scale. Hit escape to leave this view.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  2. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

Excellent write up. I found it helpful to know each requirement.

3. Dereck Visaard

Dereck Visaard Avatar

Awesome, thank you for creating this!

Hagbarth likes this.
  4. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

My issue is the pieces from my store bought dungeon....the Tome..book on pedestal...are missing. I have one room in the demo version that i do not have the blueprint or recipe for so pretty upset about that. The version i do have is not the same as the one in the demo dungeon.

5. Kaizen Strava

Kaizen Strava Avatar

Added Question#15 (Bumped question #s down below it)
    Updated Question #17
    Added spoiler for module sizes and point values (This information is incomplete so if you have pieces of data to add please PM me or post here.)
    Added Spoiler for rooms NOT allowing deco (in progress)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Yeppers I have spent the last HOUR trying to make just the Tomb Entrance, The recipe did not come with the package the book sellers do not have it, I can not learn it.

Sorry but :mad:

7. Kaizen Strava

Kaizen Strava Avatar

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    Belladonna Rose likes this.
  8. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

COrrect....the tomb entrance is the basic entrance you can buy at the book stores. I got to the one in Brittany Estates. I completely removed my dungeon and the pieces never came back. I have the recipes but NOT the blueprints. So I cannot put that room in my dungeon. Its the 16x16A with the stained glass windows so i cant even remake the room. Also missing the blueprint for the 24x24 two entrance room. Just not understanding why and where they went. I guess my dungeon will just be plain room.

Weins201 likes this.
  9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I think you are possibly confusing the Internal Entrance - Foyer which booksellers sell? They do not however, sell the External Entrance - Tomb Dungeon Entrance.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  10. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

the bookseller in Brit sell the Tomb Entrance recipie, updated above

Jaesun likes this.
  11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ok so I Have a Circle of stone entrance 125 points but those oints are not avail unless I use this circle of stone? I do not want to use it it does not fit my design. Also in a Telethone O got a Dragon Head and other entrance types? what are they worth in points?

Need some clarification on how entrance's pints work?

And upgrading is a joke, way too expensive.

12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

They sell the Foyer recipe. They do NOT sell the Stone Dungeon Entrance recipe. THAT you get from the one Housing Merchant (or possibly others)?

Or is there another Bookseller in another "Brittany" city that DOES sell it?

[​IMG]

Zexarium likes this.
  13. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

sorry yeah was not bookseller was deco one

14. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

This whole process to build just a basic dungeon entrance, requiring you to visit 2 different NPC’s, just seems overly complicated.

The booksellers should (in my opinion) sell the entrance recipe, so they are your one stop shop for dungeon recipes. Well, the basic ones at least.

15. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Um another Question - If I get the recipe for the Lich Room (just an example) do I also then need a blueprint for that room also?

16. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yes to build it, you have to have the blueprint. It will show in the recipe that it requires one.

Barugon likes this.
  17. Kaizen Strava

Kaizen Strava Avatar

@Weins201 Entrances do not take points. Points start accumulating AFTER the foyer ( which is after the entrance) the blueprints you got from the Circle of Stones Rift dungeon entrance can be used in any Entrance/Foyer Combo, even the basic tombstone entrance.
    You can even reshape your rift entrance with one of your other entrances using the smelting skill and it will function exactly the same with your rift pattern pulled off safely to store ( it is eternal).

Jaesun and Weins201 like this.
  18. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

You may wish to update this to how it is currently: Booksellers ALL carry the basic dungeon recipes. There are 8 so far that all carry the basic recipes and can be found at various locations. NOT just Owl's Head and Kingsport.

I actually verified this, as I just wanted to know for sure.

Hephestes likes this.
  19. Kaizen Strava

Kaizen Strava Avatar

Updated Question #3
    Added:
    Stone Dungeon Room (Undead Ravensmoor)
    Large Lich Room

to Drop location spoiler section

Jaesun likes this.
  20. AnaBleu

AnaBleu Avatar

Superb guide! Thank you! :)