Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Dungeon upgrading feedback

Discussion in 'Release 62 QA Feedback' started by Titania Xylia, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

I like the prospect of the dungeon system. However, upgrading is an absolute pain in the ***.

First, the modal for upgrading the dungeon a single point has to be closed and re-opened to upgrade it again. It's a five step process per single point.

1. Please allow for a batch upgrade of the dungeon where you enter the number of points to upgrade a dungeon, then the total cost is paid at once. This will really make it more clear how much these dungeon upgrades cost and increase our chances of remaining sane in our dungeons.
    2. The cost of dungeon upgrades is hilarious. I'm not sure how many points we can upgrade our dungeons by. However, I've already upgraded my dungeon by 100 points for a total of 200, if I want to add another 1000 points, it will cost me 30,500,000 gold if the IGG value continues to increase by a thousand gold per 20 upgrades.
    Make the upgrade dialog more usable. Please reconsider the steep gold cost of upgrading dungeons. I get that you need the gold sink, however, this makes it a fairly silly investment of time and resources and 99% of people probably won't bother upgrading and your gold sink dies in the starting gate.

For the most part, the dungeon system is awesome, but vastly overpriced. Getting it fully upgraded shouldn't take 2000+ hours of game play or $1,900 of IGG purchases off the forums.

I didn't report this as bug, but if you want, I'm willing to move one or both parts over. I don't see the system as broken though simply needing some tweaks.

Worfgar, Cirsee, Jaesun and 6 others like this.
  2. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

+1 Great point Titania

Chatele likes this.
  3. BurningToad

BurningToad Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I do need to work on a batch upgrade system, I apologize for the amount of clicking to upgrade the dungeon. The initial thought was that people would just upgrade a few points at a time as needed when building their dungeon, I didn't really expect people to be doing tons of upgrades at once. Also, due the price changes at different intervals, a batch system is a bit more difficult, though of course doable.

As far as pricing goes, you mentioned "getting it fully upgraded." It's much like skill levels or adventure levels / player experience in the game. There is no hard cap or being "fully upgraded." It does get much more expensive, it's basically a soft cap. Not saying things won't get adjusted or changed in the future, maybe we could add quests or alternate ways to increase your dungeon point limit besides gold and crowns, but it's just personal decision how much gold and such you want to invest to have a larger dungeon. In the end, dungeon point limits also exist because of game client/server performance reasons.

Elwyn, Elrond, Daxxe Diggler and 3 others like this.
  4. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Interesting. Chris had said at SOTACON-Austin that the dungeons did have a cap of 2000... which did not really make sense because if I have a castle at 2000, then a row on the same account would have 1750... and taking the row to 2000 would push the castle farther up. But you did just set a never-ending unobtainable goal on dungeon size... and I am OCD enough to try for it. lol *sighs*

Titania Xylia likes this.
  5. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

I'm glad I'm not the only one that heard that there was a limit somewhere.

2,000 points is certainly prohibitively expensive at 65-105MM igg in upgrades depending on the starting size of your lot. Of course, something that big is a huge undertaking even if it were free to build just building it is a massive undertaking.

I assume, Burning Toad, as one of the devs would know best what has actually been coded into the system and it isn't capped as he mentioned.

6. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Yes, the upgrade costs are quite expensive IMO. I understand the reasoning for making them costly due to not wanting people to get out of hand and screw up performance, etc. But consider the fact that the size limit also limits the amount of rooms we will craft and/or buy to add to them. That's less cash spent in the shop and less granite/gold exiting the game due to the harsh limitations.

I think "quests or some other alternative" to increase the dungeon sizes would be a great idea.

Chatele, Jaesun and Titania Xylia like this.
  7. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

It's already out of hand... I have the potential for 50,000+ dungeon points (across houses) already and I am not the only one building in the town. *evil grin* Hope they're ready for a stress test on that server cause we're building fast.

8. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Yes that does sound a bit extreme, but each dungeon is it's own instance... so unless/until they allow us to connect them together (and even then it will likely be some sort of instance hopping) then it will only matter for the biggest one you can make (performance-wise).

Having many large dungeons may only matter if all of them are occupied by multiple parties at the same time.

9. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

We had originally projected 2000 as a cap but honestly it seems to be holding up pretty well so far. That 2000 number was a SWAG based on how well decos load. I think the real test for it will be when the navmesh stuff goes online shortly. So in short, we're just waiting for Tazar to figure out where it breaks and then we'll make that the cap!

Elwyn, Daxxe Diggler, Elrond and 6 others like this.
  10. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Sooo @Tazar is the reason why we can’t have nice things. ;)

11. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Flair said "Challenge Accepted" so I may be committed now. :p Also - dungeon deco seems to be limited by house basement limits? So a row with a 2000 point basement gets very few deco slots while a castle gets 13,000? or am I miss-reading it?

Well... no... at least once you get there you'll know it's been pre-tested. lol

12. Worfgar

Worfgar Avatar

+1 Titania!!! Excellent points and I agree whole heartedly.

13. Randbo

Randbo Avatar

dungeon item limits are 10 per dungeon point. has nothing to do with the house basements.
    altho some of us are putting planters in the dungeon. 2500 planters is ok with one week watering cycle. ahah

as for the cost. we dont say make it CHEAP, just make it CHEAPER. like mebbe half the current gold price?

Elwyn, K1000 and Daxxe Diggler like this.
  14. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Is anyone doing a mixed dungeon. By mixed i mean....parts of the dungeon are habitable and parts are encounters. So front end of the dungeon is like your basement. You can live in there....then you wander around and BAMMM encounter. Just wondering if anyone is doing this aspect. Could be fun. I am still a bit confused on the upgrading per lot size.

15. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I kinda have to agree with the cost scaling issue.
    Don't get me wrong, I completely understand the softcapping/diminishing returns system.
    But the way it stands, I'm unlikely to invest beyond when it starts costing like say, 5k per point. I just wont do it, it isn't worth it.
    For most players, its so prohibitively expensive beyond the first couple price increases that these gold sinks will never manifest - they simply aren't affordable.
    Scale this down, and you'd get a LOT more gold out of the economy because you'd be selling something worth buyin'.

Chatele likes this.
  16. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

This is why I hope they go with Chris's idea where any deco in a room will stop it from spawning, then you have control over it.
    Also, it's not something that's easy to change later, if they make it cheaper they will probably have to give extra points to people who already have some, for fairness sake.

Jaesun and kaeshiva like this.
  17. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yeah, either that or add alternative upgrade methods that could trickle down into being cash sinks - ie upgrade via an item that must be crafted whose components could have cost / cash sink properties.

18. Kaizen Strava

Kaizen Strava Avatar

@Belladonna Rose Absolutely. I have already done away with my basement completely. The dungeon options make for a much nicer setting with (hopefully) the added benefit of stepping down the hall into some adventure. Or maybe even mobs mobile enough to come smack me in my head when i am crafting ingots ;)

Belladonna Rose likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.