Upgrading Tax Free Lots

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Calan Caitin, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Thanks for digging that up. Usually, when they mean something to be exclusive to a pledge (like the Grand City Chateau and LotM Keep) they actually say "exclusive". I personally don't have any issue with people who pledged to be able to upgrade their lot deeds though.

2. Phoenix007

Phoenix007 Avatar

I have pledge Duke and many others pledge and I haven't issue about the upgrade.

3. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I also have no issues with people upgrading their founder/ benefactor / pot deeds to a keep or castle.

I already have my custom duke castle island created in the default island POT (that I designed way back when release 20 hit).

I feel blessed that Port choose me to design what I wanted in my ideal island and incorporated that with a much larger land mass connected to it for the metro area.

Since I can put my castle walls on the POT layer it allowed me to use a city lot deed that the Duke castle fits on instead of having to use a keep deed.

4. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

Spent a ton early, but have played with the KS toys enough. One man's opinion here is to let all others have some fun and goals for upgrading.

Also, it would be nice to upgrade one of my lower deeds to a PA TF City since the whole 'boat attached to your property by a bridge' didn't exactly pan out the way it sounded in the early promises.

Sir Frank and Duke Olahorand like this.
  5. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

*shrug*

I cant explain, Im not part of their "financial team". Im just speculating :)

My guess is as before: they see the pledges are more popular than they predicted, and need to capitalize on that to keep the company going. An alternate idea is that there is some sort of resource consumption that wasnt predicted that we arent directly observing, and deterring purchases of a certain type is going to alleviate strain on said resource(s).

I dont see much use in speculating over the specifics, personally. I mostly want to point out that speculation in a negative and accusatory direction is generally unhealthy for the community, unless one has proof. people are shooting themselves in the foot.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  6. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

very similar sentiments here :)

i also think its funny that the lords and ladies out there think their towns are going to be flooded with "vagabond, imposter castle owners". its a fortune indeed in IRL money to upgrade to that tier.

ill probably take advantage of upgrading the oracle row lot to a village, but i would never give up my clutch location in an NPC town for a bigger lot. even if the next tier size opened up right next to me, its unlikely id spend the irl money to upgrade my deed.

i have no problem whatsoever knowing i will never have a castle deed or lot in this game :). it does not matter to me whatsoever. im sure lots feel the same way.

to those that want to support portalarium and update their deeds to castles: high five! f**k yeah! thanks for funding this great game!

7. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Well Ill say this much, if you feel youre owed an acknowledgement and/or apology, I dont think its wrong for you to ask for it :)

Kara Brae likes this.
  8. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

My belief and often posted faith that the team will honor its pledges is neither negative nor accusatory. Vituperative attacks are not my style. Trusting in honorable people is; thus, my belief they will honor the pledge dollars and promised made in exchange for them. That is why I pledged again.

Black Tortoise and Beaumaris like this.
  9. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

@King Robert sorry if I was unclear - its not directed at you! My comments are for everyone :) Thanks for contributing to the success of Novia :)

I changed my language from you to one, above...

King Robert and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  10. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

At the end of the day they are getting money today in exchange for cutting off a money supply tomorrow. There little to no hope that Port could run another successful crowd funding campaign as legions will point out that they don't consider themselves beholden to the promises they make during the campaign, of which this decision is just more fuel for the fire.

11. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I was not aware of the promise of tax free keep/castle deeds. We'll end these in the next patch we make.

12. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

@Chris Please do not prevent us from upgrading to TF Keeps/Castles in our own PoT's we purchased. We bought our own towns, we should be able to place what we want in them.

I mean there was also "promises" of Lot exclusiveness, limited land and SO much more. We bought Inns on the "promise" that we could rent rooms to those people who didn't owns homes, Now we are GIVING AWAY Rows and Villages as rewards. WHY are you picking and choosing who gets screwed over and who doesn't? Let me sell back all the things I bought from the COTO store then by right clicking and cash them in so I can retain my investment and move forward.

The audacity of the company to pick and choose who gets "promises" kept and who does not is getting silly. The Kickstarter was in 2013 - can we simply move forward for the betterment of the game?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Duke Olahorand, Trevour and yinki2 like this.
  13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Pity. But to City is still possible?

14. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I'll read what was promised and see if we can allow that. This is a REALLY frustrating topic for myself and the rest of the team as most of the promises were made by a person who is no longer with the company. Not only do we not agree with the idea of "dead" content but aren't even fully aware of what was promised. Now we're spending hours researching old promises instead of making new content.

Chatele, Barugon, Elwyn and 9 others like this.
  15. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

I love you guys and I understand. Really I do. Its time to move forward.

16. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

I mean everything becomes so much more complex.. I have founder deeds. I should be able to upgrade and use them in my own PoT but how do you make checks against that? I want to use that on a keep in the water, not a land based keep or castle that a PoT TF or Taxable will give me access to. I don't want to devalue my Founder Deed just to place it where I want in the town we bought and nurtured. Any deed should be free game to do with what we want in a PoT. There is a TON I am frustrated over that is not as exclusive as it was thought to be but I shrug that off as moving forward for the betterment of the game. Being told we can't chase that carrot of upgrading in our town would be a major disappoint.... it was the only thing really I saw as a reason to keep adventuring... the grind of the new COTO drops to eventually expand my housing as far as it could go in our town.

I mean if you really need to nix the NPC Towns as part of that upgrade promise I guess I get that. I hope you can find a work around.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Trevour likes this.
  17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Thank you. Could you do a seperate clarification post if ysou are able to solve this riddle? Otherwise it might get lost.

18. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

This discussion is beyond absurd. I was there in Kick-starter... Heard all the "promises" of exclusive land, limited lots, get in early cause less then 20% of players would have housing! I used these definitions to buy and plan ahead. How do I explain to my wife all the broken plans of why we purchased houses, lots, Inn's etc all in the name of saving time and money and being "exclusive". Tax free is the way to go to save rent.... So now rent is almost NOTHING!! We spent REAL Money for our exclusivity and ability to not pay tax. SURE you never promised the tax amounts so nice loophole there.... You are tax free of almost zero tax.... in fact we are now GIVING you "free" village housing by visiting an Oracle!

$500+ For Tax Free Village Exclusivity against a $165 Taxable Village Lot.
    Now there is no tax cost difference if we visit an oracle each day.

Ok Listen... I am not dogging the Devs. They are in a bad spot. I am appealing to players to understand we in a place where we need to move FORWARD. We have all made sacrifices. We have all lost investments and exclusivity. This is nothing like what was planned, BUT we are going forward. We NEED to go forward in order to make a better game. This is only hurting in the long run holding them to 5 year old plans. We need to adjust to survive.

Elwyn, K1000, Jaesun and 2 others like this.
  19. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

K1000 and ErikRulez like this.
  20. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

Kickstarter is not where exclusive promises end. As mentioned throughout this thread, the pledge pages specifically notated that the tax free deeds of each size ina pledge would not be available on the store or in game.

Mentioned time and time again that tax free deeds were pledge only, like in update 178, for just one example -

[​IMG]

With the launch of the new Add On Store Bundles, we are pleased to include Tax Free versions of the Player Owned Town Lot Deeds that we introduced in Update #172. These deeds can only be used inside Player Owned Towns and they can only be purchased through bundles, not individually. This is to mirror what we did with regular Tax Free Lot Deeds (which could only be purchased through pledges). We will carefully monitor sales of these as compared to placed lot markers in Player Owned Towns to make sure we do not oversell them. This week, we are introducing Row Lots but we plan to sell bundles with Village, Town, and City Lots soon.

Sir Frank likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.