Upgrading Tax Free Lots

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Calan Caitin, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

I'm not a seed investor so didn't read all the terms, would have if I was. BUT my understanding was seed invest was investing in a separate publishing company to allow port to publish the game through that company. Not an investment in the game development company. But as I say, I could be completely wrong.

Regards
    Spung

Elwyn likes this.
  2. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

It was an investment in Portalarium that was to provide them with financing to transition into publishing the game, which would have likely included marketing, advertising, delivery, etc. Given that they were publishing in the regions outside of those formerly covered by Travian and those covered by Black Sun, they could have used those funds to do these tasks on their own or work with partners.

Investment in the seedinvest gave stock in Portalarium to those who contributed. The amount of stock was based on the amount of their financial contribution.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Spungwa likes this.
  3. Cleome Arachnid

Cleome Arachnid Avatar

Who really thought it was a good idea to limit housing to >20% of the player base? Seriously, that is dumb, particularly when you look at how popular UO was because of the housing. I relish the ability to upgrade with Cotos if I chose, a tf city lot would be awesome. I won’t be angry at the person with a tf village upgrading to a town either. Be forewarned though good town lots are hard to find!

Oh and

Get off my property!

Jay Nord likes this.
  4. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Thanks, as i said I was not sure, just remember the "marketing" of it on live streams and stuff, never dug into the actual terms.

evillego6 likes this.
  5. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Technically it was the preferred stock that was least preferred on all counts.
    I thought the reason was obvious, if housing is limited to 20% deeds are a precious commodity and should command a higher price. You are harkening back to one of the earliest "Port has gone back on a promise" thread in these parts.

6. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Even with 2 castles and multiple keeps, I am not going to take a position on this one... But - I do want to point out that your statement above is false - even about Commission Free Vendors.
    All pledge rewards were "Listed as Exclusive". To quote from the pledge page (bold and underlined where appropriate) - 2nd paragraph description of pledges in general prior to any specific pledge detail:

"We have over 20 pledge tiers available containing over a hundred exclusive rewards. Choose the reward Tier that’s right for you, pledge your support, or upgrade your existing pledge, and get all the exclusive Rewards while they are still available. Once you pledge, you can immediately start playing the game, allowing you to experience it while it is being developed. And we invite you to help guide the future of the game by joining our forums and sharing your feedback!"

Link to archive for convenience: https://web.archive.org/web/20141224232737/https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=35139

Sir Frank likes this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

That does not say that all the pledge rewards are exclusive.

Elwyn and Sentinel2 like this.
  8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I know I have less sympathy for player loss because I never look at it as an investment. I am sorry for those who take it as an investment or feel they have lost but if I went there I could never go anywhere else to rally for this game. It is a game to support or not support. Anything after that is gravy and sometimes not. To talk about loss well we have all gained a game and it still has problems that need our input to help pull it together still of course imo. And I still believe through it all that upgrade-able lots no matter how they affected past purchases are the way to go for this game. So I will of course leave you to it those who want to stay on this subject. I'm sorry.

9. Curt

Curt Avatar

My main worry is the situation where is more deeds than lots avaible.
    Restrict place anywhere deeds to max upgrade to city would reduce the risk of people with expansive deeds not finding space.

Also make so you don't get both a row deed and a village deed from the story. rather upgrade the row lot deed to a village lot deed. Again to risk running out of spots easy

10. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Albert Baumhauer and King Robert like this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

All it says is that during the time you could pledge, the only way to get a rent-free castle lot was through a pledge.

Elwyn likes this.
  12. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Would you like to go through the pledge sheets and add them up to get to "over a hundred"? No - it does not specifically detail which are - but that sort of open ended statement with a little over 100 rewards on the pledges, it is pretty clearly showing the intent.

13. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

So the real takeaway should be that PA lot growth should probably not grow beyond City size.

Or have we travelled too far into the mainland of the Isle of Forgotten Toys to just not look to the past?

14. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I respect your opinion however I disagree. Here is why.

I see nothing suggesting (for example) the commission free vendor was exclusive. There are over a hundred rewards which were exclusive. The commission free vendor I pointed out because it's something you can currently purchase in the add on store. Suggesting it wasn't exclusive. And it was available in bundles. Again, not exclusive.

So unless something was stated as exclusive (like the LOTM or Duke Homes) then it wasn't.

Yes I agree with you. There were over a hundred rewards which are exclusive.

And there were many which were not. The Commission Free Vendor being one example.

Elwyn and Alley Oop like this.
  15. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

smack linked to this post by Starr earlier in this thread. It includes the following quote from Starr

16. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

And you keep conveniently forgetting that they expired those pledges AND the deeds, but here it is again. From update 172

If that didn't mean they were going to expire pledge lot deeds and expire doesn't really mean expire, can they bring back all of the LotM/Duke/Baron/Lord/etc. pledge items so I can buy them in the store? Or better yet, keep the functionality just like the deeds - let me upgrade my cloth cap for a LotM crown for COTOs in game. If everyone can get a castle now, I sure would like the crowns and cloaks to buy. Because expire doesn't really mean expire it seems, so just open it all up.

Cyin likes this.
  17. Kaizen Strava

Kaizen Strava Avatar

This "This lot size only available through pledge purchase; not available in Add-On Store nor in-game" (speaks to present time)
    does not =
    This "This lot size will always only be available through pledge purchase; not available in Add-On Store nor in-game" (speaks to future)
    nor does it =
    This "This lot size will not be made available through any other future promotion or offer" (speaks to sinilarity of future promotions)

IMHO: if the promise was actually made that the rewards in question would only ever be/have been available with the "one opportunity" then that promise should be upheld.
    I have yet to see any documentation that is the case though. Only the perception of seems to be afloat..

18. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

See above, the tax free place anywhere deeds were explicitly expired during summer 2016. Unless, of course, the word expire doesn't mean it is going away forever. Last time I checked though, it did.

19. Kaizen Strava

Kaizen Strava Avatar

• Pledges: Certain pledges come with lot deeds and these lot deeds also are tax free. Note that these pledges and the tax free Lot Deeds that come with them, are all expiring during the May and July 2016 Expiration Events.
    Expire=(of a document, authorization, or agreement) cease to be valid, typically after a fixed period of time.
    By very definition , that does not mean "forever" it only speaks to the present.
    To offer a commonplace analogy, when your driver license expires you must renew it or stop driving.

20. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Ah, so that gallon of milk in my fridge is going to be good again some day?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.