Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Making water from fountains/wells gather faster

Discussion in 'Release 62 Feedback' started by AoiBlue, Jan 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

The current gathering of water from wells and fountains is prohibitively slow. Is there any way we could get it to be faster?

Currently people just buy water from NPC vendors because the time to draw it is not worth it the 2 gold a bucket.

There are several possible ways to fix this:
    1: Draw multiple buckets at a time.
    2: Decrease draw delay.
    3: Make drawing water rate skill dependent.
    4: Make the number of buckets of water drawn at a time skill dependent.
    5: All of 1-4
    6: Any of 1-4

I personally like option 3 and 4 but they are a little harder to code, so options 1 and 2 might be a better option.

2. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I agree. I always thought there should be a "gather water" skill in the Agriculture tree. The higher the skill, the larger the quantity of water you can gather.

3. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

Or it should be part of the "watering" skill.

I personally like the idea of increasing the amount of water drawn. This simulates that a bucket of water is several units of water. I'd like to say about 10, but that might be a bit generous.

I also think the water units should be lighter.

It would also be nice if an empty bucket (the type you find around) could be filled with water and would have a model with a level to indicate what water. This is just one example of a single stacked content container that would be nice to have. Adding a fill and empty animation set would be nice, but isn't absolutely necessary.

While specialty add/remove content animations would be cool, just using the generic interact/grab animation despite it not being something that can be grabbed wouldn't hurt immersion. In fact, a specialty animation might risk entering the dangerous uncanny valley, and we don't want that.

I've gone over the algorithm to generate a variably filled item model before, but I'll recap for educational purposes of the readers:
    The easiest way to do this is to make the substance inside the container a "layer" that is occluded by an occluder that shows only what is in the interior of the container. You slide said model up and down so more of the bottom cylinder is not occluded and the top is higher. This allows a variable height of water in a bucket, or a variable height pile of spices in a spice container. It works on just about anything, and is really lightweight.

4. Elas TheWise

Elas TheWise Avatar

I agree

Synergy Blaize and By Tor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.