General feedback on Why things are so ehhh . .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Weins201, Feb 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Fine, take out the grocery stores then.

2. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Think im still on auto mod..
    But a lot of confusion like this could be rectified by having a LOT more information in loading screens.
    They could add 30 or 40 helpful tips in these loading screens in a matter of an hour or 2 and it would go a long way in reducing new person frustration.
    * Rumor has it the underground passes contain all sorts of mineable gems!*
    * Trying to make a salad? Farmers with fresh produce can be found ______! *
    * Feeling stuck in combat? Experiment with the deck builder by pressing ____!*
    * Looking for a relaxing out door outing? Try buying a fishing poll and some bait and begin catching today!*
    * Need a more challenging encounter? Seek out the dangerous caverns of _____! *
    * Trying to master that one specific skill? Experiment with locking used experience in the skills tab ! *
    * Need a faithful animal companion ? Summoning whistle and taming collars are your first step!*
    * Not sure where to find player crafted gear? Try your local auctioneer in _____! *

Etc.. etc.. etc

3. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

Do you want a game environment where easy things are difficult with a few hundred concurrent players or an intuitive and fun one with tens of thousands?

And spare us all the talk about, "They should just tough it out or find it on the Wiki.", because the numbers indicate....that....doesn't...work for most people.

4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

That's because you are doing it the "wrong" way, in quotes because it's not wrong, it's just not the normal way. The normal way is to find gems in loot or from mining, or from other players. The thing is, it's been so long without new players that everybody just dumps their gems into the Big Chest and forgets about them. That's because it's been so long that everybody else playing already has their own pile of forgotten gems, so it hasn't been worth trying to sell them to other players for a long time, well over a year.

Well the problem right now is not enough devs, because not enough players, because no advertising, presumably because Travian failed at the advertising they were supposed to do. At some point there should be more devs for a ramp up to Episode 2, and this should be something to be worked on when that happens.

These are basic crafting supplies for cooking. Just because they aren't sold by the crafting supplies vendor doesn't make them less important. And they are in some places and not others with no rhyme or reason, and need to be better distributed.

It's not just that some vendors have onions, and others don't, it's that there is no sense to it. It's not just big city vs small town. For instance, mandrake seeds are in Brittany Estates, the high-end housing district with no lot smaller than town size, but not any where else in Brittany. How the hell does that make any sense?

5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

This seems to be intentional though, so even if they had an army of devs we'd still have this dumb immersion breaking rage inducing distribution of.... groceries.

Thwip, MrBlight and Leostemplar like this.
  6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

;)

Leostemplar likes this.
  7. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

I don't reckon it would take one person more than a day to revise basic component availability on vendors. My caveman brain presumes it's a matter of revising inventory. Ought to be straight forward.

Perhaps the farming merchant with the big ol' stack of taters in Aerie could spare one of the display models ;):D

Leostemplar and Dartan Obscuro like this.
  8. Floors

Floors Avatar

You can also get a ton of free veggies in Tenebris and don't even have to pay.

9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I think it's more complicated unfortunately.

I'm guessing the vendors themselves have their inventory on them in the scene. So the dev has to go into each scene and manually change for each vendor, rather than looking at a big spreadsheet view and being able to adjust it that way. Just a guess.

Paladin Michael and Elwyn like this.
  10. Floors

Floors Avatar

I dunno. I'm sure the vendor stuff is in a database table that could accept a data migration to update the contents, they probably have just been too busy with

1.) moving the servers
    2.) adding features to player dungeons like the adventure mode
    3.) adding the store in game
    4.) all the R62 page stuff

To get it all updated. But personally I am in favor of getting rid of these lame NPC vendors anyway and make this a full player driven game. It would encourage agriculture which seems to be too much for some, and that could add more reasons to play for some players.

Also, it was vacation time and everyone's been sick over there.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  11. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I agree with this.

I don't think so, some of the things that would have been pretty easy fixes in my imagination have required the devs go back and do it scene by scene, which surprised me. I'm trying to remember specifics but I do remember when I saw that it made me realize that a bunch of the changes I had thought would be fast will actually take many hours of manual load/data entry/save/load repeat.

12. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well, I don't know for sure. That's just how I imagine you'd update tabular data in a game like this. But I'm not a game developer.

13. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

You're telling me you guys don't know about Onion Quest?

14. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

From my prospective, I rather like having to hunt for recipes vs the old get them all. I think too many game these days are hold hand instant reward.

15. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

Its a double edged sword - in one way lazy passerby don't stand a chance, and in another way determined players grow strong and wise.

"Yeah, I know where the onions are."

16. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Question for the hardcore crowd: What's the bigger and sweatier hand to hold?

1) Going to the farmers market/relevant artisan;

2) Googling for a guide.

There's nothing hardcore about SotA wiki. You're not getting a tattoo of a tear under your eye for each vegetable name / recipe name that you put into a search engine. Nor is running around the world searching for basic things a great role playing experience (not for most people, anyway). Has any role player, ever, said, "I can't immerse myself in the world unless an NPC vendor doesn't have something for sale that they are displaying in their shop?"

17. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well..... while we waiting for episode 2 story, you can't blame us for needing motivation lol :p:D

18. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Aaaaah that's the best worst!

Helvig Ingvildsdottir likes this.
  19. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

I legit laughed out loud!

Leostemplar likes this.
  20. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

This just beautifully demonstrates the error in thinking regarding acquisition of items in this game.
    In the misguided attempt to make "regional economies" (Ship sailed the moment they let us put vendors in our front yard) they've essentially made a mess of:
    - seeds
    - produce
    - recipes (ughhh)

I had a similar rage-inducing episode trying to find coconut seeds, so I feel ya.

There is no reason, no reason WHATSOEVER, to have non-standard seed vendors all over the place sometimes different within the same town.
    There is no reason WHATSOEVER to scatter buyable recipes all over the map -
    ..Essentially requiring that the player use an outside-of-game resource to have a chance to find them - sadly, they've scrambled this so many times that most resources are useless or out of date. And people get less and less motivated to update said resources since who knows when its all going to get another scrambling.

The removal of recipe discoverability and implementation of the "teach, reteach, maybe teach maybe not" system was a horrible idea. Anything players discovered via discovery to begin with can't be taught unless you go buy the paper and there's no easy way to see which recipes this is the case for without trying to uhhh...go through your recipe book manually and write them down while stood at the vendor ....oh god, the recipe book, shoot me now.

Putting component recipes as rare drops located within rare-drop-bags was an even worse idea.

For the love of all that is holy, some consistency!

If you're going to let players teach recipes, then for crap's sake, get rid of this whole mess of teachy-reteach (sometimes but maybe not) crap and just let things be reteachable. I get flagging a few exceptions like pledge reward recipe (edelmann cask stuff?) but for standard stuff, why the mess? Even better, just put discovery back. It was a better system, as you had to actually get the components which often cost significantly more than the few hundred gold anyway. And it made a lot more sense. Back in the day, teaching someone a recipe was exactly that - telling them what components they needed and walking them through the process. Who cares if it was on a website? The recipe locations are on a website -now- there will always be web resources when the game fundamentally fails to be consistent and logical.

I could understand scattering of recipes if there was some sort of rhyme or reason to it. Ok, so shogun lights and dividers are sold in perennial coast...makes sense, right? Norgard chair in Norgard. I'm with it.

I don't understand why produce vendors inventory is a mess, or why sometimes they don't even sell the items that they have as deco on the table in front of them.

I don't get the whole 'find the right seed vendor' mini-game either...just put them all on the pot merchant, please, and dispense with the silliness.

If you want to have them be different and make players hunt, then at least have some sort of logical system for doing so.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.