Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Suggested driver for AMD Linux

Discussion in 'Release 62 Feedback' started by AoiBlue, Feb 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

Your information on the AMD Linux drivers is a few years obsolete.

First off, even mentioning RadeonFB/DRI is out of date. Several years ago was replaced with AMDGPU-KMS/DRI for newer cards and RadeonSI-KMS/DRI for older cards. (The two are slightly different variants of the same driver. The two drivers use an interdependent codebase but now duplicate the code between the two drivers.)

I would recommend the newest stable Mesa (Currently 13.3.3 as of this writing) and a minimum of release 13.x. This is the recommended requirements for Valve's SteamPlay.

This should be the same for all Mesa based drivers.

For an alternative driver, AMDGPU-Pro and AMDGPU-Open should be also recommended. They are both good drivers released directly by AMD. I have not kept up completely, but currently they have a few key features that the Mesa drivers don't have, but their performance isn't quite as good. The AMDGPU-Mesa is by far the best driver right now as of performance and reliability on OpenGL 4.5 applications.

Additionally, there should be a note on experimental drivers that should be generic for all platforms and denote that any bug the slightest bit related to graphics should be checked without overrides, experimental options or unsupported drivers before reporting.

I know that the Linux graphics driver development has accelerated drastically over the past few years, so it's no surprise if you can't keep up if you aren't personally following. I don't blame anyone for that. It's just what happens when technology moves fast.

As a final note, you might want to discontinue the 32 bit binary and mark 8GB of memory as required, and 16GB recommended. This is actually getting quite common these days. I know it's better to fix all the memory leaks and hope that brings it down, but you'd still have 16GB recommended, and I doubt anyone is using the 32bit binary anymore.

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Give it a try. It won't even finish loading.

3. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I have reported this a year ago, and they are not changing it..
    I gave up.

4. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

Yeah the 32bit binary should completely be removed.

It is absolutely useless. There is no way the game will run under 4GB.

Also, while Linux supports both paged mode 32bit, allowing up to 64GB of address space depending on kernel build options, but Unity3D only supports dedicated flat page mode. Besides, most distros now use a 4GB per process maximum map size for 32bit processes, simply because anything that uses more than that is usually built 64bit.

64bit mode, by contrast, supports 256TB of address space, but most systems only support 256GB of physical memory.

All this about address space is pretty moot because it's many consumer motherboards are limited to 38bits of physical address memory including in physically addressed internal cards, such as video cards.

Windows never had paged access mode for executable pages, only for data pages, and only on server and workstation versions. They claimed the use of it interfered with Direct3D DMA, but most people think they just wanted to push the change to 64bit and charge extra for workstation and server versions of Windows.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Feeyo and Barugon like this.
  5. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

I really think it's a problem that low level developers code never fully embraced segmented protected mode setups like PAE. However, I am glad AMD chose flat memory map for AMD 64 in response to this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.