Very Disappointed In Treasure From Highvales Two Stones Crypt...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Khalest, Jul 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

There may be a lesson in the zealous quest for treasure leading to a crestfallen state, Avatar. Perhaps the -real- treasure was overlooked.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  2. oplek

oplek Avatar

I think in many cases, the dev's mentality is that doing these quests is its own reward. Like playing a game of Sudoku, people usually do it for the sake of doing it. We're not handed a cash reward for completing a puzzle.

Maybe the mistake is having any quests have a reward in the first place. That'd eliminate any pretense of people slogging through them for the prize, and leave them for those who want to immerse themselves. Or, at least, state what the reward is up-front, like WoW tends to do, and an approximate time-to-completion... so people can choose whether they want to spend the time, and avoid the mouse-throwing rage moments.

... and of course, make the quest system worth immersing yourself into.... or immersion-compatible in general.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  3. Caladhan

Caladhan Avatar

What about better loot in offline mode? They could do that!

4. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Some much of the loot in this game feels like placeholders that they forgot to replace.

FruityTooty likes this.
  5. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I'm speaking for other people based on my own guess, so I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that when people say they want "better" loot, they're not necessarily always asking for more or better stuff. More like there should be more consistency in how drops correlate to the required amount of time and/or power. SotA is better than it used to be in this area, but a lot of stuff is still pretty messed up.

6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

My biggest complaint is presentation.

Let me know when I get something cool. I hear there is a little ding or something, but that's not really impressive I guess. Presentation is everything. Zelda makes a rupie look like a big deal, and it works.

majoria70 likes this.
  7. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

That is exactly the problem, there is no "good" loot at all. Even the bundle bags give crap loot. The problem is that there are no "cool" items they can add to the looting table.
    The rare items in SotA are mostly, at least they WERE from the monthly streams. And since the subscription model these items are not rare at all anymore.
    And as the model was to have the players create the almighty rare gear/weapons, they have nothing special to add to the looting table. So a a chest will always give useless items.

For the moment the BEST looting tables are located in the rare bundles, and still those have loads of useless stuff. I wanted to link the wiki page with the bundle items, but they seem to have been removed.
    So the best option will be OR: add the looting tables from the supply bundles into the chests, and base that on the TIER of the scene.
    Or: Add player crafted gear that have been sold from vendors and up their stats internally based on scene tiers so that the items get some internal stats upgrade based on tier levels.
    Or: SotA devs need add more and better items, crowns, crown shop items, recipes, weapons and gear that are a bit unique, and uniqueness based on tier levels.

8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Or: Have NPC's pay enough that crafters will sell good gear to them, thus going into the loot tables.

I know, I know, it's crazy that crafters should have it as easy as adventurers when it comes to getting gold.

9. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Thanks for the heads up. It looks like the template broke when we updated the version of mediawiki. I'll work on getting this fixed. The pages are there, but they don't display anything.

Feeyo and Jaesun like this.
  10. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I'm late to this party I guess, but I'm going to respond to the OP.

First off, it is an "Outskirt" scene, which is a newbie area, so the treasure should not be super great. The difficulty level should reflect the reward somewhat. I'm OK with adding a few gems, gem fragments, some gold, or even a few health/focus pots in there as those will help out a new player a bit...

However, I completely agree that a "puzzle guarded" treasure chest should have something a bit more special than the standard RNG chest fodder that we are getting. There should be at least one unique item in there that can only be gotten from that chest. Something comparable to Cuthbert, Undead Bane would be perfect! It's not super powerful, but is a named, unique item that can help out new players for a while with the +25% Damage vs. Undead.

Now, we already have the technology for the game to "remember" when you loot a chest (like the one that holds the Banner of Justice in Elysium mines) where once you loot it, it never lets you loot it again and informs you "this chest has already been looted". If they add that feature to this chest, then it won't be able to be farmed for the "unique" item.

Other cool options (for this chest or other Outskirt treasures) could be:
    1. Backpack of Holding - has +10% Encumbrance Capacity when equipped (noobs always have issues carrying loot).
    2. Quickshot Quiver - adds 5% attack speed for ranged weapons (not too powerful, but surely helpful).
    3. Boots of Haste - has +2% run speed modifier (noobs always run around slow until they work up sprint or dash).
    4. Bandit Slayer Bow - adds 25% damage vs. Bandits (not sure if that's possible or if mobs have that classification... but would be a cool starter bow).
    5. Ring of the Lucky Looter - gives 10% extra gold loot from mobs that drop gold (this could be good to keep with you later on too... when you fight things that already drop a decent amount of gold, so the % should be small enough to not be OP)

That's just a few examples. There should be versions for all weapon types and a few different ones for back slot, ring, necklace... and maybe even instruments! But they could get creative and come up with many others like them to make early loot seem exciting and worth exploring for. These should all have a Unique look to them (aside from the slots we don't see) and they should all have an eternal pattern that will carry along the small bonus when we apply the pattern to a crafted item later on! That would allow us to sort of hold onto that memorable loot and give our normal crafted stuff an extra little personal touch.

Anyway, I think if they just devoted a little time and effort to making these rewards seem worthy and exciting to new players...

@DarkStarr @Lord British - Please consider how big of an improvement this would be to help retain new people trying out the game.

Elwyn, majoria70 and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  11. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

We both know that if you increased the buy price for finished goods, gatherers would just increase the cost of raw materials offsetting any gain. It'd be nothing more than a gold faucet for gatherers and farmers.

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I bet the price of materials is governed by supply and demand and not the price of the finished goods.

13. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

If the most valuable product you can make from leather uses 20 units of leather, costs 100g in supply and sells for 1000g, leather's price will jump to 44g or higher within 24 hrs. Introducing higher sell prices only benefits gatherers, the price increase will just work its way down to the source.

14. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Frankly and just my opinion. I think the loot in Highvale Outskirts is befitting a 'starter' zone. And now with giving you a lot deed if you complete any three starters it fits just fine. The whole point of the starter zones is to get the player familiar with the game mechanics and get them ready to venture out into the rest of the world. So honestly its just fine the way it is.

Elwyn, Alley Oop and Jaesun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.