XP and loot change?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nikko, Feb 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Forgive me... I have been gone from the game for several months and I am trying to wrap my head around some really strange things I am running into.

I just learned of the multiplayer mode appears to be "open" when you're not in any adventuring scene, no matter what mode you chose. That seems like a good idea, actually.

This next one, however, is VERY odd, and quite frankly, pretty infuriatingly stupid:

I was playing, just going around and killing very mid-level things. Tier 4 and 5 undead mostly. Easy stuff even at low levels like 60's and 70's, because I wanted the chill sort of "watch YouTube and gain some XP and loot" sort of evening.

I killed a bunch of crap, and noticed the things were dropping the relatively new better amounts of loot (sometimes 55gp, and the normal items) and the usual amounts of XP (like what we used to call "double XP"). Then a patch hit and it was one of those that kicks you from the scene and then says you must get to the up-to-date patch to re-join. OK... No problem. I have seen that a million times before. I log out completely and patch up. Tiny patch, and ready to get back in.

I go back into the game and I start killing the same easy T5 mobs like zombies, imps, hardened skeles...

1. I noticed that the imp stole the 50 gp as usual, and then it drops TWO GOLD PIECES when it dies. I kill a second imp and it also steals 50 from me (expected), and then I get another ONE GOLD! WHAT?

2. I go and kill some T5 zombies and notice that I get 1/4 the normal XP, and VERY VERY poor loot. in many cases, I literally get nothing when they die, and about 450 or so XP. Um. Wow. What's going on?

I leave the scene, and go do a bunch of other crap like sell things, go to 2 other scenes, and kill a few more things and notice that it seems very similar, no matter what I do. I'm so confused. Is there some sort of power hour thing where you get normal loot and XP, and then it drops off to unplayable levels? Did this patch just wreck things and no one knows yet?

Can anyone help me? If this is now normal, I think it may be time to go away for a few more months, because what I was seeing was really bad. Even if you get good crap for an hour, and then it gets bad... Who wants that? Tell me I am insane... please.

Chatele likes this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This might be a bug; like instead of adding the gold to the imp's loot, it might be subtracting it. You should bug report it.
    I don't know what's going on here. Maybe another bug?

Jaesun, Nikko and FrostII like this.
  3. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

well, I mean... everyone is about to flip out if it is a bug.

4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Barugon is right, you should report what you experienced.
    You've already described it pretty well, just copy/paste in a bug report.

Chatele likes this.
  5. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Agree. You should report it. It would also be extremely helpful if you were technically inclined enough to copy the data from your journal file before and after the patch. (Not sure if it's possible to get old journal data.)

Chatele and Nikko like this.
  6. chrisjwhite

chrisjwhite Avatar

It's possible. On my Windows 10 I go to C:\Users\chris\AppData\Roaming\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\ChatLogs and there are over logs in there going back to 11th of January

7. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I played more just now and the issue has disappeared. Thank goodness. I reported the bug, but I will not be digging in journal entries if I never see it again. Unless maybe other people start reporting that.

Barugon and Jason_M like this.
  8. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

@nikkon78 Glad to hear it sorted itself out. By the way, welcome back to New Britannia :)

Thank you for that! This will doubtlesslu be useful at some point for anyone interested in bug smashing.

Nikko likes this.
  9. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

So, no one else has seen this weirdness before?

10. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Problem has returned. I am doing the exact same thing as last night, and I am now getting garbage for loot and XP. The mobs seem to be giving somewhere in the neighborhood of one third the XP they are supposed to give, and practically no gold pieces. Many mobs simply give nothing.

It has to have something to do with time spent in a zone or something. Go to your favorite hunting ground and be sort of passive. Kill things while you're watching TV or something... Make sure it goes over an hour. Then leave the scene to go sell, or whatever. Come back in and you'll probably notice it too.

This is mental. I can't possibly be the only person noticing this.

11. Katu

Katu Avatar

Are you sure that your skills are not sucking up all the xp you get? If you have too many skills with green arrow, your pool won't see any xp.
    Loot has sucked from day one, so if you did get good loot, might report that as a bug /j

12. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Which scene are you in specifically?

13. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Sequanna Colossus at this time, but I can go to any scene right now and I am getting 1/4 to 1/3 the XP. I just got like 350 from a Zombie. So weird. I can log out and back in, and it'll just persist until who knows when. Next day? Maybe if I wait hours and then log back in? Around 1pm Central or so, I'm going to go see Lego Movie: Part 2 with my kids, so when I get back after it, I'll check to see what's going on. This is probably some really stupid method of discouraging players from sitting and grinding content that is too easy for them. If it is, I think I might finally be done with Shroud for good.

The game is a grind. We all know that. This is how I get through the boredom of the grind. I'll fight easy crap that isn't likely to threaten me much, and I'll watch TV while keeping an eye on things in the combat. If crap goes south, I can always heal or do some things more actively if needed. When I get together with a friend to do some interesting things, I'm much more active, and typically enjoy the game. When I am alone and bored, sometimes this is my way of getting at least some sort of advancement, while not being completely bored out of my skull. And no, I am not botting, or anything of that nature. I'm definitely doing what a good 50% of the game's player base does from time to time. It called the casual grind, in your favorite hunting ground.

Someone try this. Please. Go to a zone that is slightly under your current level, where you can just be passive and not stressed out. Kill things for a while and make sure it goes at least one hour. Log out, or go to a different scene. When you get to the new scene, or log back in, check loot and XP levels for the standard mobs that you tend to fight. Let me know what you experience.

14. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I have probably thousands of hours in Shroud. I know the mechanics of locking skills and making sure I know when I am "using" from the XP pool.

I definitely know that loot has never been super exciting in Shroud, trust me. I know this very well. This is not that. The standard loot tables are fine for an hour or so, and I'll get say 2 rotting flesh, and 5 corpse wax, 15 to 60 gold pieces, and if I am really lucky an obs chip. THEN... I'll go sell things or log out. I'll come back to that same scene, or a similar one and kill similar mobs. I'll then get 0 to 2 gold pieces from EVERY SINGLE MOB and maybe one corpse wax or whatever. It is a HUGE difference.

I slept last night, and came to the game this morning and the issue was gone. YAY. But then an hour later after I had eaten some cereal and watched Doug DeMuro talk about a Ferrari, and I see the same thing starts to happen after switching scenes. That's the really odd part about it. I go to a nearby scene that has a similar type/difficulty of mob and even THOSE do this to me. Why?

15. Katu

Katu Avatar

Then, file a bug report. You seem to be sure its a bug, so no need to speculate on it.

16. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Big question and I have to ask , first are you plagged PvP, or where you in a PvP area? there was a change to Exp while flagged and in open scenes. Soo that could explain a difference in EXP. That is the reason you file bug reports, it give data they need to figure it out. Also some scenes force sungleplayer even if oyu are in multi.

There are fators that you eed to clarify.

If you are not flagged or in PvP zones it could be that you turned a skill on or off . . . . .

If all those factors are negativce then it is a bug.

As normal and I always say BUG REPORT it, if it isn't they wil let you know

17. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Doesn't seem like you're reading what I am saying here. I am definitely not changing modes. I have mentioned the zone or zones. They are not PVP. This is something like a bug, OR, and I already mentioned, possibly some sort of auto throttle back of XP and loot because they want to discourage the passive grind while watching TV/YouTube.

As I have already stated, the difference in XP is HUGE. I'm talking I get the full 1800 or whatever it is from a zombie, and then when this ugly thing shows itself, I am getting around 300 or 400 XP. I already stated all of this. There is nothing in the game that has EVER caused that behavior before September of 2018. I know that much.

18. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Read very well, TY. but I did only read the OP. No mention of PvP so figured I would just cover it. also party. . .

Soo since you have bug reported it, have just now wait out and see if they figure it out.

My guess is there is some cross confusion on the server side implementing what I am talking about when it shouldn't.

Hope they figure it out and you do not exp it anymore.

19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Nikko
    You said you get "like" 350, but as yet have given no SPECIFIC number for any given mob.
    You said " I am getting 1/4 to 1/3 the XP" - and once again that is not SPECIFIC at all.

Anything/everything you kill has always had an exact number of xp's to gain from killing it.

Go out and kill 1 thing and see EXACTLY how much xp you get when you kill it, and keep doing that until/if you see any change.
    If you see any difference at all then be specific as to exactly how much the difference is - and bug report it.

Not that hard.

Dhanas likes this.
  20. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Seems like your going attenuated for the exp?
    The loot I can not describe, did they add some sort of attenuation to it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.