My New Collection Quest...Crown Store Buffs!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bayard, Feb 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

Oh, you sly devils! :p

In case you didn't see these patch notes...

February 8, 2019
    Build Number 912 7:45 PM
    Updates - To encourage players to try out the new crown store, they will get a small 1 day long buff with any purchase. The buff strength is the same whether you spend 1 crown or 1000. You can have up to three buffs at once and there are currently 22 variations. If you make another purchase and already have three buffs, the oldest one should be overridden, and you can also dismiss the buffs yourself. These buffs will remain in place for at least two months but possibly longer to help players with the transition to an in game store instead of web store.

So I purchased a new crown store item (then another and another for three separate transactions) this morning to see what all this was about and some of these are NICE! I'll give you three examples and you can discover more on your own:
    - +10 Fire Attunement - Very nice indeed
    - + 0.5 Chaos Attunement - Only .5, is that a typo?
    - +5 Intelligence - Mages rejoice!

These buffs last 24 hours and now I have to resist...the...urge/desire/obsession...to...buy...another...item to see what other buffs there are. :eek:

Wise to make it a limited time offer though so the P2W accusations are muted.

Thanks for the little extra fun!

2. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

That is cool! These effects will go away too from the crown store so the P2W people have no reason to *****. This month I will continue to use the store so the items is locked to my account and can easily redeem them in offline mode.

3. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

Yeah, it sounds like a healthy incentive to get everyone into the new store.

Sean Silverfoot, Chatele and K1000 like this.
  4. SteelCore

SteelCore Avatar

got a +10 earth attunement, so i guess its available for every magic school.

Sean Silverfoot and Chatele like this.
  5. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

Uhhh, buying items to get buffs is exactly pay to win. Perhaps it will be pay to win only for a few months? But notice above it says at least two months, possibly longer.

You can bet your bottom dollar if everyone gets hooked on this they will not be taking it down after two months.

And don’t forget to keep spending until you get the exact three buffs you want folks!!!

Asbury Baker, Dhanas, Tabatha and 6 others like this.
  6. Apostle

Apostle Avatar

This is complete horses**t! I didn't invest all my time into SoTA for a pay to win game.
    I just got 5 dex and 5 int buff, that stacks with the normal blessings. I got these two blessings from purchasing items in the store. I don't care if they are random, or as minute as 5 to any stat. THATS 5 more points of a stat someone gets just for purchasing an item. That's 5 more points of stats, that other people wont have access too.

You are skirting a line that I do not like, and I will quit SotA if these buffs for money are maintained.

7. Apostle

Apostle Avatar

Its an incentive, but it by no means is healthy to the game.

Of course I shouldn't have to mention Titania is the leading COTO to gold merchant in all of Novia. This is great incentive for her and healthy only to her.

Alleine Dragonfyre and Gloop like this.
  8. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

And I doubt it will last.

9. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

This makes no sense at all.

10. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

Did we really need help and incentives to find and use the store in game? Is it that hard to do? I sure don’t think so.

This to me is a test to see if buying buffs will be accepted, with random loot box elements added in for good measure.

I sure hope it is rejected and does not last. Or at least put in shipping soon so we can circle the drain in style.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  11. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

I thought it was a kind of bonus until shop integration in game is done - just a small "thank you" for patience ;)

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  12. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

That’s a really sweet way to look at it. If they just wanted to do a simple thank you it could have been a bigger discount on items though, not selling combat buffs. That is a very calculated line Port is crossing and they added in a random buff factor to entice multiple buys to get the ones you might want. They want to test to see if it entices many small purchases each day.

Of course, saying it is just a thank you and nothing more is easier for many to digest.

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

LOL

14. bugmaster77

bugmaster77 Avatar

Pay to Win Test, on Portalarium's part. As far as I am concerned, it has already failed.

1) Paid Monthly Subscriber--For the time being (Until such time as the game becomes Pay-to-Win, Paid Random-Loot Chests Model)
    2) Store Purchases--Occasionally. (No longer, as it now conflicts with rule #4)
    3) Paying for Buffs--Never. (see rule #4)
    4) Supporting a Pay-To-Win Model--Never.

You were making money from me. But, as you can see above, you are now making LESS. The red will slowly replace the green (font color, MONEY, whatever).

I've seen this same "Let's see how far we can push them" attitude of game developers many times in the past. It has always led to a massive exodus of players from the games these developers put so much time and effort into. Don't make the same mistake.

15. yinki2

yinki2 Avatar

i didnt loot any coto in game since.....actualy i dont remenber last time... are you sure the coto drop rate isnt related to the demon jump strenght?? ;)

looks like the sky just felt and we reached Paytowin planet

Cordelayne, Tabatha and Weins201 like this.
  16. SteelCore

SteelCore Avatar

i looted 5 COTO's this release, i would say they increased the drop rate.

17. Cear Dragon

Cear Dragon Avatar

Its nice but doesn't make any sense. When it doesn't tie in to any game mechanic, have story, or anything like that, its blatantly pay to win. Isn't this what people say is hurting the game? Can we just stop with the buff dependent game play while we're at it? The fact that everyone has a buff deck and I cant join a party without seeing 400 purple potion icons should be a red flag. Make it easier for us to build our characters, not buff them with money.

Jeb Ladedada, Tabatha, yinki2 and 3 others like this.
  18. Floors

Floors Avatar

Again like I mentioned in the other thread, I can understand people not liking them in general, but they're temporary and the PTW concerns make like 0 sense. You can pay cotos for player made items and buy cotos.

The PTW train left the station with everyone on board years ago. So to get up in arms about it over this because of "I don't like PTW in general" I've got some bad news for you.....

I just got a potion of guidance and got +10 taming for 24 hours. That's hardly gonna wreck the game and is actually useful on a new char to make things a little easier. Might even encourage people to try different things.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    K1000, Sean Silverfoot and Gloop like this.
  19. Floors

Floors Avatar

Which zones ?

20. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

Fair enough about being able to buy potions previously. I liked the carrying capacity one so I am guilty of using it. Resident cynic incoming -

But moving into selling combat buffs is a whole other level of icky. It has implications way beyond any current potion. And the random buff is pure loot box nonsense. They even highlight how you can cancel buffs, knowing that you might spend more to get a better one.

So I don’t buy that this is a simple thank you; it is a test of whether players accept buying buffs for crowns/money. They could have given us a thank you in so many ways beyond player combat power. But didn’t.

Notice the language stating these will last at least two months, possibly more. If Port sees these as driving daily purchases, they will stay, likely without another word about it, per the current (non)communication methods.

We did not need these buffs at all to figure out how to use an in game interface, so the “transition” reason given is absurd. We are not idiots that would not have otherwise been able to use it without combat buffs. Please. It is up to us to decide if we want these in our game.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Dhanas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.