Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Crown Store Buffs

Discussion in 'Release 62 Feedback' started by Apostle, Feb 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apostle

Apostle Avatar

This is complete horses**t! I didn't invest all my time into SoTA for a pay to win game.
    I just got 5 dex and 5 int buff, that stacks with the normal blessings. I got these two blessings from purchasing items in the store. I don't care if they are random, or as minute as 5 to any stat. THATS 5 more points of a stat someone gets just for purchasing an item. That's 5 more points of stats, that other people wont have access too.

You are skirting a line that I do not like, and I will quit SotA if these buffs for money are maintained.

2. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

That gotta be the most funny complaint i have seen so far.
    There people that can buy potion of jump since more than a week and jump all around in the fall while u have to take elevator. How do you feel about this one

Mac2 likes this.
  3. Kalidorn

Kalidorn Avatar

This is just a temporary buff to help with the crown store switch over from online to in game. I agree though How dare they give incentive to assist in using a new tool foreign to players. I am not Pavlov's dog here, I don't need a stimulus to precipitate the desired response. I don't hear a bell and drooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool, all that much :p

Mac2 likes this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Did you actually try that? I'm pretty sure the size and jump potions only work in non-PvP towns. Maybe I misread and they also work in adventure zones?

Dhanas likes this.
  5. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

damn u got me ;p no i didnt try it but tought it would be a good idea lol.. i was going to, too bad

6. Floors

Floors Avatar

Tsk Tsk. You gotta take what you read in the forums with a BIG grain of salt.

7. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Well I have to agree here with OP. Tho I do know its a temporarily Pay to win, as Port is trying to make the ingame crown shop seen by the "big" masses.
    But I think it was a very bad move.

Jaesun, Dhanas and Barugon like this.
  8. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I know its temporary, but yeah, I don't like it either. And I don't think its achieving its purpose?
    I mean, it was supposed to be so people realize "hey, there's a store in game" but you only get the "reward" after you've found and used it? Bit of a headscratcher.

If I'm going to buy something, then I'm going to buy it - buff or no buff.
    The buff is not going to make me buy stuff I don't need esp. since its random. If I could buy the buff, I might consider it, but then that's P2W right? So how is this different? People can just buy 1 coto items until they get the buff they want.

In this context, this is WORSE than P2W, its Pay to Win RNG...like a random lootbox of buffs that you pour cotos in until you get the one you want. I realllly hope Sota doesn't go down the road of the "pay real money for a random reward" crap - I'm happy to give you my money, but let me choose what I buy.

it would make more sense and be more fair, if the objective was to "let people know the store is there" to give the reward once a day for simply clicking on the crown and "buying" a FREE buff. That would raise awareness of the store.

I'm actually deliberatley NOT buying anything from the shop until these are removed out of sheer protest.

Jaesun, Aldo, Feeyo and 1 other person like this.
  9. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Exactly, its a huge head scratcher. The way it is implemented now, that it gives us a extra reward for spending money. Is not at all how they described it in the stream anyhow.
    If they really wanted the masses to know about the ingame crown shop, then they should make the monthly rewards receivable through the crown shop.
    Or like all other mmorpgs out there do it, when you login into the game: *wham* crown shop open in your face. Not that it will make me very happy with the shop slapping in your face every time you login..

But they could at least enable the automatically open the shop when you login for the first moth that you play. If you play longer then a month just leave the shop where it is. Callable trough the game menu.

kaeshiva and Dhanas like this.
  10. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

++10 I agree with this^^

11. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Or even if they just put a little bit of text under the crown thing up on the menu that said 'buff available' - and you click it,it opens store interface, and you claim your free daily buff. THAT I would have no problem with. And it does what its meant to - calls attention to the store.
    It has already been amply evidenced that there are some people who have a LOT of money to spend on this game - and that's awesome, I'm grateful for them because its helped fund development. But this is not the majority of folks. The game's always taken the tricky stance of toe-ing the Pay-to-Win line, and this just tumbles right over it.

Feeyo likes this.
  12. Floors

Floors Avatar

These buffs are minor compared what spending 20 cotos on equipment does. And what anyone who wants rares or equipment does, or has been doing for years.

So why is now a tiny +5 Str buff pushing people over the edge of PTW?

13. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Equipment as far as I know on the crown store has totally no advantage for PTW. Please state your comment with proof.

Jaesun likes this.
  14. Floors

Floors Avatar

Errrmm.....

I was actually responding to Kaeshiva's comment, that you liked btw.

"The game's always taken the tricky stance of toe-ing the Pay-to-Win line, and this just tumbles right over it."

This meaning the store buffs.

Here is how PTW works in Sota. You buy crowns from the "crown store" and you got to Titania Xylia usually and get 200,000 IGG from them for 20 COTOS.

Then you go shopping and get items with buffs. How is that not the same thing as PTW ? or buffs ?

Is the thing that as long as it's not done directly from the store, it's fine ? Isn't that semantics and kind of silly distinction to even make ?

I really don't have a problem with that btw. It's just that crying over tiny buffs when that's what everyone with cash does seems a bit... missing the mark.

If this is more about some kind of pvp advantage thing then I guess I understand the playing fields should be level and no 3 day buffs or temporary buffs ?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    rebbieforever likes this.
  15. chrisjwhite

chrisjwhite Avatar

Get rid of Obsidian potions too. Unfair advantage to chop trees 25% faster for a COTO. :)

16. rebbieforever

rebbieforever Avatar

I think its hard to make any free to play game without any forms of pay to win. Lets take another sandbox for example, EVE, it has been praised many times for its financial model but people can buy lots plex points(used for subscription and buying spaceship skins there) and sell them on the market. Then with that ingame currency go buy ships from market. Technically this can happen even on f2p games that sell only cosmetics/outfits too, if the cosmetics are tradeable and can be sold to others for ingame cash. I am personally ok with it as long as it doesnt not excessivelly and invasivelly pay to win(asian mmos have demonstrated a lot on that for example). In Age of Wushu for example payers got big advantages + they could craft - free or out of subcription players were banned from crafting.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.