How to Find Lost Items ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Black Tortoise, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

So I have been searching all of my containers, properties, vaults, etc, for over a year now, and I cant find two items I was using as deco. I am wondering if anyone can share some tips on how to find a lost important item, or your strategies for searching all of your things to find something misplaced.

Do I have to give up and purchase a service voucher and ask port to query their system and find it for me? Is that even an option?

I am missing two, maybe three polearms I was using as deco.

+ One was that + Sun attunement artifact, it was purple and glowed real cool.
    + Benefactor Vanduul Polearm

I noticed I could not find these weapons, and possibly a third add-on store polearm, around the same time as the home owner/tenant permission system came out. I only felt they were related due to a decade + experience playing ultima online and the contention around thieving things from other players' houses (that fear in the back of the mind that one of my locking mechanims was left open and a thief got in... oh wait this is SoTA not UO :p). In any event, after searching the containers nearby, I assumed I must have moved them to a new spot and forgot about it.

As time went on, I started searching my other homes, to no avail. I then got worried since the Benefactor Vand. Polearm isnt replaceable, and my avatar collects polearms! Plus its from my earliest memories of SoTA, and therefore quite dear to me.

I cant shake the feeling that someone stole these weapons from my home, but keep reminding myself that its not possible in SoTA (but what if there was a bug one weekend that someone exploited?!). Im keeping my fingers crossed that its accidentally shoved into some tiny container that I forgot about and packed behind some other items in a storage room, but its been about a year that Ive been searching.

How can I figure out where my benefactor era pledge reward item went?

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  2. Lained

Lained Avatar

If you don't mind redecorating you can send everything to the bank and then find it there easily enough.

Elwyn, Jaesun, Retlaw and 1 other person like this.
  3. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

If you searched every container you own, searched all the walls, and don't see it in your bank... I see two (unfortunate) scenarios that may have happened.

1. You accidentally deleted it.
    2. You accidentally sold it to an NPC merchant.

In either of those examples, it's quite easy to select multiple items in your inventory (and not see them if you don't scroll all the way through your contents) and then deleting or selling the item along with other unwanted items.

Not sure what the policy is nowadays, but in the past it was possible to have a Dev log into your account and search for a specific item to see if you still have it or not.

4. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

It could be inside a wall or under a floor. There a couple way to be able to see trough, by using the lay down emote, you stand in front of the wall you want to check, turn around 180 degrees then lay down (ur head should enter the wall) which will make u see trough them and floor too. Also moving camera to certain part of the wall you might be able to see trough. (Lot of item disapeared that way)

Also i heard someone said he got a vanduul polearm from a supply bag, which mean someone sold one to a npc, this could have happened too.

5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

only crafted stuff sold to npcs goes into the loot table and you can't sell the vanduuls anyway, they have 0 value and so just don't show up on that screen.

...not even all crafted stuff, just things with a "crafted by" tag, so not things like stacks of boards.

Jaesun and FrostII like this.
  6. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

I have seen cases where an item was not visible (fell inside a wall, under a table, etc... but when the home was moved into the property manager and then back again, the item reappeared. Certainly worth trying before a total redo of the deco by collapsing the home.

Jaesun, FrostII and Black Tortoise like this.
  7. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

addon store item drop from bag too, i found a virtue ice staff myself and someone found a vanduul weapon like i said, it could have been used as a pattern

8. Floors

Floors Avatar

Yeah I "lost" a few things this way too. like the fyndoro tablet, it was on the floor at one point and can't even remember if I sold it in the early days before it worked or what. No biggie.

Sending stuff to the bank is not an option if you've spend hours decorating so....

It would certainly be nice if there was a database "full inventory" view at the bank with the locations of objects and where they are, doesn't seem like it would be that hard to add a tab to the bank for this for your account.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Ancev likes this.
  9. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I did that for the lot that I suspected it to be on, with no success. I have not yet done that for basements I use as storage though... *gasp* I guess I could get started on that.

While this is possible, the probability is extremely low. Im very meticulous with such things :)

now this is the kind of trick I was looking for :) thanks. the home I suspected I lost it in is stashed in my property manager, I just need to rotate it out and try this. I really hope its just stuck in the wall!

thanks, I thought so - though, there was a time when you could sell such things to NPCs (it was still safely living on my wall as deco during that time)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  10. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Magic mover, put the house into storage in the property manager, everything goes into bank, then serch the bank but name. then just replace the house, if you did not change locations or POTs or towns will not cost anything. EVERYTHING goes into bank when in magic mover. you can do a property at time but just wait 5 minutes before replacing.

If you do this and the item does not aper it was sold or salvaged (lost) and will not get replaced, if it on a property it will appear. If you don't know exact name get as close as you can.

dragonswatchz, Elnoth, Spoon and 4 others like this.
  11. Floors

Floors Avatar

Cool didn't know that.

12. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Zero value items could have expired off of a public vendor. And if they just delete reward-type items when they expire off a vendor, instead of putting them in the player loot pool, then they should be putting them in there.

There needs to be some kind of UI to let you see all the items in your lot and yoink out things that got stuck in the cracks. I have a red sash stuck somewhere in one of my houses from when I tried to use a bunch of them as deco. I just think of it as a sort of sacrifice to the deco gods.

Oh? I didn't realize that the property mover put the items into the bank individually. I thought it stored everything as a big lump. I may have to try that.

13. Alley Oop

there's never been any indication from the devs that stuff expiring off public vendors goes into the loot tables. that is not the same thing at all.

14. Lained

Lained Avatar

That was the initial idea going back to when they first introduced public vendors that evolved to include crafted items sold to merchants.

15. Alley Oop

was it enacted?

16. Lained

Lained Avatar

Always assumed it had but I've not done enough adventuring to confirm.

17. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I hope this thread helps players find things in the future.

I found my missing polearms (and all my darkstar gear and deco, lol), I had it in a small container that was shoved behind silly things and I found it inadvertently this afternoon. Hooray. Thanks for your positive energies everyone, perhaps you directed me right to it :).

18. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

I noticed in the magic mover/property manager system it shows an inventory count when you place the contents of a Lot into one of the magic mover slots. But it counts the containers as 1. I was thinking there could be a way to see an item summary of the stored Lot but if your lost item was inside of a container you wouldn't be able to see it. However for items that are somehow caught inside of walls and such, an item summary might be useful.. and perhaps a way to extract an item from the stored Lot? I'm currently missing several fyndoro tablets and trying to locate them. (found 1 of them)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  19. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Avatar

I have been missing a Royal Scepter for over a month now. But am not going to wipe out my whole crafting area to find it right now after getting it decorated real nice.

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

when i first started this game i thought i lost a beetle carapace... then later i finds it somehow it just appears back in storage

then later i lost a whole wooden barrel... somehow it got stuck through my greenhouse window near the top.. (i was decorating by stacking them in a wall formation against the side of the greenhouse) ...it was invisible for a long time then one day it just showed half sticking out the greenhouse window

good chance your missing polearm got stuck in wall too or something since you use it as deco

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.