Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Why would I buy another character slot?

Discussion in 'Release 62 Feedback' started by Barugon, Feb 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Like this.... char slot 1 has earned 100 million adventuring xp for conversation sake say he’s a swords man

Char 2 has 100 million xp - nothing spent

Char 3 has 100 million xp - nothing spent

I’ve earned the expierence already and developed char 1 already though I have not begun to develop the others yet.

I’ll need to pick a spec buy or make gear buy or find patterns. I’ll need to use the skills to develop the builds.

When all is said and done I’ll have this:

1. Swordman build
    2. Fire mage build
    3. Tamer build

Someday they will add new tress, I’ll buy a 4th slot and begin another build out.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    FrostII likes this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The request is to share the experience pool, not experienced that has already been pumped into skills.

Jaesun and FrostII like this.
  3. Floors

Floors Avatar

So how would obsidian item of unlearning work, since it would dump into shared pool ?

This whole idea is a bad one. I’m enjoying relevelling a second character and I dont like how many things are shared.

It all stems from bad design idea of the character is you....Richard needs to drop this

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

That's really the whole point. There are a number of people who have put a lot into enchanting/masterworking (not me, however) but when crafting specialization comes online, they will only be able to have one. People who have not gone down the enc/mw path yet will simply use separate accounts for each specialization. This would at least give those people who already put a lot into enc/mw a path to move that experience to another avatar.

Vaiden Luro and FrostII like this.
  5. Floors

Floors Avatar

I’m not a crafter so I cant comment on that. I have definately noticed a trend on here of the most experienced, richest mercantile players, who sell the best items and reap the most money, much of which comes from Cotos (aka USD), asking for, and getting, increasing levels of special dispensation from the devs, and I have very mixed feelings about that and what that means for the games health in the long term.

6. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Ahhh, ok. Well that sucks, that is actually detrimental to me ever putting a toon on the same account as hes already at a loss as all the first time crafts are already done.

FrostII and Barugon like this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

People are making bank by selling crafted goods? Umm... okay. o_O

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  8. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well its definately not you Barugon :)

Besides... is that what I said ? Please re read.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  9. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I have many members in Tortoise Clan (my alt char slots)

We split crafting duties. One character does all the gathering and 2 crafting skills, one avatar does 3-4 diff crafting skills and a third does 3-4 diff crafting skills. Its a nice spread.

Once fun side effect of this is I am learning the beginning of the game all over again. Black Tortoise has been around since persistence, so its been years since I have experienced low level content. My adv level 45-55 alts can check out all the new tier 2-4 scenes. I thought I had seen it all until tonight I discovered South Boundless Forest - holy crap is this scene cool! So glad I have a level 45 to check this out with.

The main reason I have alts: more cool outfits to design and wear :)

Sole, FrostII, Brass Knuckles and 2 others like this.
  10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Like what, exactly ?? :confused:

11. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

One of the unique things and a concept I love about Sota is the player as the character, the Avatar as you.

I find it strangely worrying, hence why I write, that two players who evidently love the game as they have stuck with it for years, have diametrically opposite views on one of, if not the, central premise of SOTA.

In my view without You as the Avatar, SOTA becomes an MMO just like every other MMO. One where I have a cabinet full of builds and eventually, when I log in and dwell over which one to play, with little emotional investment in any, or at least dissipated across them all, I log out again and go play something else... currently usually SOTA.

12. Floors

Floors Avatar

One of the things keeping me playing is the interest of having multiple characters tho. Its more interesting. And Sota is just an MMO. One I enjoy, granted.

13. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

Personally i do not like to share XP between chars. Especially if it is "forced". (means always shared)

For a XP transfer there are two and more flexible ways, as you can share XP with everyone you want.
    First:
    One is able to drag the XP pool from the skill window to its inventory and is then asked how much XP should be transferred to the inventory up to a max. may 200k. This generates a XP item similar to gold (the currency). Depending from which pool it is dragged it is either adventuring XP or producer XP. The amount of XP is removed from the pool, of course. The XP item then can be stored in a container for others to pick up. With gold this is already possible. When a gold item is dragged into the inventory it will be consumed and the gold added to the char. The same can be done with XP.

Second:
    Two alchemy recipes, one for adventuring the other for producer XP. This will always generate a (e.g) 100k XP item or XP scroll. May, scrolls can be "stacked", means the XP from one scroll is added to the other one and result in a scroll with more XP. A XP potion may also be good, can be poured into a potion keg. A keg may accept up to 10 potions, this ends up in 1kk XP if the keg is consumed (and may some illness (30 sec stun)).
    The XP is removed from the pool on successfully create the item.

Both options allow to give XP to everyone and also to use XP (and gold) as quest reward for player driven quests.
    I think a cap should be set how much XP can be transferred into such items per release. May 3 million XP per release (online mode). XP used by the chars of the same account does not count toward this limit.

xadoor and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  14. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I know I said I was done but had another question about all this?

Once the pool is shared and I create a new Char but instead of being a Ranger I want to be just an bad boy Necromancer, Will I have to train all the skill?

Or will I just get a slider or be allowed to pick a the skill level as long as I have the prerequ. and xp. for that skill? I mean since you are taking out all the work to get the exp why not eliminate the need to train desired skills?

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Seriously?
    So, you are expecting free experience and a slider to set your skills. You should sometime try putting your energy something productive rather than making up stuff to complain about.

16. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I don't think shared XP would be all that detrimental.
    You still have to earn it/grind it but it would make the creation of an alternative character on the same account a bit less tedious if that's what you wanted to do. I think most people would not even bother with this: even if this feature was implemented, its far easier to make an alt on a (separate) account and simply drag it around with you, that alt also gets all the first time craft XPs, separate virtue, separate quest completions (free deeds, duplicates of all the cool quest deco, banners, etc.)

I can't think of any reason why I'd want to make an alt on the same account as my main.
    Especially since a new account is free to boot!

17. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well, if because of other players you guys want to upgrade the alt accounts off main accounts to have the full XP. then I guess I'll just fill out the slots with a few bad ass characters of different builds and call it a day.

I certainly don't have time to be opening and managing multiple accounts, so doing this will probably bring my cash store expenditures to a stop as they'll all have Trady's experience and be at at end game more or less.

18. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

There is one more benefit: you only have to create one SotA account and don't need to keep track of another e-mail address. You might not think two is so bad, but I have four (which I do with two addresses on each of two aliased domains that forward to my main user ID on my own mail server), and some old backers must have at least a dozen. Sure, it may be easy enough to create a random gmail address, but it's the keeping track of them that gets tedious.

Alley Oop likes this.
  19. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I can understand that it would be a bit of a problem, having administrate multiple online free email address services. Then again myself, luckily multiple email addresses on multiple different self owned domains. I run my own mail server so I I have unlimited email aliases, and or accounts through postfix.

20. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

If exp is shared, how would you allocate the exp? Let's say I have 100 million on my main char, would I then be able to move 10 million to another char on the same account leaving 90 million on my main char?

FrostII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.