My New Collection Quest...Crown Store Buffs!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bayard, Feb 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tabatha

Tabatha Avatar

The pay to win ship has arrived at the docks. I wonder what else is in *store* for us. =/

Gloop and Cordelayne like this.
  2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

The intention was to get people to open the Crown Shop.

Thus, the buffs should have come from opening the shop, not using it.

Would have avoided a medium-low quantity of unnecessary drama.

K1000, Dhanas, kaeshiva and 7 others like this.
  3. Tabatha

Tabatha Avatar

Now that is a good idea. Everyone gets a buff as a celebration of the store, which at the same time advertises the store for them. BAM.

Dhanas, kaeshiva, Gloop and 1 other person like this.
  4. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

Was it? I look forward to Port quickly not making a purchase required then. And removing the random buff aspect.

I wish I could share your optimism, but the way it was implemented last week had an awful lot of thought put into to it to encourage multiple small purchases. Now would be a great time for Port to make a clarification and fix if the intent really is what you say.

edit: just mentioned on Massively OP, including this very thread. Might want to get on clarifying this one sooner rather than later (and yes, I did refer this to that site, as I actually would like official clarification - and it seems players just asking in the forums doesn't merit many responses these days from the devs) -

https://massivelyop.com/2019/02/11/...p-is-now-dispensing-buffs-when-you-buy-stuff/

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Well, it was the way Chris originally worded it on the livestreams. Basically "no one knows it's there so we'll give a buff to encourage open it up". Something like that.

Anyway, when they remove them I really hope that MOP carries that as a story too.

6. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

Or they could clarify the topic now and let MOP know so they could update the story. I would prefer not to just wait and hope in the dark for two months or more.

The way it is set up now does not align with just getting people to try out the store, in my opinion. Doesn't matter what Chris blurted out on a livestream, the current implementation raises concerning questions.

7. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

You can RMT someone to level up your character, buy armor, and gold. The only difference is Port is getting a slice on this one.

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I hope this very P2W looking mechanism goes away soon.

9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Yeah after all this time managing to avoid it, it was kind of a PR shooting onesself in the foot move.

Gloop and Cordelayne like this.
  10. Floors

Floors Avatar

Sure, random taming and +10 magic buffs are ptw !! but go ahead and buy all your warlock chains and player made armor with crowns in game.... No “PTW” there ! lol. should we ban crowns altogether ? how popular would that be.

And oh, look, massivelyOP is negative ! in before thread lock.

Mishras likes this.
  11. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I think port will see all this bitching in this thread and strip it out (the buff you get from the crown store).

Vladamir Begemot and Cordelayne like this.
  12. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

Hope so, but honestly how could they think this was a good idea? Lol

13. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

Two options -

1) The person that implemented this (@Chris) is just simply taking on too much out of necessity (lead designer, programmer, temp CS, Shipping, store design, servers, and on and on). Thus this buff thing just wasn’t thought out at all like it should because he is doing too much, and too many things not in his true area of expertise.

I hope it is scenario 1, because they could just take it out and have learned from rushing things out. Because the alternative is -

2) Port thinks this is a actually good idea and they are actively testing selling combat buffs for money. And may be doing so because they feel they are out of other viable revenue streams, so why not give p2w a whirl? Yuck.

If we never get an update from the devs, you can probably guess the higher numbered option is the correct one.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  14. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I agree that just opening the store isn't paying for anything and that would have been cool. But adding dissent over Pay2Win is not unnecessary. That is, unless, you want that type of thing to become the norm. Maybe people here are not aware of how much the gaming community out there HATES pay to win? Perhaps they aren't aware that the housing price tags in the store are a major turn-off to the gaming community at large. Then we are going to throw in free combat buffs for purchases? Seriously?

We are trying to get new players, yes? Paying for buffs is not the way to do it. Perhaps it's temporary. If it is, fine, but it's a terrible message to send.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    K1000, Cordelayne, Dhanas and 3 others like this.
  15. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

Three things to think about and then I'll go back to my basement laboratory:

1. Is it still P2W if I got a COTO from mob loot and used that to buy an item to get my buff?

2. If we are upset about this, shouldn't we also be upset about the Player P2W Marketplace here on the forums?

3. I think the RMT ship sailed long ago and we are on the docks shaking our fists at the horizon.

Elwyn and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  16. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Yes. Because no one is looting enough cotos to matter. If that changes, we can revisit. How about we just not have "buffs" and "store" in the same sentence at all?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    yinki2 likes this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The problem with it is that this is the way P2W stuff creeps in. We say "oh, it's ok" and then the next thing is a little more P2W. We need to stay vigilant and make sure that this stuff stays completely out of the game (just like we should stay vigilant and make sure our elected government officials are decent and qualified).

18. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

This should be removed from the crown store and turned into a gold sink in my opinion.

If you give the oracle a certain amount of gold she could give you one of the random buffs.

And make it so the first time you open the crown store menu, it explains how the gold sink works and gives you one of the random buffs.

No purchase necessary!

19. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Because that's the law!

;-)

Adam Crow and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  20. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

The Drop rate from what I remember is based on how many existing Crowns are in the game circulating. This was mentioned I long time ago in a twitch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.