Miners think ore spawn is too slow but still hate meticulous??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arkah EMPstrike, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Mining a node get's you some amount of ore and other materials. Then once the action is done there is a check for meticulous. If meticulous then the node stays and can be mined again. If not meticulous then the node is destroyed and relegated to the respawn timers.

This method treats meticulous and your skill to mine it without destroying it. At some point it will get destroyed. Maybe the node has a "how many times mined counter" that when it gets to 2 or something it is destroyed regardless of you meticulous skill.

NOTE: That was a total off the cuff thought. Beat the crap out of it or praise it, I really haven't taken any time to think it through.

Rowell, Mishras, Rat2 and 7 others like this.
  2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

This seems like a very simple and very good way to fix the problem. I'm all for it.

Adam Crow likes this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Works for me.

4. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

what about skinning? what about skinning a dragon?

5. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I can see the issue with dragonskinning. But just cap that at 1x as per macnlos suggestion - make it unmeticable Sorted.
    Or even just make it not applicable to dead creatures entirely...who levels meticulous skinning anyway? ;)

FrostII likes this.
  6. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

Should it not just do what it says on its description? Ie not consume the node. That would fix the problems completely

Jason_M likes this.
  7. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

That is exactly what @macnlos suggested.

It would fix it completely for mining, hell, everything but field dressing, as there are also special items to be had from at least gathering cotton and wood. There is extra material to gain from field dressing as well, but that gets a little crazy if you can get multiple carcasses, heads, etc., unless you manage to code in a "max collection per node" value per item type, rather than coding it into the node itself.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Nevyn Waldail likes this.
  8. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

Sorry misread it.

Lord Tachys al`Fahn likes this.
  9. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

No worries! ;)

10. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

we need yet another mining artifact, ring/belt/whatever of the impatinet miner, +20% mining speed, -10% meticulous, then everyone is happy

Mishras and Elwyn like this.
  11. Randbo

Randbo Avatar

whats really wrong is how they nerfed the mines to get those botters. SCREW the botters. you hurt the rest of us.
    in adventure, you can gain 1mil xp in 25 minutes.
    in mining, you have to work fast and get lucky to get 140k xp in one hour. used to get 185k per hour in elysium
    the 140k is 1/7th xp per hour than adventure and the skills cost the SAME.
    that has always been unfair to crafters
    i see three things to make crafting fair:
    1. DOUBLE all gathering xp AGAIN to 2k per node in tier 5 zones. (double across the board)
    2. all meticulous rounds get HALF AGAIN xp. in this case 1k more. each one gets it.
    3. REMOVE the stupid mine nerf and allow the nodes to respawn much much faster so that we never outrun the spawn. TO HELL WITH THE BOTS.
    you dont SCREW your whole player base just to get one botter.

do all 3 and we may get to 350k xp per hour. thats fair enough. adding xp to met will let us do met again.

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

LOL, yeah, so you can quickly burn through all the nodes and then stand around waiting for them to spawn again.

Elwyn likes this.
  13. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Hey @Randbo I hear you on the botters.

Their latest effort hasn't worked too well, though, as far as the dozens and dozens of translucent skeletons littering the Crag Mines seems to indicate.

14. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Another super easy way meticulous could be improved would be to make it work the same way that efficient refining does, where some percentage of the time you just get an extra of the base resource with no additional waiting. Then it would always be guaranteed to be beneficial, even if not always significant.

kaeshiva likes this.
  15. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Disclaimer : Not a miner, so have not tested this.

On the point of out mining a mine. With teleport to zone scroll, do you not just make your mining circuit be 2 mines rather than one?

16. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yes, please!

Have to agree with this....this isn't the first time or the first area where normal gameplay has suffered because of some misguided attempt to stop botting.

If botting is that much of an issue, I suggest instead of spending time breaking/nerfing systems to frustrate bots while also screwing the rest of us, that more time/effort be spent in bot detection and ban. Active players are tired of never having nice things "because bots." More frustrating when you report an obvious botter and see nothing happen.

If botters are "that big of an issue" then put resources on stamping it out, There are ways to do it that would inconvenience the rest of us without downright obliterating some systems of gameplay from being lucrative. I'm sorry but our active playing population is NOT that big. And I fail to see how the current respawn nerf is affecting them at all? An automated bot doesn't mind if it has to wait 10 mins for respawns. It doesn't get bored and go play something else.

Ironically, this "fix" is actually encouraging mining to be a half-idle gameplay, go whack nodes then watch TV or something. Kinda like refining. You don't wanna know how many tv series I've managed to finish watching while doing boring half-idle crap in Sota. This is not engaging gameplay. I've said before that any system which encourages players to TAB OUT OF THE GAME AND NOT PLAY IT due to arbitrary/pointless/boring forced waiting periods is a BAD SYSTEM. If we're gonna have to sit there and wait, then put a smelting bench or something at least..I'll still tab out ,but at least I'll be saving myself some time later.

If there are systems in place in the game that are so bad, so tedious, that players are resorting to botting, then consider addressing those systems. Like the system mining supports, ie crafting . If you didnt waste thousands of ore on a pointless RNG system, then there'd be less appeal/reason for people to bot mining. When I tell a player who comes for a crafting consult that they're going to need several thousand ore to get a reasonably decent set due to the probabilities, 1 in 10 goes and mines it, a couple go buy it, and the rest either settle for mediocrity or go play another game and are never seen again. If we can't detect bots, consider adjusting the outputs so that the economy doesn't blatantly favor and support bots. If people are botting for RMT purposes then make it unprofitable to do so.

I know detection is an issue - bots practically have AI these days. But lets face it, if a bot can pass the turing test, there's probably nothing you're going to be able to do about it. Sp either adjust the outputs (make botting not appealing) or add something to mining that will befuddle a clever bot. Making everything more annoying for your legit playerbase is not the answer.

Osiris3, Shade Cido and Jason_M like this.
  17. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

In fact, that might be the easiest solution now that I think of it. Smelting bench at front of mines, complete a circuit, smelt a batch, and when you're done, whole place should be full again.
    At least until the deeper problems can be addressed.

Jaesun and Alley Oop like this.
  18. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

If all this is to slow down / stop botters. Here's a thought.

Ban the botters :D

If someone is making a killing in ore. Why not talk to them and see how they respond.

Maybe teleport them to a room with a Dev holding a cat of nine tails to flog them :D

Osiris3, Xee, Jaesun and 1 other person like this.
  19. jmcclain

jmcclain Avatar

Here is the real fix. Fix the crafting of the actual items so you don't need 1000000 ore to make the 1 item you want. As it is right now you need a ton of mats to make then enchant and master work the item to get the 1 item with the stats you want. Its insane how many times you fail with a 95% success chance its actually broken.

Rowell and kaeshiva like this.
  20. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

Your incorrect.

As an example when I used to mine ore back before they made the change in spectral mines, I used to get over 240 ore per hour and at least 160k experience in producer pool. Since the change I am now down to 160 ore and 90k or so in experience in an hour. When they changed the mines from individual spawn rates on nodes to a global respawn on nodes this changed both the amount of ore you can get AND the amount of producer pool experience which sucks... I have to now wait 9 minutes between each cycle because I can go through and mine the entire floor and yes that is even waiting for the meticiulous to do its thing.

Mishras, kaeshiva, Jaesun and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.