My New Collection Quest...Crown Store Buffs!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bayard, Feb 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

We've had a long marriage Shroud, but daddy wants a younger version of you and this is a good reason to get a divorce.

Cordelayne likes this.
  2. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Do you have a source for that? Because I'm sure that it is a game-wide limit to number of cotos dropped per time period (like for example 10 per hour), with the limit dependent upon the prices cotos are being bought at from player vendors, adjusted regularly, possibly even manually by Chris looking at the economic logs. That's prices of actual sales, not asking prices, not total number in existence. I know I've heard Chris talking about constantly watching the in-game coto sell prices.

As to why most people don't see them, my theory is that the high-level areas get a lot more chances, so they end up with almost all of them. The 1:100 split may make it possible to see at least a few drop in lower level areas.

3. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I do not have the source, thought it was talked about in live stream with Chris.

4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Maybe it needs to be talked about again in a stream. It should only take a few minutes.

5. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Guys, as we have called out very clearly, these will go away after next release or possibly before that. Surely though you all understand why we did this. We are removing what has been our ONLY source of revenue for the last 5 years, the cash shop. So yeah, we're a little nervous and wanted to make damn sure people were familiar with the crown store. So yeah, we felt a temporary bribe was necessary to make sure this went smoothly.

REPEAT for those saying "This is how P2W starts..." We very clearly and repeatedly announced this was a temporary thing purely to make sure players moved from the cash shop to the in game crown shop.

Grimace2, Xee, Mac2 and 12 others like this.
  6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

FFS go and try to enjoy your time off.

Xee, Jaesun, Vladamir Begemot and 2 others like this.
  7. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Anyone have a list of the buffs they've seen yet? I should probably get a page for them on SotAwiki before they go away.

Thanks!

Alley Oop likes this.
  8. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

@Chris Thank you for the clarity now.

A tip of the day for you - adding a dose of snide ness with your post is not needed or wanted (well, I know a few players here like that time; most don’t though). Your customers determine if your communication was clear on this, and for some us it wasn’t. No where did it say temporary or going away, the wording of this “clear” communication was -

Speaking of the Crown Store, to encourage players to find the Crown Store button we have added a buff! Players will get a small one-day long buff with any purchase from the Crown Store. The buff strength is the same whether you spend 1 crown or 1000. You can have up to three buffs at once and there are currently 22 variations. These buffs will remain in place for at least two months / Releases but possibly longer to help players with the transition to an in-game store.

“At least two months and possibly longer”. A whole family of weasel words in that sentence, so please don’t tell us that was clear and then act snide about it.

Let us know if you want any volunteers to help draft communications or put them in dev+ until a new community person is hired. I’ll start - you could have just said this instead of grumpy early morning posts-

“We apologize if the wording about the new buffs related to the launch of the crown store was causing confusion. Our intent has never been to keep them permanently. These buffs will be going away as of Release XX/end date. Thank you again for trying out our new in game crown store!”

I know it is tough being the recipient of a lot of crap on forums and whatnot, but that is part of the gig. You do this game no favors dishing out pithy remarks back; be professional in the face of questions/criticism and it may benefit the game more.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  9. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Tbh I don’t really think it will be much of a draw. I’m not going to buy something with cotos just at a random chance at a buff that’s not even useful besides we have sooooo many buffs as it is. I don’t even know why anyone is getting worked up over this.

Where is my pot tf town to pot water tf town upgrade. I’d pay for that! And does Not violate the npc tf deed founder promis y’all made since pots were not even a concept idea.

Where are my in store mob spawners and rare rooms? I’d pay for that!

Where are my navigable boats in the store? I’d pay for that!

Where’s my new sun and moon spell? I’d pay for that at this point!!

Tailz likes this.
  10. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

How about doing what some other games do and place a once only free to claim item in the crown store so that people get familiar with it? Or even a quest at the end of the tutorial where players are given a crown and have to buy some cheap novelty item to complete the quest. There are many better ways to familiarise the playerbase with the crown store rather than this temp method that was implemented.

Katu and Brass Knuckles like this.
  11. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

@DarkStarr, would you please:

- Thank everyone for their feedback,
    - Consider the strong reactions that this is provoking in a certain segment of users and, most important of all,
    - Lock this thread as the conversation is running in circles?

Thank you in advance.

Gix, macnlos, Katu and 3 others like this.
  12. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Avatar

How about if you log into your account and visit the store, there's a button there for you to claim 1 un-tradeable crown a week?

That way people can get a crown to spend, find where to spend it, and if they like what they see, be inclined to buy more.

That should get people on the page.

Just an idea.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Cyin likes this.
  13. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

As far as I can tell, there is an attunment and resistance for each magic, str int and dex and taming buffs. So that would be 22 right there.

Alley Oop likes this.
  14. Asari

Asari Avatar

ah yeah the now standard f-u answer which makes me as paying customer feel valued and appreciated.

15. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Thats... really not a bad idea. I'd say wait until after the conversion, and then give 10 crowns per visit ($0.10), or even 1 per day. That is literally pennies, but will drive visits, thus sales.

Paulie Walnuts likes this.
  16. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

maybe with Xp form oracle a coto per day :)0

17. Katu

Katu Avatar

It's quite typical for f2p games to offer their premium currency ( tiny amounts, but every month you could get something with that) after logging in every day for a week.
    Even if player never buys anything, keeping him playing, fills the world.

18. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

mind I guess that is why they have a subscription , you get 9 cotos a month along with all the stretch rewards :)

19. Katu

Katu Avatar

Yeah, but you pay for it every month.

Example, PC game Smite. Its free to play. If you login 7 days a row, on sixth day you get 15 gems and on seventh day 35. Thats 50 gems ( the chosen name for their currency), every week you login.
    You get more, if you win atleast 1 match each day. With 200 gems, you can buy new skins or voicepack for character.

That is some fine f2p design. There are skins, that cost more and once they have you hooked on "lower tier skins", they hope you go for the cooler ones. I did, i have spend more on those skins, than to this game.
    There's nothing for me to buy here ( I'm not into house owning/ decoration).

20. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I agree on this, makes sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.