Growing more types of flowers

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by redfish, Feb 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

It would actually be a fun thing to eventually be able to open a florists shop in game... Not an urgent feature but I think the concept of being able to do specialized shops like that makes the market more interesting.

Right now, we can grow roses, but there are flowers for other occasions !

There's of course a long list of potential flowers you can include, but there are a few important ones. I'm going to list some off the top of my head, and try to include more "distinctive" ones that would feel less like they're duplicating the look of other flowers. So, for instance, in addition to roses, you could include things like peonies and camelias and gladiolas, etc, and those are all great but, personal taste aside, its kind of redundant to diversifying the flowers available in the game.

White lily - (ie Madonna lilies) For funerals and weddings. This is maybe the most useful "occasion" flower second to the rose. Other colors of lilies can also exist, of course; yellow, red, blue, etc.
    Calla lily - Similar purpose, though less of a rich history w/ symbolism.
    Tulip - Can be used also for romantic purposes.
    Sunflower - Already exists in the game as models. Can be processed for the sunflower seeds, which can also be used for oil.
    Flax - Already exists in the game as models (see in Owl's Head), can be processed for the flax fibers to make linen in the crafting system.
    Hellebore - This would be cool to have in the game just because the root of the plant has been used for magic historically, and is evocative of that, easily captures the imagination as a reagent.
    Iris - A distinctive flower, whose root, called "orris root" has also been used for magic.
    Daffodil - Another distinctive flower.
    Daisy - Another distinctive flower.
    Lupin - Because of Monty Python, of course! Also distinctive, though similar in concept to other flowers like snapdragons, foxgloves, hyacinths.
    Delphinium - Distinctive flower, grows like lupin but then is pruned for bouquets.
    Gladiola - Also used for bouquets.
    Carnation - Distinctive flower.
    Poppy - Distinctive, symbolic, and useful for reagents. :D The anemone is a similar type flower.
    Chamomile - Distinctive, and for tea. Also similar is feverfew.
    Jasmine - Distinctive, and for tea.
    Chrysanthemum- Also dried for tea.
    Lavender - Useful herb.
    Indigo - Can be processed into dye.
    Orchid - There could be rare orchid spawns in swamps; the root, also known salep root, was used for magic and also making flour.

Picking wildflowers from forests would also be cool, even if we can't grow them.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  2. Minerva

Minerva Avatar

I completely agree with @redfish We need some more color and texture :)

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Alley Oop

Yes, I forgot about that.. orchids. And salep root was also used as a magic reagent historically. Finding rare orchid spawns in swamps could be an interesting part of the harvesting part of agriculture in the game.

Will add to the OP.

5. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I would love more flowers. But I would love it even more if we could plant the ones we have in the ground instead of in planters.

6. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yes this, or at the least, perhaps smaller, flatter planters for purely aesthetic plants, like a wall/window mounted mini flowerbed, or some ROUND planters...;)

7. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I guess it would be good to have a working "snap to grid" mechanic. Than they could create planting beds object with a texture that looks like simply some dirt with a height of just some centimeter. One stack of dirt is forming a round spot on the ground suppressing the standard grass and small irregularities. Dumping down another stack of dirt next to it they connect and a small line is created. Connecting some more and they create a field like we can see them in some of the NPC-towns.

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

A ground-level planter that's not elevated would be nice, even if it did still have the planting border around it to make it visible. For instance, if I wanted to use trees or plants that are growable, but for decoration, having to use raised planters is inaesthetic; you want to at least do something at ground level.

Honestly though, it would be nice in deco mode to be able to place some things invisibly, like res ankhs, POT music boxes, etc., so some bounding box UI that let you deal with placeables that are hard to see makes sense. Don't we have lawnmower tiles yet? I haven't touched POT deco since pre-persistence.

Also, planters that hang outside windows, etc...

9. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

It would be nice to be able to grow pecan trees too :)

Mal Hari and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  10. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I would just like to be able to place planters and flower pots as POT deco! Even if it's all roses to start with. I know, I know...another POT owner asking for a "gimme". LOL. Gimmegimmegimme MOAR :p

Just dreaming out loud folks.

Yes to a wider variety of flowers. I do LOVE the flowers in Xenos :)

11. Floors

Floors Avatar

Another reason to go into towns.

Alleine Dragonfyre and Mal Hari like this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

Two more...

Sweet pea - Not the same as edible peas, and valued more for their flowers often used in bouquets, but perhaps the two can be the same in the game. The flowers are nice looking, too, and unique.
    Mallow - Where marsmallows come from.

Just a thought -- spring is coming up ;D

13. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

"Planter Rugs". Rugs are already in game, they only need to look like soil and be useable as planter. Rugs are already flat. They can have the same sizes: 1, 4, 10, 20. It is also ok, if this is a pattern for the existing planting beds. (less work for the devs?)

It would be nice when someone can gather a seed from flowers already in game and use this seed to grow the plant. When harvest the may give 1-4 seeds, so that one has a chance to grow more flowers/plants or sell the seeds on a vendor.
    To gather the first seed its might be an idea to went into a town or adventure scene that have the wanted flower and when in luck one of them shows the sickle and can be harvest. Like drops with some rarity. (I don't now if spawners can placed randomly within an area)

I think it is more fun to "hunt" the seed of a flower one want to have and grow it by your self.

And yes, a small planter for the windows would be nice. (window box?). The plants/flowers grown in such planters are smaller then normal, and may do not yield fruits.

+1 for sunflowers

14. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Oh I LOVE sweetpeas and grow them every year. Sweetpea plus fragrant honeysuckle plus hardy jasmine are all staples in our garden, which happens to be called Moonglow! <3

[​IMG]

15. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Here here! Grandmaster of agriculture to be a skill that determines particularly nice blooms ;)

We need more flowers, Id love to have a flower shop.

majoria70 and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.