1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

Piles of Treasure Decorations!

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by Scottie, Feb 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

Right, although collision couldn't be gigantic for a tiny pile... That would get annoying quickly, like invisible barriers.. Primarily the use would be for adventuring scenarios, which would mean that whatever pile you find would be the largest there would be in that spot... You could find a large pile of gold, take gold from it, but not be able to add gold to it (it would be different from an actual "container" in this way)... The piles would only diminish when you found them in an adventure scene, and would maintain the collision they have for their appropriate size...

If they were done as player decorations that contained actual gold (again, maybe some day), I'm betting the way they'd want to go is, you could place new piles of various sizes down, but that would be as big as that particular pile would ever be (but not as small as it could ever get, all the way down to "gone")... You might be able to place coins in it, but no more than the "maximum' allowed for that pile... You could then diminish the pile by taking gold coins out (past their minimum before going down to the next size), but to achieve a larger pile again, you'd need to diminish the piles to zero until they went away, then place a new pile of the size you now want there instead (based on the existing placement limitations and the extents of the pile's collision shape)...

Bowen Bloodgood and Sarek like this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Doing the same thing with "treasure chests" might also be nice. Have a chest first open and appear to be full of glittering stuff, until players start taking things out.

Jaesun, CatherineRose and Scottie like this.
  3. Scottie

Maybe, at some point, they'll have me make other Treasure Pile item variations! If these end up being popular, I'm sure they'll consider it! ^_^

4. Scottie

This was actually debated at one point! Interesting that you should mention that! Way back then, the art director made the decision, along with other management, not to have "fake treasure" be visible inside the usable chests, because that would have required us to have different versions of "chest with stuff in them" to indicate the general nature of the contents... They figured that would be too much work, since chests can be full of all kinds of "non-treasure" stuff as well...

You know how those kinds of decisions go! ^_^

Cordelayne, Jaesun, Barugon and 3 others like this.
  5. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

Why not a restricted container, that only accept treasure, like gold coins, cotos, gems, etc. The pile sizes represent the container limit (10,25,50 items or so). Without any transition, that shows the "fill state".
    Automated Wax Cylinders are also restricted: Either accept upto 8 or upto 16 wax cylinders. Nothing else.

Scottie and CatherineRose like this.
  6. Scottie

Yes, I agree about the concept of potential "content restrictions", when it comes to certain kinds of containers... After all, if the treasure piles themselves are assumed to contain things that have "gold value", then I'd want to make sure that (for both the "adventure" versions and the "home deco" versions, eventually) only "gold value" can be taken out of them or placed into them... Essentially, when it comes to treasure piles (if this ever gets implemented), you would be taking (or potentially putting in) "X-gold" amount of treasure... The actual objects poking out of the "treasure" piles (as opposed to the gold-only piles), is nothing more than "eye-candy" and won't represent any real-world items... Only "gold value" goes in or out of those piles...

For now, though,...of course... none of this functionality has been assigned yet as tasks... So for the foreseeable future these will remain merely decorations... But at least they're pretty in the meantime! ^_^

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  7. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

ETA: I think this new deco is awesome, and Scottie is awesome for both making it and sharing it in this way.

Here's a (probably silly) idea: Make them craftable requiring all the gold and gems and precious ingots visible in the model.... and make them salvagable to recover the ingredients.

It might not be a useful currency, but, with the way COTOs are inflating, people could literally ask for "big-arse pile of treasure" :eek::D:p

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    Scottie likes this.
  8. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

hey @Scottie - maybe we can get some diving boards as a monthly stretch goal? :)
    [​IMG]

9. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

Now, I need a bed of gold and hot tub filled with gold. It never ends, @Scottie !!! Maybe a dungeon koi pond but instead of water and lily pads, it's filled with gold.

You rock!

Scottie and Boris Mondragon like this.
  10. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

Thank you for these - a must have. Hope to see a recipe to create these to give the actual pile some "weight". Nice treasure barn btw!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    Scottie likes this.
  11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

@Scottie when will they go online ^^?

Scottie likes this.
  12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

They're supposed to be in today's patch

13. Scottie

Oh good! I wasn't sure myself! Thanks Barugon!

Scottie ^_^

14. Scottie

Glad you like them! I don't really get to say how they get dealt with after I make them, or how they are offered to the players, but hopefully the folks that do will be checking out this post and considering your suggestions! It's a fun idea! ^_^

Jason_M likes this.
  15. redfish

redfish Avatar

Golden tub with gold in it.

Scottie likes this.
  16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

And one without..

Scottie likes this.
  17. Scottie

Ha ha !!! You guys just like the idea of bathing in golden tubs! ^_^ I can't say that I blame you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.