can you believe this PC Games article about Shroud?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Asari, Feb 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oplek

oplek Avatar

Stardew Valley was released around the same time as SOTA's persistence. It's not a new game, but has a current average concurrent players of about 13,000 (that's just on Steam). Forced multiplayer is not a necessity for a game to be successful.

2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I think one of the biggest problem with the game is people who can't seem to have fun without ruining someone else's. I think the devs have done reasonably well at trying to establish a middle ground, especially considering some players' attitudes.

I absolutely want what's best for the game, we just differ on what we think 'best' is.

Cyin, Astirian, Cordelayne and 3 others like this.
  3. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

It is the best. That is a mighty fine OPINION you have there. How is Forced Multiplayer the best thing? Can you break that down for me? I can't even do a quest now because all these people want to be rude and camp a troll encounter because of a stupid worthless ring. But your right forcing me to not be able to complete a quest was a FANTASTIC idea. But obviously you know exactly what this game needs? why are you not a developer? Why do you not have your own game? you seem to have all the answers and know what this game needs to be the best mmo out there.

4. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Well.. I'm going to offer the author a free room in my basement Inn when he's ready to look/play the game. After all the lots have been taken up by the hundreds of new & active players. It's on the house :)

5. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

"Richard Garriott resigned his post as CEO of the Game Studio in October 2018"

This is disturbing, as Shroud WAS RG's Project, His Baby, His Vision & these days, he seems to contribute very little to the Game at all.
    It sorta feels to Me (IMHO) that RG was living in past (20 years ago) & in his Mind, he thought, that a Game with his Name attached, would garner the same Meteoric SUCCESS that ULTIMA GAMES/UO had, back in the day....
    RG was & is still a Dreamer.... Floating on the Coat-tails of His Last Successes (Which made him Very Wealthy in RL, back in the Day)

OK... So the answer about RG resigning as CEO was this...

I repeat, (from above)
    This is disturbing, as Shroud WAS RG's Project, His Baby, His Vision & these days, he seems to contribute very little to the Game at all.
    It sorta feels to Me (IMHO) that RG was living in past (20 years ago) & in his Mind, he thought, that a Game with his Name attached, would garner the same Meteoric SUCCESS that ULTIMA GAMES/UO had, back in the day....
    RG was & is still a Dreamer.... Floating on the Coat-tails of His Last Successes (Which made him Very Wealthy in RL, back in the Day)
    But This Current Dream of His, did Not Come True, so He has basically divorced himself from it :(

This game definitely NEEDS a Dedicated Community Manager who actually plays the Game WITHOUT GOD-MODE,
    So they can convey the fundamental playability issues back to the Dev Team
    (Who, don't get Me wrong, are definitely pedaling as hard as they can to Drive the Game Forward. The Team have made amazing progress towards QOL issues in recent Months... Especially from the viewpoint of New Players.)
    BUT the Dev Team often aren't grasping the gripes/feedback that Veteran/Experienced Players have presented to them, as they DO NOT PLAY, so they don't get it....
    e.g. AGRICULTURE = Make it a profitable pursuit, for those of us who don't want to go out & Grind the Game for XP/Skills & the Odd Artifact here & There.
    (Not all of us care about having 200 GM's or Rinsing & Repeating to snag the elusive Spider-Belt or the New BMC Ring)

Playability/Gameplay is MORE than just Metrics & Balance.... (Sorry @Chris )
    Playability/Gameplay is about how the "Average Joe, who log in & actually PLAYS THE GAME", feels about what they experience when they Log-In to Play!

Well Said...

I agree...
    The Devs you mention above, plus the rest of the currently active Team, are seriously working as hard as they can to make this Game the success it truly should be! (Minus Richard Garriott... who has divorced Himself from Shroud ostensibly)
    Even though, I have backed away & am not playing very much, I DO check in to keep abreast of what is going on & on the whole, I do not fault the Current Hard-working Team at all!

Even though I have been taking a break from the Game in recent Months,
    I still check the Forums Daily & support it financially, with the Hope, that eventually Shroud will succeed, prosper & grow ...
    & become the Amazing Sandbox Game that it could/should be for all of us Backers < even Us backers who only have supported the Game by becoming "Rewards Program" Supporters or simply buying "Vanity Items" from the Store to show our support.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Amelli and Cordelayne like this.
  6. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Yes, the story IS good. Unfortunately there are a few "basic" disturbing/distracting technical things, which prevents to enjoy it as it deserves it.
    And especially if you follow the game not frequently it is hard to enjoy.
    [Wrote alot of threads about, don't want to bother again ;)]

I am very hopeful about the Episode 2 UI relaunch, so the story presentation will be more in focus and "technical" information will be (auto)toggled away while story happens :)

I don't think its good to ignore anything.
    Every response helps to improve something.

If we do it that way, all negativity will dissolve into pleasure ...

Astirian likes this.
  7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Wonder why the game get bad press.

we’re setting level and skill caps in sieges to 80 and 100.

8. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Because it promotes in-game interactions between players.
    I dont care about guy who want to play offline game in sandbox MMO.
    Then you are definitely in a wrong guild, if my low level guildmate will say that somebody reskill him in shardfalls - hm, shardfalls will be "destroyed"
    As I know you can access what you need without coming into pvp zone, so you lie here.
    For sure better then you, kaeshiva, minerva and your other supporters in a sum. Why? I dont want to write, and you would not understand, but I think you can believe here, and
    1) Maybe you forget but you play SANDBOX MMO, COMPETITION between players it is NATURE of any MMO. He have Dolus, you have not, he want to sell it, if you not obtain the dolus, he has a higher chance to sell his. Its dirty trick - sure, but as game mechanics for sandbox, its great that he has this possibility.
    2) Lets see the logic, sieges MPO, your forum post-> 2-3 days -> they change it. Do you see anything wrong here?
    IN 2-3 DAYS ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO CHECK how many people for or against of this idea. But I will give some info to you from the largest in-game guild. Around 80% of players are against this(probably even 95%(it's in my guild but we are Russians)), I think other major stakeholders, will support me here.
    3) I get a lesson very good, next time such a BS post as you made, will be trolled, bullied, derailed and social engineered.

9. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Really? I thought this was selective multiplayer?

Uh, I made a post pointing out what I thought were problems. Some people agreed. Some didn't. As is usually the case, the devs listen to the community but ultimately make their own decision. This is not a democracy. Something I'm grateful for, considering some of stuff I've seen people come up with.

Seriously? Its a game. Making threats isn't necessary. There's discussing something civilly, and then there's having a tantrum. You had the same opportunity to participate in the community discussion of this issue. I would suggest that doing so without the hostility may yield more credence to your viewpoint.

10. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

You can ask anyone who played with or against me in a game, I`m NOT A GRIEFER, but I WILL fight for their right to grief in SANDBOX MMO.
    P.S.It was a very dirty trick implemented with your post, i will think about how you can pay for this ingame :)

11. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

He obviously is too serious and can not have fun. 100% full bore people... Its not something to do for fun... It is a one sided thing..

12. Randbo

Randbo Avatar

i have been playing nonstop since oct 2016, a few months after persistence. i looked at it at first in early 2014. having put over 5500 hours into the game, my opinion is...ITS FUN!
    what was that idiot griping about? peeps have so much expectations from a small development team. ITS A FUN GAME. i am here all the time. the quest system has some bugs, especially since its not clear sometimes what you need to do, but thats not a big thing.
    CMON GUYS, dont you enjoy playing this? forget what was promised. no game delivers on initial promises. it has evolved. that idiot DOESNT PLAY THIS GAME anymore, so WHO GIVES A **** what he thinks about it?

my only real gripe is the crafting system. xp is way too hard to get. they really should double the crafting xp gained on the gatherings.

13. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

No. That is why I stopped playing. SotA has so many different ways. It's like I'm in a room with friends and I have 20 different board games to choose from. But unfortunately, every board game is missing pieces and incomplete. < - - - That, right there, is SotA. A box of boards games and all of them have missing pieces.

14. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

You can still lie while telling the truth, if you intentionally omit other truths that you don't like.

It isn't successful, but neither has it failed. That's the sort of selective truth I was referring to.

It also lets you participate in the multi-player economy without having to deal with other people out in adventuring areas. I still think that forced multi in town areas is a good thing until the population rises to the point where town/overworld instance splits are common, then they should easily be able to turn solo everywhere back on.

You think he's new to the game? It has been pointed out in this thread that he is Lord Darkmoon, a well known curmudgeon in these forums for years. I seem to recall that he was always complaining about the offline version of the game not being up to his standards, so I don't think he'd take up your offer anyhow.

15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

And Richard Garriott did not resign his post. He stated in a livestream that they just changed titles around a bit. lol Such dramatics ;)

Astirian, Jaesun, SmokerKGB and 3 others like this.
  16. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Only player to have ever made my ignore list and it will remain there forever. I could only stand so much negativity over and over and over.

SmokerKGB and Elwyn like this.
  17. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Either way, I await a release of whatever game he's playing that meets his standards.

After all, It really must be something ;-)

Elwyn likes this.
  18. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

@kaeshiva ,two thumbs up to you...

@Spinok ,two thumbs down to you, dude...

Twice you pointed your finger at "people like you" in your opinion, so I have to comment... What are you talking about: "It's the best what happened with this game", that the critiques (like you) yelled and screamed so loud , that everyone around them thought you were right and started screaming too? I read the OPers article link and it's trash talk, has no weight with me (like steam critiques), I'm proud to say: I'm one of those "Die hard" fans that will play this game until the doors close and I WILL have fun in doing so... Whatever the 1%ers say about this game is rubbish to me, it's their "opinion" and that's all she wrote on that, you can say: "but you and people like you want to play with 2 friends in solo mode instead of real sandbox MMO" all you want and in your arrogance, it's still just "your opinion", you fail to understand the "Big Picture" that some (I would say a Majority of), prefer to play solo or with just a couple of friends...

Who are you and when do you get off the Bus, to say what is "Real" for me and mine? You are sounding more like a "scorned" ex-UO player after Fel was abandoned by the roadside, I can assume that the "Majority" of players didn't want to play with "Cut throat, Murderers" any longer...

Elwyn and Shade Cido like this.
  19. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

You know a good Moderator would have grabbed this thread and reigned in those who have taken it to a personal attack on player game styles. This was about a general can critique, bad as it was and how it is biased. It had zero to do with the last 2 pages of this thread.

Vero and FruityTooty like this.
  20. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

And what if you wrong ? You dont think about it ? What if I will make you understand that people like you is not more then 5-10 percents of players?
    You think that critique cant love object of critics. You think that I`m a SOTA critique... You missed both times.
    Your hallucinations are your problem, not mine. I`m not PVP player, my last pvp fight in SOTA was on Travian tournament. You missed again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.