Player capping

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bioxide, Feb 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bioxide

Bioxide Avatar

I would like to say I am strongly opposed to any form of player capping, this game is designed with a no cap sand boxy system. Player capping feels like it’s meant to punish player who plays the game for character development.

2. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Definitely agree

3. sotasota4

sotasota4 Avatar

low level here cause i sold my account time ago --- good news for me but i sure all the rest of players will quit the game.

4. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

The true end game design is sadly that you can level forever but the irony is that you feel less and less accomplishment for doing so.

5. golruul

golruul Avatar

I don't PvP, but I can understand a cap for that in certain scenes. Not everywhere, though.

For PvE, there shouldn't be a cap. At all. If mobs aren't tough enough as intended, there should be optional tougher versions of a scene a player/party can opt-in to for more rewards. Normal sieges aren't a challenge? How about a siege where all the attackers just snorted Aether crystals?! Instead of Mr. Normal Cabalist you'll instead face psychotic Aether Cabalist! (however, stop with the "player loses control of character" spam abilities, though. That's just a lazy, cheap way of ramping up the difficulty -- especially when there's no effective counter)

6. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I don't really see any need for PvE skill caps when there is already attenuation and steep diminishing returns on skills, but I don't really care that much if it's not a common thing.

More generally speaking, I feel like there's always some new completely avoidable controversy being pulled out of thin air when there's already a lot on the plate.

7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Why ?

8. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I am assuming we are talking PVP. If that is the case I think it would be better to offer different tiers for levels in some cases , and in others uncapped so all could play if they wanted. i don't pvp yet in this game, but In many other I have and being a low level in other games being thrown in with the elites on a death match is pointless :)

9. golruul

golruul Avatar

I don't follow PvP stuff as much, but I think there was an arena or something that had a max adv level and max skill level. I think the stated goal was to let people enjoy PvP without worrying about the grinding to be competitive. Considering the goal and considering it was one scene, I thought that was reasonable.

MrBlight likes this.
  10. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Siege are gonna be capped

Brass Knuckles and Dhanas like this.
  11. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Unfortunately we are talking about cap in pve

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  12. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

No it wasnt. It was designed with a Softcap: Skill Decay.
    Skill Decay is gone without replacement and balancing is out of whack now.
    With this system, new players will never able to compete with vets.

Jeb Ladedada likes this.
  13. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Skill caps would only be acceptable in certain PVP cases. Doing it in PVE like some kind of reverse scene scaling is not a good idea, ever.

14. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Perhaps is the new decay - you can level all you want, but it serves no purpose?

Can't see how anyone thought this was a good idea. If all the effort I've put into my character serves me no benefit since I can't use it, it follows that there is even less reason now to continue to put in that effort - the diminishing returns were already quite small as it was.

Its a worrying precedent. Today we cap sieges. Tomorrow we add caps to different Tier scenes.
    Its also doing the exact reverse of what they wanted, capping by overall skill level is just going to encourage players to grandmaster everything. Since raising skills vertically is going to be pointless since the cap negates it, then the only outlet for that XP, is laterally. Welcome to the world of everyone has 300 gms and gaining experience has become totally pointless.

About the only good thing about this change is I will have more time to get stuff done around the house.

Astirian and Dhanas like this.
  15. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Ah I see. I can't recall the reason for them adding it but I suspect it was to slow down leveling as there was some that were grinding that none stop and power leveling people round the clock. It also helps slow down any potential bots. Id rather see grind spot myself go away so that one place does not become the be all for grinding. I think a better option would be to do what other games have done in the past. where things eventually turn grey and no xp is given. This would push players to try other areas of challenge. Or perhaps do like some other games where groups / players levels affect the difficulty of the instance. Thus the higher your level the more of a challenge things can become. Not sure of the best solution to balance things, also have to keep player economy in mind when then do. having uncapped means all those that have unlimited time will then be pulling in a lot more high end items into the economy which at the pace of UT leveling could flood things and reduce the over all costs of the markets too quickly. But hey that is just my view on things :)

Dhanas likes this.
  16. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

If that were true they would /delete Ut.

That’s where 90% of the speed leveling is occurring. There are new people with about 4 months in the game that are 120+ now.

People don’t grind sieges for xp like people do with UT.

And more important if this becomes a trend first it’s one solution for some zone next it’s their solution to ballance they designed this system of a never ending grind they need a real solution to deal with it. Not nerfing everyone who plays a lot.

Dhanas likes this.
  17. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

So with this talk of a soft cap I have a couple of questions.

1)When does it take effect?

2)what is the cap affecting (skill level, adv lvl or both)

R/Boris/The Soon to be capped pirate/Black Capped Sails Forever.

18. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

true, I do recall Chris stating he hates UT for what it has become lol, there must be a better way to deal with this. I agree like I said power leveling low levels, 4+ years playing to get where I am and now people just gain gm's like water.

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I fear that the scene skill and level caps are the future replacement for decay and sieges are just the first test.

Brass Knuckles and Jason_M like this.
  20. Armeleon Vesaz

Armeleon Vesaz Avatar

Jaesun likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.