216 catapults!!! 8+ MILLION crafting experience NERFED?

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by xadoor, Feb 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  2. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

If you do not redo the failed ones you will still get around 8M XP, but keep almost 50% of the mats, so can redo it the next release for another 8M XP.

3. Lained

Lained Avatar

That seems like a good trade off for the gold investment.
    First time experience bonus resets upon each release?

4. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

yeah that? it resets ever?

5. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Nerf incoming!

7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

This has been around for a while and it better not be "fixed" this is actually the only real way to "UT" production exp.

ALl this shows is that it is now "out there" and they will look and "fix" it making it something a newer player will never be able to do or those that have not used it yet will be SOL.

Those that have used this got their already.

I know this is not something mentioned yet but watch.

StarLord likes this.
  8. Gravidy

Gravidy Avatar

What a fantastic analysis, I will definitely be trying this (although, not 216 times, I'm not that determined).

> Do you have more time than brainz?

Aah, yep, pretty sure I fall into that category. Thanks for doing this @xadoor.

9. Sway

Sway Avatar

you only get it the one time. it's just like all the higher up stuff you can make and get first time crafted exp for. you mix up the kind of wood or metal and it counts as a new first time. this is nothing new.

10. mugmas

mugmas Avatar

The bonus does not reset every release. I has reset once this I am aware of, but I check every release making dyes, and as far as I can tell the one time crafting XP bonus has not reset for the last few releases.

Sara Dreygon, Mac2 and Lained like this.
  11. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

If you know of others that are of this magnitude please share. Most of the other ones I saw require hard to get resources like dragon heads and troll heads(and aren't made 216 different ways).

12. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

The XP for 1st crafting resets after a while, not sure its for every release, but I think so

13. Sway

Sway Avatar

that one is good because it have 3 components and they only need 2 of each. also things made with cloth have only 3 variations (and no one should ever waist beetles on that) wile wood nd metal have 6 each.

14. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

This is not new, but it is limited to 'first time crafting'. You can do it with anything, catapults are just good because it is a high level recipe with 216 possible variants due to the materials required (it needs 3 things of which there are 6 types each) and requires less materials than some of the other options (look through crafting book, there's lots of other potentials).

Takes a while to set up, to get and make all the components, and its really only useful as a one-off, unless crafting "firsts" gets reset again. Can do the same thing slotting different types of gems, making different types of glass into fragments, making jewelry out of every type of binding and coil, making armor/weapons with every type of binding, strap, bolt, spool, coil, sheet, and so on.

I only know of this resetting once since persistence and not sure how/why it did. Of course, other resets may have happened, but before double XP, the gains were not as significant. It does not reset every release and there's no telling when/if it will ever reset again.

Sara Dreygon, Mac2 and Sway like this.
  15. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

So this has been a secret since persistance but recently (october 2018) the word started to spread out. Why would you guys keep a BUG secret? Its the only recipe that has 216 variant and that huge amount of exp. Clearly cant be by design, what kind of design is this lol... Oh well this is why we cant have nice thing

16. Sway

Sway Avatar

it was known, but less of a thing before double exp. I used this method on other crafting tables. made one of everything using different types of materials (except carp cloth cause I need that) currently i'm hording different heads to mount using all the different wood boards.
    I have also made one or each house in pine and maple. next will be the 4, tier 2 woods but it's going to cost lol

17. Sway

Sway Avatar

before double exp it wasn't really worth it to use tier 2 materials

18. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

It was never really a secret - first time crafting is a pretty well known mechanic, the recipe's been around for quite a while, people put 2 and 2 together. There's actually a couple other recipes with 1296 possible variants, although they require more materials and its lower level recipes, so less lucrative. Look at the Accordion, for example.

A lot of serious crafters always make all the variants of every new recipe that gets added, since its usually a pretty decent xp investment of materials. Because you can't ever do it again, its not a huge crisis. Yes, the catapults give a nice chunk - you need level 90 carpentry, quite a lot of resin/bark/wood/ore, and to spend hours making all the components. But its once and done. Before double XP it wasn't really worth the time/material cost to try and earn crafting XP by actually crafting stuff ...and aside from "first time bonus" situations, it still isn't, unless you just wanna pour gold into your producer xp pool - some people do.

Sway likes this.
  19. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

side note: doing this is NOT limited to seasoned players who already have all the mats and recipes. any new player can do all the ones requiring basic metal bindings (which is 72 of them, 1/3 the full set, a mere 2.7 million) a few at a time as they mine/chop and then do the others as they get the second tier metal binding recipes; the second tier wooden binding and wooden board recipes are all on npcs anyway.

20. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

i dont thing the entire thing is out of reach of anyone but how do you get 72? seems like:
    2 maple/pine boards * 2 maple/pine bindigs * 2 iron/copper bindings = 8 simple combinations

I guess I'm asking you to point out what you think is the 72 so people can do that if they dont have all the materials.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.