Player capping

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bioxide, Feb 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

No, decay was not designed in. Decay was brought in later on as an attempt to make death hurt by slowing progression. It didn't work and made the player community VERY unhappy.

I'm strongly against a skill cap of any kind. This is the first time I've EVER said this, but skill caps would cause me to look elsewhere for my gaming pleasure.

TheGrinch likes this.
  2. mugmas

mugmas Avatar

Just to throw in, the cap of sieges makes no appreciable sense to me.

If the intent is to provide challenging content, with a very low development cost, then I suppose I understand that. However, as mentioned in a previous post in this thread, it sets a precedent, that if applied broadly without some form of insight as to why, that this will be perceived by likely the majority of the player base, that a lot of players have wasted their time who chose to develop their characters. Perhaps people are leveling too quickly, and perhaps, they are not. If the issue is XP accumulation, turn down the flow at major XP faucets. Part of the reason XP is so easy in UT is the lack of contention. Make it Multiplayer only, or limit party mode XP. Easy fix to me, though I know that this is an unpopular point of view.

Additionally I would think that making such a large and impactful change should be made to coincide with a Major iteration of the game, (i.e. Ep 2) and even then not to do this lightly with a defined and clearly explained intent behind the change.

The capping change seemed to have come out of the blue, and since no one was really concerned with the Sieges, less the matchmaking element, which will be addressed in this upcoming release, it has not been taken overly well, and is the first time, I have had real reservations over this game. Up until now, nothing has really bothered me too badly, but this one does worry me.

3. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

If this is in regards to the sieges, this was removed almost immediately and should have never gone in. We just didn't get it updated due to this release being a lot more crazy than normal.

4. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Why do we need level caps? Why is people grinding 24/7 in UT an issue?

Because our combat system design is junk.

You can level and use every skill in the game which causes huge combat imbalances in PVE and PVP.

A high level player has more HP+ Focus, Defensive stats, Offensive stats
    Far greater assortment of skills that can be combined and used effectively because of decent skill levels and attunement in every tree,
    Every skill does more damage, heals for more, has better procs
    You can utilize the advantages of every tree simultaneously
    Etc etc etc etc etc

The first thing they need to do is limit the total amount of skills you can level.

You choose a certain amount of skills. The rest of your skills are at 0.

Second, decrease the gap between the ultimate hardcore and the average player.

There should be a reason for hardcore players to grind but it shouldn't give them benefits so overpowering that your average Joe doesn't even bother playing.

Third, it would also help overall to make sure all the bloody skills and stats are balanced.

You want players using their skills to perform better. Not break every encounter in the game.

This would also allow a variety of builds to be fun and viable. Not everyone playing the same FOTM crap.

For places you might consider a level cap like obsidian trials, instead of caps, skill levels should be normalized for low level players.

High level players still retain the skills and gear they worked for but any low level players get bumped up to 100.

Anyone who enters an obsidian trial should have a competitive chance vs other players.

This makes the trials to make them accessible for virtually anyone to just queue up for some competitive action.

Feeyo and Gorthyn like this.
  5. Floors

Floors Avatar

Wat

6. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

Some people don't understand the concept of sarcasm to point out how silly an idea can be.

Tabatha likes this.
  7. Floors

Floors Avatar

I understand the concept of sarcasm, but sarcacsm can't be conveyed on the internet well without using the agreed upon /s marker.

8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Well i mean, many many more succsessful games cap everything everywhere so, it apparently isnt nearly as absured as capping pay at work

9. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

The difference is @Arkah EMPstrike , those other games had the caps put in from the foundation of the game, and were an integral part of the design process. Sota was built on a different system from the start, one with a soft level cap and massively diminishing levels of returns when levelling (per XP invested)

10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Im saying its kinda silly to use capping paychecks as a metaphor for why skill caps dont work. Skill caps do work, just not desired here because we already played without them

And paycheck caps work. Many hourly jobs have capped pay, now that i think about it

11. infernal

infernal Avatar

every other mmo I have played has been imbalanced they rotate what class is on top, one mmo I played they nerfed my class to the weakest than a year later than made some changes and I could kill a team of 5 players with easy. sota's open system means we all have the same potential limiting it will make imbalances.

12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

With all due respect, @Chris - why was it applied to sieges to begin with - and where else can we expect to see it ?

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  13. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Yes!

14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

No !

15. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Wee though out, to bad the game has been out there for 7 years and not once was a cap an option. They talked that they had soft caps and mechanics to maintain them, and they failed, utterly. The mechanic to maintain it also failed miserably.

If the game started with these "caps" in place then this would not be an issue.

The only way to implement anything akin to this would mean you have to restart everyone from zero, good luck with that.

As it is no there is absolutely zero arguments that can validate any capping of anything other than to balance some PvP, notice I said SOME PvP not all of it but it is the only way to create any semblance of balance.

Since this topic will keep being dragged out by certain players there will always be two side.

Do not like the other not a problem,

But when one says that cap can never be implemented in this game without causing it demise, that is an opinion.

Disagree, go for it, but understand that some (myself) will not ever see any validity to it.

16. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Level cap seems like a reactionary / band-aid solution. Hopefully something more dynamic is in the works.

Bring back exp decay :)

17. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

How does the fact that someone has gobs more exp than me have any effect at all on how much I enjoy lumberjacking and hunting? Or fishing? Or how much I enjoy crafting furniture? How does it have an effect on how much I enjoy my gameplay?

I guess I may not be the "Average Joe" though, but I thought "Average Joe" is off playing Overwatch and Call of Duty*?

* nothin wrong with those games! I just never imagined "Average Joe" gamer cares about a quirky indie game with an iterative development model.

Alley Oop and King Robert like this.
  18. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

To clarify, I am not for or against caps. Frankly I could care less.

I am for fixing the combat system in general because practically every part of it is a mess and it is a very important game feature.

People who have gobs of XP affects the average Joe example you gave in many ways

I'm not going to go through them all. I will just give you an example.

You like lumberjacking and hunting you said. What has happened recently to the difficulty of many zones in the game?

Escalating tiers of zones to match the escalating power level of players.
    Along with zones, the difficulty of mobs has also been increasing.
    Whereas before you have Patriarch or whatever, you now have Destroyers etc.

What this means for your example average Joe player who
    1) can not play as many hours since he's not a hardcore player
    2) spends the time he is playing doing a variety of things (Harvesting, hunting, fishing, crafting)
    is that he will be blocked out of more and more content because his character simply won't be powerful enough to hunt and harvest in these zones.

This has significant impact on your gameplay because zones you previously played in are no longer feasible and you cannot harvest or hunt an increasing variety of mobs and loot.

As far as an average Joe not interested in a quirky indie game, our current combat is a great contributor to that.

There is a huge playerbase out there who are playing games similar to Shroud.

You are not going to get many of these players who play for the PVP or PVE aspect by keeping our combat system the way it is.

19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

According to you - @Rook Strife - the "fix" for our current combat system is for me to forget the 12k hrs I've invested in SotA gaining skills and be happy with some sort of "1 tree specialization" that would, in essence, negate all the hard work I've put in under our current system.
    And I quote you:
    Sounds like YOU just want to "catch up" by setting back all the people "above" you - that have worked hard for their skills.
    Is that correct, rook ?
    You guys have too many skills.... "it's not fair", is that it ?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Brass Knuckles likes this.
  20. Tabatha

Tabatha Avatar

Average Joe gamers don't care about those games ether, they are eclipsed by much better games now

I'm really not adding anything to this conversation...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.