Single-player isn't dead.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Astirian, Mar 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

3. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Just, you know, in case anyone was wondering.

4. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

Whats interesting is how "multiplayer" or perhaps how much of a shared-experience single player games are. Or maybe its the same and just distributed differently. Because now when we go on a single player adventure, we can share it among our peers via the world wide web, sprawling amidst strangers and confidants alike. Its not about if they're dead or not, its just that they probably feel more like a multiplayer experience than they used to.

5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Imo things like GTA 5 and RDR 2 will heappen more often in the future. You get a single player game to draw you into the world and setting and a games as a service MMOish add on that keeps the money flowing. Seems to work pretty good for Rockstar.

Astirian likes this.
  6. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

I really like the idea of pairing single player games to MMORPG. X3 was my first experience of a single player campaign that transitons to a sandbox. I hope that Star Citizen's Squadron 42 will transition smoothly to persistent universe play.

If SotA had done something similar.... a real offline experience that could be continued online...... Things would be very different today - for better or worse.

P.S.: Nice thread tags :p

Chatele, ephialtes and Astirian like this.
  7. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

Hand in hand with CPR and Witcher/Cyberpunk

8. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

I sort of assumed that was the plan from the beginning, a real hybrid experience and I'm excited to see how Episode II pans out in this regard. :)

I loved that game! I'm excited to try out X4, I skipped Rebirth. I've got 580 hours logged on Steam, my next most played game on there is Skyrim clocking in at 146. :) I used to leave X3 running overnight though, with SETA on heh! Had the automated traders building my little hamburger empire for me. :D

GTA V did very, very, well indeed in that respect!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.