New COTO hustle

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Arn Magnusson, Mar 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arn Magnusson

Arn Magnusson Avatar

I have read patch notes, and watched a Markee Dragon interview with the lead developer, in reference to why the Crown conversion was happening. The main reason given for the conversion was, there where items in the shop, they wanted to list for less than a Crown, but they where not able to do so under the old system. Today I had a look through the shop, the cheapest item listed is 100 Crowns, or 1 Crown worth before the conversion. That made me scratch my head, and ask myself, where are these great deals? Then I thought well maybe the deal is in the game, like when you use Crowns to repair gear. I tried to repair my gear the other day, and yes, it only took 1 of the new Crowns to do the repair, I thought awesome, this rocks. But then today I tried the same repair on a different piece of gear and BAM!, now it takes 100 Crowns...well there went that benefit. So if the cheapest item in the Crown shop costs 100 Crowns, and item repairs with Crowns cost 100 Crowns, then where are these items for less than 100 Crowns? I am feeling hustled by the "we are doing the Crown conversion to offer the player base better deals" message, because the current reality is something different.

New player feeling hustled.

nikkon78, liz_the_wiz, Gia2 and 5 others like this.
  2. Windmane

Windmane Avatar

I watched the same interview and agree with what Degothia has stated and feeling the same way

nikkon78, Vaiden Luro and Degothia like this.
  3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Well to be honest, first, they needed to get the store in the game, and working. Then add all the existing stuff etc... that’s quite the task to pull off. Eventually, we should be seeing the new under 100 packs or stuff.

4. nimueCW

nimueCW Bug Hunter

I suspect that the new system will allow them to put those 1 COTO (now 100) on sale. So now we will be able to get them for 50 or 75 cotos depending on sale discounts. I don't use cotos to repair, so I'm not qualified to say anything about that lol.

5. Floors

Floors Avatar

You only need to use crowns when durability is at a point where it depletes too fast. Otherwise use repair kits. You are just wasting major repairs and money otherwise.

All the items are cheaper than they used to be (non-sale) so really nothing to start complaining about compared to how it was.

There are already items in the store for like 240 or 120 so they already started using the fractional capability.

6. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

crown shop sales. if they want to put something that's 300 crowns on sale, they don't have to make it a whopping one third off, they can make it, say, 250

Fionwyn Wyldemane, Hazard and nimueCW like this.
  7. Arn Magnusson

Arn Magnusson Avatar

Well the patch took place on the 28th, since then there have been 4 days of sales posted, but nothing under 100 COTO's and that's the sales, not the regular priced items.
    The Crown conversion for existing Crowns in game is 1=100 post patch, you don't get that conversion unless you pay $60.00 usd or more for the Crowns in shop. The main reason listed in patch notes and in interviews, was they wanted to sell items in the shop for less than 1 Crown or 1 usd, but they could not, based on the old system.

My point, that you did not reply to is this, where are the items they wanted to sell for less than 1 Crown pre patch, now 100 Crowns post patch? There are none.

In referent to your comment about using crowns to repair gear. I understand what repair kits do, and I do use them. But on really well crafted gear, or Unique items, at times I choose to use Crowns to restore max durability. Since the patch, you where able to use 1 Crown to do that repair. Since the conversion value of 1-100, 1 Crown was a good deal on those repairs. Since the patch today, they took that ability away, thus the question, where are the items for less than 100 Crowns?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Windmane likes this.
  8. Arn Magnusson

Arn Magnusson Avatar

I agree, they can do as they like.

My point is, in patch notes and interviews , they stated a desire to charge less than 1 Crown for certain items, but where not able to do so under the old system, thus the old Crown value of 1 to 1 usd, had to change. But since that change, they have not listed any item for less than 100 Crowns, or 1 Crown pre patch value. And where I thought they placed the less than 1 Crown deal, was in the item repair system, but they did a patch to remove that option.

Windmane likes this.
  9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

they haven't yet added all the individual items that used to be on the in-game coto dealers. they plan to, but they've been focused on getting the web store items, which are often sets of things, moved first.

10. Arn Magnusson

Arn Magnusson Avatar

For those of you that missed the interview where this, less than 1 dollar, or 100 Crowns goal was mentioned, here is the link, and 31:17 is where that question and statement start.

11. Floors

Floors Avatar

I guess people will always find something to b***h about. Hang em high ! They didn't put 80 coto items on there..... :rolleyes:

12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Give it a tick, it'll happen.

13. Floors

Floors Avatar

Also I might add, devs need to avoid a firestorm by being careful with pricing during this transition as I sense the tinder is dry in this area as the recent outrage over store buffs might indicate

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  14. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I don't think it was just about having items for less than a crown, but more granular pricing in general.

If something cost 2 cotos before, it was always going to be 2 cotos, it couldn't ever go on sale unless it was half off, etc. I've already picked up quite a few packs of the new vases that went on sale from 200 down to 160, which wouldn't have happened before. Right now there's heraldry stuff discounted from 700 down to 560, and at least 3 items normally 200 on there for 160 (rugs set, wall mirror, tabletop trees) and dye packs discounted from 400 down to 320. None of these discounts would have been possible under the old system since they would have resulted in 'pieces of a coto'.

15. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Take for example things like dyes, patterns, etc. Instead of having to sell packs of 12, or 6 pattern, they can now sell just one. They just need a little time to break down the item packs. Single dungeon rooms, etc instead of a pack of a bunch of things that maybe are not needed. I think that might be an eventual goal.

16. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Riddle: How do you apply a 25%-off sale to an item priced at 1 crown?

It also allows in-game drops to be for less than one old coto. My understanding is that there is a global limit per unit of time, with the limit adjusted based on what cotos are selling for on player/public vendors. The way that drops worked, it was basically only people in high-level areas that ever got them. Now they can scale the lower level drops to be smaller amounts. There's still not enough public data yet to see how well that is working.

>They should be making new items while they're doing a massive restructuring of the store system! :whipcrack:
    There are also a lot of items that used to be on the first generation of in-game coto vendors that have not been added to the store. They have been focused so far on items that were originally in the web store.

17. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

This game has major releases and updates every month. The new Coto values are to ready for future items. Remember this is a tiny dev team doing major updates every month. You're not getting ripped off.

18. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

I really really hope for this!

It was great to be able to buy individual pieces of sets on the Coto merchants in-game. Now, with the new Coto value this should be even easier. Hope this gets added to the new Coto store soon!

I really love the new Coto store btw. So much easier to navigate than the website, so much faster purchases. I also like the daily special offers. Makes me check back every day and gives me that warm and fuzzy "bargain" feeling. :D

19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

it wasnt to make current items less than 1 coto, it was to make them mroe granular so they can do sales easier (with the side effect of them being able to drop in-game mroe often

If you look as sales, most of them are dollar and cent values now

20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Let me chime in here, because I think that's an info that's often overlooked:
    (One of) the goal(s) of this change was to make the subscription more attractive for player's.
    With 9 bucks you get 900 cotos and several other benefits. Which is much more attractive than the 10 bucks coto pack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.