Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Yet another instance of poorly designed combat - Envy Angel

Discussion in 'Release 63 Feedback' started by Rook Strife, Feb 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

In spite of repeatedly being disappointed with combat release after release,

a new boss is added to the game so I figure let's give it a try.

I don't know why I even bother. Turns out Envy Angel is just another of the growing list of mobs that take 0 damage from my completely geared and spec'd air spells. The wisps aern't much better.

WOW WHAT A GREAT DESIGN

Instead of blathering on about letters, how about just having Hyun hand out one of those new polearms and a respec scroll.

Feeyo likes this.
  2. Rat2

Rat2 Avatar

Are there mobs out there that are hard to damage with physical damage too?

3. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Someone posted in the bugs forum that they cannot hit the Envy Angel with their sword attacks.

4. Rat2

Rat2 Avatar

As an archer, level 100, I run into things I can't damage very much all the time. I spend a lot of my time in a group just doing debufs.

Barugon likes this.
  5. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Interesting, can you provide examples? I must be staying out of all those zones/avoiding those types of mobs..

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

LOL, yeah. I went to UT for the first time ever and my contribution seemed pretty insignificant.

7. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Really? I solo UT as an archer all the time, pretty easy.

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I suppose my 97 levels are not so awesome.

Elwyn and Mishikal like this.
  9. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

So I could start soloing UT @ alvl 104 (Then the +9 ADV level buffs you can get, the +5 from middle downs, the +4 from one of the devotionals).

Hard maple crossbow (for the +20% weapon damage)
    I had a mix of leather armor at the time (Now I have mostly bronze bone armor)
    All ranged skills @ 100 (including specialization) + Ranged Combat @ 120
    All passive light armor skills @ 100 (including specialization). Dodge & flurry @ 100
    Dex potion
    Str potion

The last round would kill me sometimes (and still can if things go awry). Mainly, pays to watch the mage locations.

Barugon likes this.
  10. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Envy angel/ envy wisps are pretty much immune to all magic. Just like the dragon, the demon, and pretty much every big target in the game except for the troll (and then, only weak against fire.) No surprise here, fully expected this to be the case (the magic immunity). Its why I have the bow tree trained up.

I thought other than that, it was a neat little fight. If only it actually dropped loot.

Mishikal likes this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Anyone get the artifact bow yet?

12. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Yes that is the problem and it is hardly a minor problem. Along with bosses, there is also UT, Lost Vale, Ruined keep, Krul + a significant amount of end game content with these immune mobs.

What kind of entertainment value do you think this adds for a player? To be blocked from large amounts of major content or forced to play another class/spec instead of what they have chosen and enjoy playing.

I can only speculate what the intent of this design was but you can be sure there are a whole lot of better ways to do it.

If it is to force players to group, then they need to take a look at the whole combat design because as was mentioned, you can just level different specs on the same character.
    You are just gimping players who don't want to sit around all day grinding UT.

If it is to force you to adapt your strategy or gear, or add some variety to fights, there are better ways than having you roll a completely different class.

Lower resist spells - Remove their resistance to X element for X seconds
    Lower resist skills - Air Specialization removes enemy Air resistance or decreases it by X
    Kill mobs with environment like kiting Air Immunes over lava pools
    Magic penetration stats on gear
    Convert your damage to a different type with equipment - Equip an amulet that converts all your damage to fire
    Convert your damage to a different type with consumables - Poison arrows that convert your physical damage to poison
    Convert your damage to a different type with spells - Juxtapose for 60 seconds turning your Air damage to physical

This way you don't have to

Completely change your &$#^ing character type
    Level up another main skill tree + all the associated minor trees needed to buff it
    Purchase alternate sets of items having nothing to do with your mage like bows, arrows, swords, chain armor
    Carry all this crap around
    And most importantly play something you don't want to play

Personally I find the whole mechanic sucks and is unnecessary. In other games I have seen it used it is usually very specific such as Air elementals immune to Air mages.
    All the bosses in the game are not air elementals and half the end-game is not populated by air elementals. Maybe a few pockets here n there or 1 particular zone.

As far as the rest of the Envy Angel content, the daily quest seemed well executed compared to the previous ones they've added.

The mob variety and mini-boss if it were killable would probably have been alright.

With a whopping 8k XP reward on that daily quest though, it's going to take a lot more than that to get players to return.

Need a few npc's with a variety of daily quests in the area involving various activities like killing, harvesting or different aspects of the game.

Rewards would be whatever you recovered from killing NPC's for gold/loot, harvested ores, wood etc plus some decent reward from the NPCs themselves.

Rewards from daily quests should be reasonably attractive but not enough where some guys gonna make 100 alts.

You could put 1 crown, 500 gold and 100k XP as a reward from Hyun.

Combined with the quests from a few other NPC's, a player could go to that zone for 30 min to an hour and leave with a crown, some gold/resources, maybe a buff for completing all the dailies, some assorted minor loot and maybe 500k XP.

Mishikal, kaeshiva and Feeyo like this.
  13. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I fully agree! And this also is the reason I have been playing less and less Sota. Its too bad really as I love SotA but the mechanics, poor bosses, dungeons and all the cap's going on is really breaking my love for SotA.

14. golruul

golruul Avatar

Well if it makes you feel any better, she's also completely immune to blade skill attacks. So immune that they don't even register ("You hit nothing!") against her. At least you're doing 0 damage.

Rook Strife, Jaesun and Mishikal like this.
  15. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Usually when "you hit nothing" its because you're not actually in range. I get this sometimes with my stonefist due to synchronization issues esp. vs. mobs that use ranged attacks and disengage/runaway. She's not immune to physical.

A physical user can kill anything in the game. A magic user is severely limited by this bs resistance and no way to overcome it design (except with fire, and even then, you're still better off using a weapon). Shoehorning different elements into specializations has made this worse since you can't cover all the possibilities. Envy Angel is yet another encounter where mages are relegated to being healers. Its annoying. This is why as I mage I've felt forced to keep a physical tree levelled up simply to deal with all the magic immune, magic shutdown, magic resistant crap everywhere.

16. golruul

golruul Avatar

I'm definitely in range. My autoattacks are hitting her. However, spamming thrust, double slash, and rend skills for more than a minute at various distances doesn't work at all. When other enemies were on top of her, I could hit them with the blade skills, but not her.

There's some kind of new bug in this release causing this.

Go try it with blade skills to see for yourself. It won't work. If it does work for you, let me know, because I gave up trying to kill her.

17. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

It looks like she has the same combat bug that happens to zombie children and the spoiled brats. (Auto-attack is the only attack that does any damage. Special attacks don’t do damage).

Unfortunately, this remains bugged and hasn’t been fixed.

Edit: For melee attacks

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Mishikal likes this.
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Ranged special attacks work.

Jaesun and Mishikal like this.
  19. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Keep getting you hit nothing! On the Wisps when using special attacks (Spear).

20. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

My problem is just getting it done once. I was there during the stream last week and for maybe another hour after that. I know I got at least one letter off of an imp. Yet I only got three letter types (plus the non-quest letters that somehow felt the need to sort into multiple stacks of 4 or less). We were told that one letter type would be only from the angel or imps, and I'm cool with that, so what am I missing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.