Soft Wipe for Episode #2 ? ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Weins201, Mar 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Incorrect.

2. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Prove me wrong? I played WoW long enough to know this. Overworld map arent scaled. Only dungeons and instance are.

3. Sway

Sway Avatar

seems to me a total wipe would be to much both for now and for episode 3 and 4 and so on. just granting 2x exp gained till you reached the same levels you had in episode one isn't entirely bad. seems like their should be a set number that is interchangeable. like 100 or 80. so gaining skills to say 80 in any episode should be the same. after that then each can have it's own, with it's own exp pools. (adventure pools only, not crafting pools, crafting should all be one pool) and each time you build a skill in an episode it will be faster the next time so say 1.2x (instead if 2x) for episode 2 and if you get it both up then 2x for episode 3, and 2.5 times for episode 4 ect…
    but it still seems like that isn't enough, so I would add that your 2 skills you specialize in carry over as is. meaning it's the same skill so you have 105 here you have 105 in episode 2. it doesn't change. to prevent stacking in one episode to better for another I would add that your skill in the tree you specialize in can not be turned down under your speciation skill. meaning if you have 105 in speciation then all skills in that tree can not be turned down under 105. perhaps even they have to be turned up till you reach the same level.
    I have always thought it should be a chore to go to episode 2 and 3 ect. encouraging guilds to have a guild house in each one for members to use as a remote home. or people having a home in each. interesting to not bring over gear. not sure how I feel about it. I would think their would be a bank outside a portal to episode 2 and you would have to empty all your equipment. I like it but it's just to much. all the gear you have locked and such. anyway you try to do it, I would think it would end up being temporary. so like months later it would be wide open. otherwise it will be hard for people to settle there (make homes other then secondary item drop homes)

4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

They really aren't. I just played yesterday.

devilcult likes this.
  5. DavidDC

The main problem is they want to cap level on episode 2, so you wont be able to reach level 120 again. I think he mentionned cap level 70 in livestream yesterday?

6. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Ok, so I haven't played the current expansion. But in the last one, all of the zones were scaled, up to the max level for that zone type. I.e., you could party as a level 60 with a level 10 in Darkshore for example. WoW automatically adjusts the amount of damage you do to be proportionate. Even if you *aren't* in a party.

Note: It started in patch 7.3.5: https://blizzardwatch.com/2018/01/16/wow-zone-scaling-leveling-will-work-patch-7-3-5/

7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Well of course you can set easy to super duper hardcore mode. That is some kind of scaling. But you still need a max lvl char. And then there is this raid id nonsense that is able to split your raid through several dungeons.

8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Wups. Ok, my bad @devilcult
    Funny what you miss if you are always Max lvl.

Mishikal likes this.
  9. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

You apologized to the wrong person, but it's accepted. ;)

10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Just strike through the name :D

Mishikal likes this.
  11. DavidDC

If i check at the difference of level in the world map zone (not the instance) they are differnet of about 10 level, you call that map scaling? They just put monster in that are level X to X and thats it. Im sorry but this isnt scaling as people are mentionning here. Now if you look at dungeon scaling, the difference of level is 40+, NOW thats scaling a map. Monster in the dungeon wont be level 20 to 60, they will be adjusted entirely to the party. This is how i see it.

First comment down the page:
    Mazingaa year ago
    Horribly disappointed by this so called "level scaling".

12. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Sure, there are different types of scaling. WoW does the world scenes by expansion level (so 20-60 or whatever), etc, because the game is based around those expansions. And yes, instanced dungeons are handled differently. But you've lost track of the point, which is that using some form of scaling is not uncommon across MMOs. How it should be done (assuming that it should be) is an implementation detail that certainly should be hashed out.

13. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

That's a really neat way of allowing everyone to feel that progression is meaningful. I especially like that certain skills could only be used in the new expansion zone (Planet B as you describe). Something similar can be done here, coming up with some backstory as to the "why". For example, we have the Obsidian shards that give us magic in Novia/Hidden Vale. Maybe have some "other" form or magic in the new lands, and only allow players to use that magic there (at least some of the skills).

Seriously, this would be the best idea. Thanks for pointing it out (as I tried to get into the new Anarchy Online 2019 server - never having played it before). :)

14. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Oh no... Say it ain't so. I think it's safe to say that no one who cares about it is OK with it. Those who care, I think, are very much not OK with it! That's the key distinction! MMO dudes like to chat on forums for obvious reasons, single-player people maybe not so much so the "voice" maybe isn't there?

And how would you pull analytics out of that anyway, so it becomes a priority? You have to see it almost, you know, from a film director's perspective right? Everything might be OK with the technical aspects of the film's production, you can strive to get the best performance out of your rigs and systems etc... Get the lighting right. Focus on the technical aspects and all but you need to have an eye for scene composition, and story, and pacing, and impact right? The presentation matters! You get drawn into your favourite books\TV\films\games.

This is why no one cares about quests in WoW that much. They do them because they sort of have to. It's like the flavour text you ignore, you just round 'em all up in a hub. But this ain't WoW! It's way more special than that. (Don't get me wrong I binged on WoW and they had a killer Wrath of the Lich King mid-expansion cut-scene but as far as I'm concerned it's the McDonald's to SotA's delicious steak dinner, Blizzard may be my rock star but Origin Systems is royalty)

Like, I kinda get it right? I'm a dev and I get a kick out of things like coding a really clever thing, but you can't ignore the importance of legacy man. As far as I can tell, the "UO part" is coming along nicely (I'm certainly enjoying it, very, very much. I log in every day these days), it has a lot of promise... But please give us a QA pass on the "Ultima VII" side ya know?

I dunno. They did a brilliant job with the zoom thing in convos, they certainly have the 3D down pat, just need some 2D UI love. Although having said that I've become very much aware in recent months how "friendly" Unity is with UI stuff. zPos and sort order nightmares for days. Getting rid of the yellow borders et al. was a cracking good start though.

This is probably for another thread though so I do apologize. Went on a rant there.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  15. redfish

redfish Avatar

IMO

Level scaling always was a bandaid solution that was missing the point. If monsters scale to you, you aren't really advancing in the game at all and might as well not have levels. Of course, if you're leveling up but always fighting at your level so you're never fighting anything more difficult than you are, it isn't much better, and just limits the scenes you can go in. But at least, if we're talking about level scaling we might as well talk about addressing the problem and not putting a bandaid over it.

The point is that the way advancement works in MMOs always needed to be rethought.

Its not important that a level 100 character can insta-kill a wolf in a tier-1 scene without worrying about being hit. This doesn't make the game fun just because you feel like you're growing 'powerful'. It makes the game boring, because it makes old content pointless.

Increasing your stats endlessly was never the most exciting form of achievement in RPGs. Improving your stats had some role. But more important was always new things. Learning new spells, new skills, getting new items, getting new knowledge, getting new NPC contacts, learning new techniques. And then applying those things out in the world. Harder monsters shouldn't be necessarily harder because they have higher stats, but because they fight tougher and you have to match their techniques with your techniques.

I have no idea why RPGs turned into some obsession with numbers.

Flatten the level curve, put more focus on skills. Don't make it so easy for a level 100 character to defeat low tier monsters. Improve monster AI. Give monsters tactics and improve them per difficultly, have them work more together. For players, add more skill combos and improve the skill combo system. Think about how leveling up can improve the skills you already know. Make combat more receptive to tactical based moves. Improve stealth-based gameplay, and give monsters the same weaknesses that players have (like not seeing in the dark), or have their own weaknesses. Think about synergies between players. Also IMO putting emphasis on the player being prepared for his adventure also helps. It was always a part of RPGs which kept you actively involved.

16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Yes please

Daigoji Gai likes this.
  17. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

No, I truly think the panic is more amazing than unquestioning support. White Knight syndrome got nothing on this thread.
    Lord have mercy...
    [​IMG]

That was a very sexy post.

18. Sway

Sway Avatar

I will not deliberately enter a zone that will diminish what I have earned without giving me a way to over come it. hard cap ? at 70? I just will not go. why would I? if I wanted to play like that I will just play an alt. also If restrictions are added to episode 2 that are that drastic i'm sure I will not be the only one who would be asking for a refund one episode 2

Cianna, kaeshiva, FrostII and 6 others like this.
  19. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I JUST DIED PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS A LIE???

20. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

I'm super curious as to how this would work? I'm lev 100 in E1 lands then I zoom over to E2 lands and I'm level 1? Then I go back to E1 lands and I'm lev 100 again?

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.