This Months Rewards are Meh

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alleine Dragonfyre, Mar 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Hey there,

I, obviously cannot speak for everyone, however I find this months rewards pretty disappointing. I really love @DarkStarr themed items, because I dig me some Darkstarr, but we just had these rewards, what, in the last year or so? New Darkstarr stuff! please and Happy Birthday :D

While I understand that your team is small and doesn't have a whole lot of time, I think giving a little extra attention to the rewards to make them more unique would go a long way in making those dollars. Recoloring already existing items is just meh (again, love em, but already have em) and the world is saturated with them already due to some people having, like, 50 accounts.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Sara Dreygon, Almar, Hazard and 12 others like this.
  2. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

I think the revenue this month speaks for itself. If the stretch goals were good, I would have bought a set for all of my non-subscribed alts. This month's and last were an opt-out for me.

Chris hinted at a deeper problem a week or two ago though and that is there are $200k worth of COTOs in-game that aren't being spent on anything in the COTO stores or otherwise used.

Time for fresh products all around IMO.

3. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

I wonder if people sitting on COTOs could be polled to see what they are waiting on that they want to spend their COTOs on.

4. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

I agree the rewards just fall short. But that is this month. Look forward to the next ones :)

5. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

Well for the most part holding on to them until the game is near completion. Nothing to spend them on as everything was all direct cash sales never coto, so why would they assume we would spend them?

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  6. Alleine Dragonfyre

Agreed. They are adding new things, just not nearly enough to satisfy this customer base.

This community has been around a long time and so many have a glut of what they already want. Recolors of some store items would be a fast way to help with that. Recolors of houses, recolors of weapons or new procs (animations) etc. (note I didn't say wearables because we should be able to dye them) This keeps from having to draw or edit new stuff while offering options. This would work in the short term while, perhaps, continuing to add new things to the shop.

I say this because it is a small dev team and really, the game's quest systems, maps, ep2 etc are really in need of attention over stuff but revenue is still needed.

Also, I see no problem with fundraising for fixes of in-game stuff they haven't gotten to yet. Maps would be a great idea.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  7. Lancell Lancermane

Lancell Lancermane Avatar

my thought with the telethons goals ...
    so example ....

its november telethon
    they put out Christmas goals
    they make all of them
    so we have the stuff for christmas instead of waiting a whole year to put it out ..
    with that said ...
    lets say we only get to half of the goals listed....
    so if we only got level 1 - 4 but we didn't reach 5-8
    they put the rest up (5 - 8) for sale on the crown store ..

rinse and repeat for each telethon ...

this prevents waiting 2-3 months for our telethon stuff ...
    gives us new "eye candy"
    and gives them more things to sell ...
    more money even if we didn't meet the goal they can still sell the things we didn't reach in the telethon goals

and the ones we did get for the telethon stays as "rares" but the rest can be bought ..

just a thought

8. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

But do you really need 30 grand to reverse the colors on a chair and clock tower? Some of these are getting just silly for the dollar amount between stretchgoals

9. Alleine Dragonfyre

We're not funding the creation of the rewards. We're funding the development and internet/rackspace and salaries that are needed to run the game.

10. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

Not if there aren’t any interesting rewards to fund. This is not a pity party. If they want money, they need to give us a good reason to part with it, and I’m afraid the reasons you give aren’t good enough to just throw money away for recoloured/repetitive items.

11. Alleine Dragonfyre

And that would be the point of my post ;)

12. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Regarding the Stretch Goal cash amount, I think the shortfall was anticipated with the move to the Crown Store. Many have accrued a sizable stack of COTOs and are likely spending them in the store. COTOs are tallied when they are purchased, not when they are spent. There will probably be a few months of shortfall before all the previously acquired COTOs are spent and folks start buying more.

Sentinel2 and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  13. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

What I don't get is why a DarkStarr Clock Tower and Dungeon Room (both of which fewer players can use) are sequenced ahead of the Trident (that more players are more likely to be able to use).

More and more, that logic causes me to sit out sales events.

Dhanas, Grimace2, Gorthyn and 4 others like this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The only one I'm interested in is the black leather armor and we all know that ain't happening.

15. yinki2

yinki2 Avatar

make rare limited edition items , like only 50 pieces only of dungeon room and i will buy it.

add limited # episode 2 bundles and it will sell in a flash, even if epis 2 is still undefine and far away.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  16. Helverian

Helverian Avatar

I do not think that is because of the darkstarr rewards.

Its because of shutting down the web shop.

Let me explain why.

The telethons getting nore money since it is free 2 play. Everyone can make 100 accounts for no money. And then spent only 5 dollar each account to get the rewards. Ok the most of the player flood the market with the items... but let me explain how i handle it. I got 10 accounts now and i got 5 Houses, basements and perhaps starting a dungeon to place all these items.
    When i liked the rewards i spent all the 10 accounts. Which cost me 50-70 dollars.
    Now the only really good option is the subscription. I got now only 2 of them. Because its already 18-20 dollars for getting the rewards twice. In the old way i would the reward 3 or 4 times.

So shutting down the web shop to save development time will getting into much less money for port.

17. Alleine Dragonfyre

Yeah I'm not seeing many row or village house owners rocking clocktowers, heh.

I've wondered about this myself.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Sentinel2, Beaumaris and Cordelayne like this.
  18. Katu

Katu Avatar

I have one sub, just to get the potions and cotos for more potions. Rewards are always something decorative, that only town/house owners might want. I don't have a town, nor a house and most likely never will. So rewards are mostly useless to me.
    If I need more Cotos, I get those from players, because they sell cheaper.

Allowing RMT/trading of cotos, might have been the single, biggest failure of Sota.

Edit: If they want to start selling cotos again, they need a way to drain those 200k worth of cotos from economy.

And figure out something to sell for those, who are not here for the sims part.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Boris Mondragon and Gorthyn like this.
  19. oplek

oplek Avatar

They do seemed to have fallen behind on delivering prior rewards, so it could be they're trying to get some breathing room to catch up (as well as the suggestion that the already-bought COTOs need to deflate some). Otherwise, I don't understand it, and it could just be complacency.

We've given a lot of feedback over time on the stretchgoals, but they don't appear to listen. I have no problem with them coming up with cheap ideas... but you'd think they'd try to come up with ideas that were... exciting... but there's apparently no outreach to the community to see what that'd be. We try to deliver those ideas, but like newspapers piling up on the doorstep of an abandoned house, it doesn't seem like there's a point to trying anymore.

Amelli and Gorthyn like this.
  20. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Might i suggest Arkah themed items?

A lute that looks like a banjo

A black and white Embry’s Harp

A cloak that reinforces the fact that imarkah

Another cloak that mistakenly claims to be okrah

And 4 new dagger’s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.