Immersive RP location: Helboer in Kahli

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Helvig Ingvildsdottir, Oct 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

Welcome to Helboer, visitor!

Helboer (formerly Helheim) is an immersive (hardcore) RP community in the POT Kahli in the Hidden Vale. We welcome everyone that would roleplay with us, be they friendly or hostile.

This is not a recruitment post for a POT or a guild. We simply want to offer a place to hang out occasionally and meet other roleplayers. It is our hope to promote immersive RP in SotA and help interested players to get started with RP. We are looking forward to meeting other individuals, groups, and guilds that roleplay and to build mutually enjoyable interactions of all kinds.

We offer:
    1. A place to roleplay. We are only few and cannot guarantee that you will find someone in Helboer when you decide to stop by. But when we are in the game, we will gladly roleplay with you, no matter who you are. We have a tavern/meadhall where we host events, that is often also simply used for spontaneous roleplay, so please come check it out. Feel free to roleplay there even if no Helboer citizen is currently present. We want to see the place used.
    2. Inclusion in player-run quests, storylines and plots with many different roles to take. We have no scripted outcomes. Your involvement matters! And we would love to participate in your story, too.
    3. The potential for conflict between groups and individuals on a RP basis. Kahli is an open PvP town, and while we are primarily a RP community, we welcome PvP as a tool for IC conflict. The Price of the Oracle is disabled in Kahli btw, so you can enjoy RPvP without fear of losing your valuables.
    4. Roleplay coaching for those new to RP. Hang out with us, have fun, and if you want, let us explain a few basics to you. We will gladly help you find your unique RP style, even if it may be different from ours.
    5. A place to live for those dedicated to immersive RP in a lovely place with many convenient facilities and a tight-knit community of dedicated roleplayers.

If roleplay is your thing, or if you are simply curious, don’t hesitate to simply stop by in Kahli. Weekends are most likely to find a few of us around. Announce your presence through the zone chat and let us start interacting. Or send a private message to the following people:
    • Helvig Ingvildsdottir (Discord ID: Helvig #9189, @Helvig Ingvildsdottir in forums)
    • Fei Akhart (Discord ID: Fakhart #1702, @Fei Akhart in forums)
    • Ashyeena Marsh (Discord ID: Grados#6378, @Ashyeena Marsh in the forums)
    • Voelund Ildhammar (Discord ID: CheStree #0760, @Bergelmer in forums)
    • Thai (Discord ID: Katrina Ackhart #6265, @Katrina Akhart in forums)
    • Olthadir (Discord ID: Olthadir #0907, @Olthadir in forums)
    • Corte Grimward (Discord ID: Corte Grimward#2577, @Corte Grimward in the forums)
    • Aslinne Gradh (Discord ID: Lily Byrd#2730, @Lily Byrd in the forums)
    • Balour Copan and Langois (Discord ID: Elijah#9780, @Rogosh of the Zog Cabal in the forums)
    • Dotta Alfdottir (Discord ID: Dot#0086, @Dotta in the forums)
    • Tialessa (Discord ID: Tia#1026)
    Please also feel invited to come talk to us in Helheim's Discord Chat.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  2. Fei Akhart

Fei Akhart Avatar

I met all these people a few months ago at a time when I was about to stop playing. And they not only made me keep playing, but they make my days very funny (ingame or offgame on our Discord channel) - even with such different time zones!

The RP immersion that exists in Hellheim appeals to any RPlayer who hopes to develop their own story or participate in the stories of other characters. Everyone is free to participate as they wish and that is what makes it so special.

And when it comes to the PvP factor, which can scare some roleplayers, I say: I am one of the people who most avoid PvP and I don't see my character living anywhere else in Novia.

If you are curious, come any time to visit us and we will have fun together! =)

3. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Here are a few more useful links:

RPOTA.com: An external resource by Elgarion, a database for character background stories, journals, and more.

SotA roleplayer list: An attempt to list all roleplayers in SotA in order to help likeminded people to get together.

Kahli main thread: Everything about the RPvP POT Kahli, of which Helheim is one of many districts. Kahli offers a lot of free housing to homeless roleplayers and has many well-planned districts for RP guilds to claim as outposts or as their primary location.

Helboer recruitment thread:
    If you are looking for a home, and would like to know what Helboer has to offer, read this.

Nos Giliath: Nos Giliath is one of the very few guilds in SOTA where RP is not optional but mandatory. New members are very welcome!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  4. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

I find that even the newest of Roleplayers are welcomed here. Don't be shy! Many are willing to help!

5. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

@Helvig Ingvildsdottir Kahli sounds like a great town and though I have never attempted roleplaying, the idea behind Helheim sounds interesting enough to make me want to drop by and have a look around.

I am curious to know how it is possible to reconcile open PVP with the kind of social environment you describe. Even if the main town residents don't attack visitors on sight, there is risk involved that is a hurdle to many PVEers who might be interested in dropping by.

Speaking only for myself, I would hesitate to enter the town with my normal inventory because I don't have the funds to ransom back anything valuable I might lose. I'd probably make it a point to unequip everything and drop it all off in a chest somewhere beforehand. I think there are ways and means to organize one's inventory to lessen the chances of losing something valuable, but this is not something that PVEers usually think about and it would require them to do some research. All in all, it seems like a big enough commitment of time and effort to make me postpone a visit to the town to some rainy day that may never come.

Having said that, I am definitely not an opponent of PVP. I just don't engage in it because it doesn't match my skillset.

6. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

@Kara Brae : Thank you for your kind words! I am looking forward to showing you Kahli, and especially Helheim, in person.

In fact we don't wear our valuables in our home town. We often enough have visitors who get upset because they are stolen from and were carrying a backpack full of artifacts and huge stacks of reagents. Living in an open PvP POT while not being an awesome PvPer teaches you to carry small stacks of everything, a bag full of junk, and armor and weapons that can be replaced or ransomed without too much pain. And I would continue doing so, even if I became one of the best PvPers in SotA, because a skillful thief is a threat to you even then.

That being said, we do not suffer attacks frequently. And I am grateful to the community for allowing us to live in our place without being constantly harassed. Most people that stop by looking for trouble do roleplay or at least attempt to do so before or after the fight, and thus give us a good time. This is where you notice that SotA does have a very mature community indeed.

We have a couple of no-PvP basements, too, in case we need to get to a safe place quickly. One of them has a remote bank device, and all regulars are added to the lot, so even if one forgot to bank something, that can be fixed.

My suggestion to loose the fear of loosing stuff: Let yourself get killed by a friend a few times. Note the ransom for the different items that drop. You will see that decent crafted gear is very affordable when it comes to ransoms, so generally banking your artifacts and your excess reagents (50 of each are enough for a few fights) should suffice.

I would love to see you in Helheim one day soon! Send me a whisper, and I'll personally pick you up from your spawn point :-D

7. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Plus many of the settlements are walled and the gates can be locked for greater security. The ten name limit per gate for access is a bit of a pain but can be got round and hopefully at some point will be raised by Port.

Better still if they gave us a proper Guild War system like we had in UO. Would really be in business then.

8. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Oh yes I wish the gate limits were increased. Helheim is a "gated community", as Gorthyn said, with a single gate. But we lock it only very rarely, as Helheim has seven residents and several regular visitors currently, and the gate does not offer a 100% protection anyways.

Come visit us, @Gorthyn ! There are good times to be had. :)

9. Aeryk

Aeryk Avatar

@Gorthyn One thing being kicked around in the community is the idea of a faction system. If we can get something like this, individuals and perhaps even guilds could band together for a cause (such as the Obsidian event series @Cerus did such an amazing job with recently).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  10. Fei Akhart

Fei Akhart Avatar

Happy New Year, Helheimers and friends!

I created this video as a way of honoring all the RP that we did during the year! Hope you like it!

11. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Updated to reflect the transition from Helheim to Helboer.

Also some screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  12. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I visited a few weeks ago and no one tried to relieve my purse of coin or my bags of items! The new area is quite spectacular and I am so happy for all the residents. May Sequanna watch over you and not only keep you safe, but warmed by the glow of love.

13. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Update: Kahli has the Price of the Oracle disabled now. Which, in my opinion, makes for a less realistic but more relaxed RPvP opportunity. RPers can still agree on a price (without game mechanics support), especially for plots involving PvP where for example an item has to be retrieved. But you no longer have to store your valuables away before visiting Kahli. Which I hope will lower the threshold for RPers that are less interested in PvP to come to Kahli to RP with us.

14. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Our next Episode of the Black Sails Saga will head into Kahli. We hope to do as much of the story in game as time allows and I need a guide as we seek to ensure the artifacts we hid are still there or find the trail of the ones that stole them for the Obsidians.

Please let us know which part of Kahli will welcome us and which is hostile like the Obsidian towers. :)

R/Boris/El Pirata/Black Sails Forever.

Time Lord and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  15. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

I have no authority to speak for the other districts of Kahli.

Helboer generally welcomes everyone that behaves in a respectful manner, independent of their affilation. I think every resident would agree if I say we are there, we are available, come RP with us and we can see where things go. Perhaps we get involved in one way or the other through interaction, perhaps not. Most of our characters are reasonably approachable.

Elgarion is the right person to ask general questions about Kahli. While he is not IC a ruler/governor/whatever, it is his POT and his lore.

16. Fei Akhart

Fei Akhart Avatar

I didn't understand this part of "I need a guide". Could you elaborate?

17. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

As the third episode of our story ends it reveals a certain woman stole a map. Boris and others will look for her in Kahli yet Kahli is a large area. I will try to get Adam to help out but will have to wing most of it to make it to all the towns looking for a clue as the whereabouts of this woman with the map to the hidden artifacts.

18. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Happy to announce: All lots in Helboer are claimed now. Welcome to our new residents Dotta Alfdottir and Balour Copan.

This doesn't mean that we will turn down people that seek to live with us. There's two community buildings that can be moved if we need more living space, there's lots available just outside our walls, there's free rooms at the Hall of Learning's inn basement, and we are even taking into consideration an expansion by claiming another district in Kahli if our numbers should rise to a point where this would make sense.

19. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

20. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

This event is going to be partly hosted in Helboer. Details to follow soon!

[​IMG]

Jay Nord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.