Discussion bout chris streams

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arkah EMPstrike, Mar 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Chris has been streaming and answering stuff in streams. When i feel like it (because i dont owe any of you a dang thing!) ima post some info and highlights starting with the most recent stream right now \o/.

Chris has a new stream that he does and the reasons are
    1.)Its like a daily blog “on steroids” and allows more dialouge with the players in that he gets to give more feedback directly.

2.) portalarium is trying to get to be a Twitch partner to get more exposure. 8 more hours of streaming until twitch partner achieved \o/

This stream he has begun to experiment with prize giveaways during his stream

Chris volunteered to ship the remaining shroud boxes, yesterday het got some things together he needed to ship stuff including a bag of like 40 “return to sender” boxes.

An option to skip out of the quest line from the begining is a change considered for R65 due to devs trying to play as a new character on stream. May ne able to opt for the “Homesteaded” path instead of one of the other 3.

Some plans for episode 2 scenes include focusing on having fewer scenes that are higher quality, including new pvp scenes, as well as giving players the tools to create more of thier own content.
    Undone is working on the ability for players to add dialouge to NPCs for things like player made quests.

Can we get an option to mirror-flip deco when placing? Yes we can, and he wrote it down. Says it should be easy to add.

Chris believes QA build is showing better performance and fewer crashes, which means they may be able to switch to newer version of unity. So far only 1 critical issue with 1 linux user’s video card crashing, and possibly some wierd stuff trying to run in full screen windowed mode.

A bit of a spoiler about a future proposed gold sink involving a whole new higher tier of crafting.

All im pulling out of it for now, forst half was mostly thanking twitch followers and shipping stuff

2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I heard one interesting bit about taming. Previously, it was said that the highest tier of creatures would not be able to be resurrected, but that didn't get applied to the newest ones (like drakes). Chris said this was still the plan, but for a "higher" tier of tamable creatures that will be coming. So... thats something tamers could get excited about.

3. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

Hmmm.... I think he was talking about this version of unity supporting some multithreaded rendering too, which should be a massive performance gain. He had mentioned that a newer version of unity was showing 60fps in all zones except in one special area.

I gotta download QA and check this out!

Astirian and margaritte like this.
  4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

You owe me. I read your topic and gave you a like for it. That's at least worth a chunk of your soul!

5. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

The other thing they were testing was using Unity's IL2CPP, which decompiles all of the Unity code and recompiles it into native C++ code. This should improve Linux and Mac builds the most, but may also help with all performance. Hopefully that works, although third party DLLs always throw a bug into this (so expect the map to die, at a minimum).

6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Can i haz ray tracing?

craftymethod and Boris Mondragon like this.
  7. Jack SinAssist

Jack SinAssist Avatar

and we heard that the devs (especially Chris) are afraid of my crafting challenge. It isn't like it is hard. :( I mean seriously! How time consuming could it be to craft 100 of each scroll from base materials?

8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

This is a make or break moment for the game. I hope they get it right. If they just RNG throw people into any available lot, some will get lucky and wind up in a great town filled with people, others will wind up like this:

[​IMG]

"Where is everyone?" There are totally empty towns out there and you can make a safe bet that a Homesteader that winds up in an empty town has a high chance of quitting because there is even less direction than normal in that situation.

To compare it to the Adventure side of things, imagine if, when you jumped into the lunar rift, it randomly chose an adventure scene to throw you into. That's the equivalent.

Since there will be a large portion of new players that opt for this, please for the love of Travolta Do Not F This Up!

9. oplek

oplek Avatar

If they took Twitch VODs and uploaded them to YouTube, which has gotten pretty good at auto-captioning, maybe a transcript could be pulled? Of course, the algorithm may not do great about filtering things out like technical difficulties with dog-cam (or what is it, some kind of mosquito?)

10. Lained

Lained Avatar

11. smack

smack Avatar

Did he say if those changes are in the current 818 QA build? Because I'm not seeing any noticeable improvement. I check the same few spots each build and it's running about the same.

12. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

No, he must have been talking hypothetically. I didn't see any improvement either in QA this afternoon. I do run the game at 4k though.

13. oplek

oplek Avatar

14. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

You could follow them on twitch and get a notification when they go live.

Jaesun and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Thanks @Arkah EMPstrike . Also Chris did say they would make it possible to dye the walls of our homes. That I thought would be great for individuality. Not sure how it would work or if multiple colors can be used but it could look very interesting.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  16. oplek

oplek Avatar

Not me. For whatever reason, I haven't gotten a Twitch notification on any channel (including Port's) for about a year (even after switching email addresses a few times). But setting that aside, this thread itself was spawned because stream-only information dumps through multi-hour streams creates a practical barrier - if not an accessibility barrier - as well as a searchable barrier - that should not happen. At minimum, what should be happening is that,
    1. These Chris-streams are posted onto his daily blog, with links/embedding to the stream, with bulletted initial topics/tasks.
    2. The video is followed-up with a bulletted list of topics/announcements/reveals/questions actually covered.
    3. Link to permanent VOD, if different from#1.
    It's one thing to be BSing around in an inconsequential stream, but when legitimate topics and information coverage is relegated to *only* these streams, they aren't just doing themselves a disservice, but the community as well.

kaeshiva, Jason_M and FrostII like this.
  17. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

The discord server notifies in the portalarium-streams channel for SOTA every time he goes live. Just to note ;)

Jaesun and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  18. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

Oddly Twitch never sends me Port notifications either.. been following it for a while. Was there an announcement about the streams and subscribing on Twitch and what all those points are for?

19. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I get an email every time there is a stream.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  20. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Somehow I read "daily blog on sterioids" as "dog on steroids" and had to stop and ponder that for a moment.

Now back to the regularly scheduled Friday pale ale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.