Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

R64 QA Build has been published!

Discussion in 'Release 64 QA Feedback' started by BurningToad, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smack

smack Avatar

Anyone seeing any performance improvement on Windows with the latest 823 build? I'm not noticing any. Did the IL2CPP changes make it in to the Windows build?

2. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

I was wondering, could you publish the QA/Beta as a separate Steam Game ID so we can install both at once?

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You can install the standalone QA alongside your steam install.

Jaesun and Alley Oop like this.
  4. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

As far as I know that is _not_ in the build as it was crashing the player client. Somewhere next week they will do another experiment build with that enabled.

5. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I believe BurningToad said that IL2CPP wasn't included in this buiold. It's just a Unity 2018.3 build.

6. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

The problem I run into is that I'm using Steam to handle my login. I could theoretically install it in a separate home directory on my machine and have two steam installs.

I probably should have a separate computer login and home directory for running QA on other applications as well, so it wouldn't hurt anything to do that.

7. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

I don't see any real advantage to IL2CPP anyhow in this. Most of the burden is not in the IL interpreter.

I wish Unity would chose the much superior Mono-LLVM stack for AOT compiling instead of the buggy IL2CPP stack. The Mono-LLVM stack is infinitely better at all forms of optimization, and is using the compiler modern standards like OpenMP and Vulkan were developed under.

The problem is that Mono-LLVM is only compatible with SGen, but Unity chose to bypass the mono stack to directly access a Boehm heap from C++ code in a really old and really bad decision. Their C++ code has been written on this basis for a long time. This means that a huge portion of their code would need to be rewritten to use it. Still, it has been my observation that the longer they delay the more code becomes dependent on the old stack and the longer it will take to port to a new one. They are simply digging themselves into a hole.

The real problem is dynamic loading of data, especially player lot data.

What really needs to be done by SoTA devs is to implement sparse loading of player housing object data, where only the data needed to view the objects is loaded, not every little bit of data about them. There is a lot of additional data and attached scripts that can be left unloaded unless a player interacts with an object, or it could simply be loaded into memory in an archive form but not have it's scripts fully loaded or object data loaded into the object variable tree.

Feeyo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.