Ogre mobs

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by RedEyeZz, Mar 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedEyeZz

RedEyeZz Avatar

Big bad ogres, even bigger and badder then the trolls. All with new and exciting moves to master and slay over and over. Super Tall skinny lower level ogres to big giant boss size ogres. I want to slay some ogres in episode 2 my friends. Lol

2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Ogre Lives Matter

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Geez... what did they ever do to you

4. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I was thinking a land of GIANTS! Where we can all go in big groups and do group stuff.

But making a great game would be too easy and everyone would have too much fun LOL!

5. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Overworld Raid Groups!!

6. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

This is where my current state of concern lies: other than seasonal content (which, don't get me wrong, is nice), there appears to be a lack of content coming. We shouldn't have to wait until (the promise of) Episode 2.

Even if you argue more stuff is coming with Episode 2, I can only go on past experience. While Episode 2 might contain a lot of new content (emphasis on "might"), I cannot see it being anything more than "more of the same".

I've been clamoring for new mobs / encounters / zones (even revamping existing ones) to fill the gap between zones I've run through a number of times and those zones I cannot venture to alone to enjoy content. While I can party up, and have, even that after awhile gets a bit stale or there's not many people running those zones. My only fallback is Upper Tears.

I wish they could devote time to coming out with new mobs/ encounters / zones (even revamps). I understand it takes manpower to create all of this new stuff. If only they had it.

Picture this for each of the releases in a quarter which goes through a progression of introducing new content:

First release in a quarter, a new mob is introduced (OGRE!). They are sprinkled around the different zones (easy / medium / hard). These aren't "themed", they are solo mobs and act just like other mobs in regular zones (think spiders, wolves, humanoids, etc.). Players get to test them out. Tweaks are made to their mechanics with patches or in preparation for successive releases in that quarter.

Second release in a quarter, encounters with that mob are seeded in the Overland Map. This could include a new biome, whether it's making a totally "new" type of biome, or just basing it on an existing biome (think forest, or swamp - but with a different layout). Again, players get to test it out. Here, the mob mechanics are more unified as they act in groups. Tweaks are made again for patches / next release.

Third release in a quarter, the new mobs become "themed". To me this would mean that they become part of the "lore" in a real sense. It becomes something solo players or groups can go to in order to tackle new content. Think some of the undead mobs in Ravensmoor. Think Upper Tears. This could be a sub-zone like Upper Tears, or it could just be a part of a zone that is "taken over" - much like with seasonal content. Now you have this other place to go and grind away. Consider also making different tiers of this content, so low-level, mid-level and higher-level players can go to different places and enjoy "new" content.

In a year, we could conceivably have four new sets of mobs / content.

I would gladly pay additional money towards a telethon for some sort of goal like, "Ogre Mobs - $50,000 stretch goal." Don't get me wrong, I like schwag. But I like mobs better. :)

twofoldsilence likes this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, I've been hammering on the point that one of the real problems is the game map is not very balanced in terms of the gameplay they want to offer. Two of the things you mentioned as examples.
    - Upper Tears offers some players some things they want to do (for example, group with players of different levels for xp), but players who like it feel this is the only scene on the map to go to.
    - Encounters are very limited, so that you feel you're running into the same encounters over and over again.

This has effects on the game and frustrates the player base from many different directions. It frustrates players who just want to go out and grind. It impacted the devs plan to create regional gameplay, which frustrates players who like the RP aspects of the game.

Chris has said for Ep 2 they want to focus on fewer but better quality scenes. OK, I'm for whatever the devs think is better quality, and I think existing scenes could be better for things like stealth gameplay and such, but really the problem with the current overland map is not the quality of the scenes but the type of balance in gameplay opportunities they offer. To which extent, adding in more scenes would help.

I would have to say, I'm not sure the variety of mobs is really the big issue. Unless mobs have different AI, they're really just reskinning the same loot bags. And there the real issue is the AI for the mobs we already have needs improvement.

Magnus Zarwaddim likes this.
  8. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

It would be great if Episode 2 didn't just introduce new zones that are located ONLY in the new lands, but in the existing ones as well.

I agree to an extent. Given that the team is small and with limited funds, it might be easier to just reskin an existing mob, tweak it's mechanics and iteratively add new ones. This way you are not starting from the ground up, so to speak. But, yes, overall, it would be great if instead of the standard "performance" quarterly goals, mob AI was focused on. I know the game doesn't run great for everyone, but if we are at a stable point, lets focus on things that bring diversity into the game rather than just increases in frame rates.

twofoldsilence likes this.
  9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well I do want to see mobs over time (I've suggested some), and because of different biomes and different locations, I think there are some mobs that make sense as reskins, or reskins with added behavior, if not added AI. News mats in some cases is also a reason to add a new mobs. But I'm just saying more types mobs won't necessarily make the game more fun, and I think its weird when people argue that.

Yea, but another point to this is that people want to be able to switch up scenes instead of going to the same one over and over.

Ultimately -- different players want different activities, players want to be able to go to new scenes instead of the same ones over and over, and the scenes w/ similar activities need to be spread out by location.

I don't want to dissuade the devs if they really think taking on too many scenes at once is a development problem that impacts quality, but lots of scenes isn't a bad thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.