Blade of the Avatar Physical Book

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by High Baron O`Sullivan, Mar 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

@Lord British @DarkStarr @Chris

When do we get our Blade of the Avatar book physical reward? I was promised a physical book many years ago during the Kickstarter.

2. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

That's a really good question.

3. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

The physical book was the deciding factor on whether or not I was going to KickStart this project. I would very much appreciate my physical book I was sold.

4. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

Well, we are entitle to get what we paid for, no? The people who backed the game at that level have to get their book. This is not even an option.
    I also have the feeling that we're being ignore about that book.

Addison likes this.
  5. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Referring to the latest statement from @DarkStarr, I would assume, the whole book has to be layouted completely new and a print office has to be found which can manage the amount of books for a reasonable price.
    I could imagine this will happen parallel with book 2, which Richard is working on. If the layout is done the same way, costs of printing should be cheaper for both of them ...

Montaigne likes this.
  6. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

I think most of us are being understanding and patient about the delay in getting the book. However, it would be great if the devs could at least say something about their plans, hurdles, and what progress is being made. Radio silence will only make things worse. I would be happy if they just came out and said that they have no funds for the book at present but are working on a solution to make things happen.

7. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Addison like this.
  8. oplek

oplek Avatar

All have to do is sit through a multi-hour stream with Chris, try to spam chat with your question so that it might be seen along with everyone else asking about anything from dungeon totems to dying rocks, and you just might get a vague uncommitted answer! I mean, nobody really users the forums anymore, so it's reasonable to expect that any and all updates come exclusively through unannounced and undocumented streams. It's not like anyone was interested in the standup notes anyway.

9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

as per Chris on april 2nd stream, Problem with tracy Hickman book deliveries, theres apaprently a problem between tracy and the publisher over who owns the rights or something.

10. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

huh...

Sep 14 2018
    Printed Book:
    As many of you have noted at the Patron (and above) pledge level one of the rewards is a printed version of the prequel novel “Blade of the Avatar” (aka “Sword of Midras”). Our original plan was to get copies of the book from the book publisher for distribution but we could not work out an equitable deal with them and we were not happy with how they laid out the illustrations in the book. Instead of using the beautiful Denis Loubet illustrations at the beginning of each chapter (as they were designed), they instead put them all lumped together at the beginning of each section of the book. So we have chosen to print the book ourselves and ship them to you directly. This will take some extra time and we will provide an update as soon as we have more information.

11. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Seems the excuses just keep changing..

12. Addison

Addison Avatar

Cha-Ching!

Woodchuck likes this.
  13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

All three of the points that you cite can easily be explained without the development team necessarily being dishonest...
    1. True... I have 4 of the boxes and a book wouldn't have fit in it.
    2. They didn't produce the book as they understood that the book once produced wouldn't have fit in the box.
    3. Mr. Hickman has a Publisher, which has published a book entitled The Sword of Midras which is largely the same as the Shroud of the Avatar that you likely have a link to a digital to on the Special Rewards tab of your Account page... I find it likely that as Portalarium sought to produce the hard-copies of Shroud of the Avatar to fulfill the Pledge Reward, they checked with Mr. Hickman, who then checked with his publisher, to make sure there were no legal entanglements... Unfortunately, publishers being jealous of their IP, there seems to be a potential legal entanglement.

14. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

All I am really saying is we where promised a whole bunch of things that have not yet came to fruition. Not only that some have definitely gone away and some where even "exchanged" The one very specific item that was "Exchanged" was a Custom Avatar Head. We were given first something not received well at all. They gave in and ended up giving us more pixel Crack. Yet we keep getting "heads, and masks" which could have been used to give us our "Heads"

There are so many problems with their mind set that it is Laughable. It is very hard to hold them to anything when LB himself makes statements like "we delivered almost everything we sold so players should be happy." It is Ludacris to even think that, let alone expect people who backed, and continued to, to have any faith in what is said.

Trust is Earned, and they have done nothing to actually Earn trust yet continually do things that actually deter it.

Sorry

15. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

Re 1 & 2: The Blade of the Avatar PDF is 225 pages, in a format similar to the original Dragonlance paperbacks (not to use Penguin Classic) it should have fit the existing box - especially if you design the cardboard inlay differently. Or, if the book was not supposed to come as B size paperback and the box was indeed too small and no bigger box could have been ordered, a full information would have been warranted. This way the three different stories leave a bad aftertaste. At very least one of bad (no) planning.

On the third point - Portalarium had a corporate counsel and there shouldn't be any problems. Also these problems would have been known at the time the small boxes or the book layout issues occurred. But again, no mentioning... One feasible explanation for "legal" problems occurring now could be that Mr Hickman wants to stop Portalarium from publishing. But then I assume this could have been stated.

That said, I concur with @Asari and others that all these explanations are not exhaustive, convincing or satisfactory.

Cordelayne likes this.
  16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

For some no explanation provided will be exhaustive, convincing, or satisfactory because they operate first and foremost from the premise that Portlarium is at its core dishonest and duplicitous, without providing any rationale as to how such a stance might be to their advantage.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  17. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

I watched the standup notes regularly, so did others I know. Just because we didn't always comment on them doesn't mean we weren't watching.

As to the book, Chris has stated he is not able to comment on this and we should speak to Darkstarr on this.

Cordelayne, Beaumaris and Lained like this.
  18. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

From your point of view.. Anyhow , you can only speculate. That's why we need an update, instead of a radio silence strategy.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  19. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

Speaking for myself I wouldn’t have bought into the development of this game if I wouldn’t have trusted RG and team in the first place. However, after I expect more and better explanation and communication than what I see here. And I do from any company.
    If you’re fine with this, don’t assume everybody else has your own standards

20. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

My Dear Friend,

While I completely agree with your premise, I might simply add that the same argument could be made to the contrary. For some, it doesn't matter how unresponsive, contradictory or elusive the response may be; they operate from the belief that Portalarium can do no wrong.

In such a manner, does it not behoove Portalrium to respond to the multiple posts inquiring about this particular issue? To ensure that they ameliorate all doubt? I certainly believe so.

Remember, not everyone can partake of the Twitch streams or Discord chats that others are afforded during work hours. Does it take THAT long to make a brief post here, updating backers as to the current status of this silly book? We both know it does not.

Portalarium's silence on this has only exacerbated the problem and added credence to the argument of those you alluded to in your post. Of which, I admittedly am included.

Respectfully,

Cord

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.