Public Service Announcement - Don't buy re-teachable recipes (dungeons for instance)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spoon, Apr 4, 2019.

?

Helpful?

1. Aye

76.5%
  2. Nay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Spoon! Arrrrgh WTF my successful scam - ruined. What have you done!

11.8%
  4. Woot, free stuff for meeeeeee!

11.8%
  5. Wait a minute, how much gold have I spent on free stuff. Noooooooo...

11.8%
  6. Bah humbug

2.9%
  7. None of the above

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Since I see this a lot nowadays it seems that most outlanders don't know that if a Recipe on the tooltip (hold pointer above object to get tooltip text message) says that it is Re-teachable then NEVER buy it.

To quote myself:
    If the recipe is "re-teachable" you can 'discover' it all on your own, all you need is the exact amount of ingredients, the right tool and the right crafting station.
    If you do then when you press to Craft you will discover the Recipe and it will be written into your book as if by some kind of strange magic, that the locals call pens around here.
    I know, right.
    Now that it is in your book, you can open Trade with others and drag the recipe to the trade window and show your superior knowledge by handing it out to anyone. Hence re-teachable.
    So NEVER buy a "re-teachable" recipe, well unless you are an old school geek with some avatar complex. Hmm wait a minute...
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/spoons-faq-so-you-think-you-can-be-a-crafter-huh-think-again.111241/

Plus the reason I did this now:
    ALMOST ALL DUNGEON RECIPES ARE ALSO RE-TEACHABLE AND THUS DISCOVERABLE AND THUS FREE
    Even most of the rare drop dungeon recipes. Which is kinda a prank move by Portalarium, why drop a rare that is really free instead of dropping more blueprints instead?

But back to the PSA:

So check before buying; if it is re-teachable then you don't need to buy the recipe (unless you have gold to spare and just don't care - in which case I'd say mail them to me instead).

For instance the Owlshead dungeon thingie?
    Re-teachable - hence the recipe is free to discover.
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Stone_Dungeon_Room_(Owl's_Head_Sewer)

So the rare thing to pay for is the BLUEPRINT not the recipe.

Please also be aware that a lot of scammers buy the common BLUEPRINTS from the book NPCs and sell them at a huge markup as if they are rare when they are not. (Some markup is fair if they are selling in a town without a bookseller, but some of the markup is way beyond reasonable).

http://sotawiki.net/sota/Bookseller
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Simone_von_Eglinger

To add to that almost all the Cooking recipes are re-teachable and thus discoverable.

Here is a massive list of free discoverable recipes.
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Re-Teachable

IF by reading this I have saved you tons of gold then please consider saying thank you through an in-game-mail, preferably with something intoxicating in the package, or by buying Spoon a tankard in your local tavern of choice when you happen to run him down with your obsidian death bunny, or maybe visit Lux Sanctuary - might even want to drop of some granite in the deposit trunk there since those dungeons do eat them up like if dungeons wasn't built by mining into mountains.
    Now on the other hand if you didn't like this PSA then feel free to put both poison and wine into said deposit box - I pinkie promise to mix and drink without any questions apart from "ooOooOOoOOooOO?"

Happy hunting

Spoon

PS
    Huge credit to all the sotawiki contributors and especially @Browncoat Jayson for all their effort for the wiki so that people like me can take (some of) the credit for all their hard work with PSA like these.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  2. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

LMAO,

4. Fiero Steele

Fiero Steele Avatar

Placed some wine carefully in the chest on top of the granite blocks. Remember, dont drink and dive, or was it dont drink and grind? cant remember, must be the wine I drank on the way to Lux :)

5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Well you know what they say about player's tears, right?

:p;)

@Chris
    If you happen to stop by due to the quote above, then I will repeat my old suggestion, that when it comes to rare dungeon drops then, it would be nice if the drop was instead one of those packages, which when consumed gives the blueprint to inventory AND adds the recipe in the player's book if not already there.
    Doing that and there would be no recipe objects out there at all, which would completely remove the scamming opportunity of selling the discoverable recipes at huge markups.

6. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

@Spoon is of course correct. But here's an interesting scenario - I paid 40,000 gold for a recipe for my first spawn dungeon the other day after I paid 200,000 for the BP pretty much knowing that the recipe was teachable, however I was in a hurry to get it in place as I needed to do stuff and was under no illusions.

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Posting privileges rock!

*spoons looks with sad eyes on a trunk full of broken glass with rocks on top slowly dripping arboris red into a puddle*

8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Done similar things myself but not with such grand amounts, more like 3-500g on release day before sotawiki gets updated wanting to get home already and try crafting all the new shiny pixels.
    ;):p

But also ,see subsection §1a quoted here:
    :cool:

9. Fiero Steele

Fiero Steele Avatar

Hic! wasn't me, hic, I placed the wine carefully on top of the granite, or was it the other way around? cant remember, hic, wanders off to rest his dizzy head.

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Spoon like this.
  10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The recipes should just be on all the booksellers, and just the blueprints should drop on the creatures that drop them.

Chatele, Fionwyn Wyldemane and Spoon like this.
  11. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I have not seen a "spoon-a-thon" in so long, I am only now realizing how barren my life has been without the master of info, the encyclopedia of facts, the ultimate trivia resource shining the light on pitfalls to snare the unwary :D

Seriously, I have missed you. You just don't know what you've got 'til its gone.

moko, majoria70 and Spoon like this.
  12. NamelessOne

NamelessOne Avatar

You know that free village house you get for the Shroud quest and is also available on the housing merchant for 2000 gold?
    I saw one for sale on a vendor for 50,000 gold.

Elwyn likes this.
  13. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Personally I don't understand the dependency and need for both recipes AND BPs to create items. Is it evolutionary (in game terms) as in it once made sense and was part of a plan and is now legacy? Is it simply a crude double sell option on a single end product item for much needed Dev income? if so fine. That said I don't see Port milking recipes and Blueprints in the store, they do seem an in-game mechanism, so in game play terms, why? both?

Chatele and Spoon like this.
  14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

True, and thank you very much.

Now try arguing that with Thomas A. Andersson, hrmph, he keeps insisting the opposite.
    ;)

15. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

There is a difference between a house (home) and a deed.

The deed you use to claim the land lot, while the house you build on top of the lot.
    You can claim the land lot without building a house (usually for farming), but you cannot build a house without first claiming the land lot with a deed.

What you get from completing an outskirt is a row deed.
    What you get from completing the shroud main story is a village deed. *edit* ...and a home.

What you can buy from NPC home merchants are just the house, not the deed.
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Housing_Deeds_Merchant
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Beatrice_Arrondale

Worth noting is that there are also houses that you can craft. Some examples, there are more if you search the wiki
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Recipe:_Greenhouse_Four-Story_(Row_Home)
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Recipe:_Shingle-Roof_Four-Story_(Row_Home)
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Recipe:_Shingle-Roof_Two-Story_w/_Balcony_(Village_Home)
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Recipe:_Shogun_Bungalow_(Village_Home)

*adding*
    Also the deeds you get from questing is "no-trade" so you can't set them up for sale.
    However nowadays you can upgrade the "no-trade" to a "Trade" version with crowns of the obsidian which you can buy from players for gold or in the cash store.
    So if what you saw was indeed a row deed for sale then that deed has had to have been first upgraded with crowns to an equivalent of some approx ~ 200 000 gold or so before being put up for sale. So if you see a row deed for 50 000 then that is a bargain and please tell me where in PM.
    :D

Also for 2000g on the realtor NPC then all you get a is a basement.
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Beatrice_Arrondale
    Now to be able to place a basement you also need to first claim the land lot with the deed.
    Which is also true for player dungeons.

So first claim land lot with deed - then you can place House (Home) + Basement + Player Dungeon if you so wish.

16. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

...and a house.

Fionwyn Wyldemane, Jaesun and Spoon like this.
  17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

All re-teachable recipes should just be removed from the game. They’re causing nothing but grief.

Net and Dollar Bill like this.
  18. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yea, it would be much better if all reteachable recipes were simply automatically entered to the player recipe books through doing crafting quests as a big NUE+QoL to use Portalarium's expressions.
    Preferably if I can make a wish, by having two dozen or so of the first tier standard reteachable recipes given from the outskirts crafting quests and then each crafting skill have a "master" similar to the combat skills where you can learn the rest of the reteachable ones for that skill through a "master" quest. Then when they add new ones, if you have the questflag you just revisit the "master" and say "hello" to get the update into your book.

Flavor and purpose. That is what drives gamers to come continue playing. Flavor and purpose.

That way a new arrival would get that "wow-this is huuuuge - can I really do all of this?" kinda feeling about the crafting system.
    Instead of like now with just a massive confusion when they buy a recipe only to realize they do not know how to make the components for that, and where to find those recipes is simply a nail in a haystack for them.

(Unless some nice hospitaller hints that sotawiki rules).

Unfortunately I think that historically Portalarium has been too focused on the goldsink aspect of recipes to make such drastic changes for the reteachable ones. Where I personally don't think that the goldsink outweighs all the lost crafting players that ragequit since they didn't get over the threshold realizing how much stuff there is in the crafting system to explore and do.

Here is a toast to hoping that they change their mind about that.
    *toasts* @Bzus

19. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

this made me giggle. hi spoon :)

i think we've rendered you to fits of repetition from being the resident forum support person ;)

Spoon and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  20. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Well I know that many recipes are re-teachable but I still e.g. buy new recipes at NPC vendors even if I do not have that much gold and the reason is simple…RP.
    If the game is offering my avatar a possibility to do something and also a bypass I normally do not use the bypass. Of course I would like to have someday a collection of all recipes but it is more appealing for me if I personally gained them myself by searching novia instead of getting them for free.
    But I guess most do not like it that way…maybe the devs could at least add an option to hide re-teachable recipes at vendors and while we are at it maybe also an option to hide already learned recipes.

I think a redesign of recipe-system as @Spoon mentioned would be also an interesting possibility.
    If you learn a crafting skill you automatically learn some related recipes and reaching different skill levels you unlock new recipes that are just useable as long as you keep the needed skill level. Quest that teach rare recipes and so on.
    Oh and just to mention it I would like to see an additional possibility for recipe learning. E.g. you have already create hundreds of swords…while creating another sword a critical failure happens and you create instead a scimitar and learned this way the new not re-teachable scimitar-recipe…maybe combined with the crafting specializations and just with an active specialization at a set level you have the chance to possibly learn and use such a recipe.
    (Maybe unlearning the specilisation is also unlearning the this way found out recipes...to have some reasons why we should specialize and stick with it. ;))

majoria70 and Spoon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.