May be a good idea to change adventure levels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arkah EMPstrike, Apr 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Or do something to take it out of the spotlight. I dunno if its because old players are telling them so or what but alot of newbs have been talking about grinding adventure levels. Ive seen some folks even turned off by it because they expect a use based skill system (which we actually are) but are under the impression we are a adv level centered game.

The play-for-points types wouldnt like it removed but i thing more should be done to show adv level is not a big deal to newbs.

Maybe a new interfece for it that shows it as a passive skill that displays the hp and focus gained so it integrates into the skill sustem better. Call it “Experience” or something

Crendel, CrazyPhil, Beaumaris and 6 others like this.
  2. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Funny how this was how it all started and people had to pummel @Chris to let them see it!

3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I’m not even sure how valuable adventure levels are in this game. Uo never had them and everything was based on skills and player skills.

amarious, Jaesun, Gorthyn and 3 others like this.
  4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Currently it only raises health and focus. At adv level 100 each additional adv level gives you about 2hp per level.

I thing the term adventure level should be removed and have it displayed as a passive skill in the skill tree

Some older players still think it affects your hit chance, but hit chance hasnt been a thing for a couple of years now. I took a adv lvl 5 character into a tier 4 zone where everything was red and killed stuff. Hitting them was not an issue and it was totally doable

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Synergy Blaize and Alioth like this.
  5. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

It's just a measure of how much time you have put into the game adventuring. That value does get used when calculating hits, obviously based on the overall character's experience, so why is a ferocious spider red to a new player, but green to someone like Mac? That value is used to calculate those stats and hit chance increases I believe.

Anyway, rankings and stats help players understand and value their progression. There's about 40-60 hours of content in this game. If you killed something once, what's the point of killing it again? Experience and items; your characters development.

The adventure level is one of those measuring sticks that makes this game re-playable for a large portion of the population. It's not the only thing people value obviously, but its still a good piece of information that reflects your time investment in the game. There are others like a well decorated lot, a well executed event, crafted items, a well run town, etc. For those that play in the adventure zones, adventure level is the benchmark that shows "x" player must have put in 1000 hours or oh this guy has barely started.

It should have been exposed and it should stay exposed.

FrostII, By Tor and that_shawn_guy like this.
  6. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Ok sounds good I don’t have a strong opinion either way. Cheers!

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

It doesnt. I went to offline to make a adv lvl 1 character with near GM skills and killed rise mobs. The only diff it made was my hp and focus.

Newbs are being told they are held back by thier adv level for probably just this reason and it simply is not true anymore. When dex became something that actually

When hit chance was remove older players didnt notice because they had already leveled up and some apparently 2 years later still think adv level is a combat calculation and it isnt.

Thats why i think it should be displayedas a passive skill instead so you can see what it affects and integrates into the skill use system better

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  8. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

i can see both sides. i do think it a lot less important than it seems. in most cases, a /playtime would be just as effective.

my only opinion on it is, if it is going to be exposed, it shouldn't be in a mouse over. put it right there on the character sheet with the other stats.

9. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I don't mind them showing, as they give a decent gauge on what scenes you might do well in. However, they are shown in a 1-120 level range, instead of the 1-10 skull tier ratings on adventure scenes. These are fairly close guidelines (AL / 10 = tier), so they could simply replace the numeric value with a skull (or other symbol) so those are directly comparable. It would take the "level grinding" out of focus, and instead just be a recommendation for your skills on when its time to change scenes.

Jaesun, Cordelayne and Aartemis like this.
  10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Even then, a person focusing on skilling up 1 deck is ready to try the hardest stuff at like adv lvl 80. But somone who trys a bunch of different builds before taking one build high could very well be at adv lvl 100 before they are able to handle the same stuff the first guy is. Its a very rough measurement that fluctuates based on how somone gets thier skills. I think its confusing newbies because its shown seperate from the skill system and should be i tegrated into it and be shown in the middle of the tactics trees in that circle as a standalone passive (like chaos is in the middle of the magic trees)

11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I just think they should be integrated so folks get out of this adv lvl = power mentality and the focus can go back to what your skill levels actually are. Plus itll give it a little progress bar like every other skill. Except this one wont draw from your pool. Itll just go up as you kill stuff

Crendel and CrazyPhil like this.
  12. Browncoat Jayson

That still works as a recommendation; not everyone is super optimized. You get above "8 stars" and you might want to move out of the "8 skull" scene you are in. Its not like there are any "9 skull" scenes you might try when 8-skull ones get easy for you.

Its not really for players who can get to AL 80 and not know when its time to change scenes. Its for learning when its time to do so.

13. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

I kinda like the consistency that this provides. Scene Tiers, Conning Tier, Adventurer Tier.

Browncoat Jayson likes this.
  14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

There needs to be an in game combat tutorial.

Since the dialog UI is garbage, it should probably just be video.

Talk about charging skills, unlocked skills, adventure level meaning nothing, and tell them to chill because if they go with a vet to UT their just spoiling all the early content, which is just as good as the later stuff.

Gravidy likes this.
  15. Browncoat Jayson

Better, even, because its been polished several times. Most scenes, and hardly any quests outside the main line, have not had nearly as much time put into them.

Gravidy and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Exactly. I think it's great when people get into the community early, but also feel bad for those who are led straight to Upper Tears. That's a misguided way to help.

Gravidy and that_shawn_guy like this.
  17. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Quick question: if adventurer level does not play a part in anything but extremely minor increases (per lvl) in hp and focus, why are there buffs, from the semi permanent type provided by gear, to the timed type provided by devotionals and blessings, that raise one's adventurer level?

xadoor, Gravidy, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  18. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

follow up question: if those buffs are actually as useless as it is implied (a grand total of about 28 extra HP and focus, and no other benefit), why haven't they long since been replaced with ones that are actually useful?

19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

In all honesty, i dunno. When the necklass of civility and lute of inspiration were introduced it did affect your hit chance. By the time the 3 day blessings came around it had long been gone as a hit calculation so im not sure why.

Likely the same reason there is a fishing crit bonus that atos cant explain. Also attack speed debuffs have continued to be added to items (even one that only works in pve) and they have never worked in pve.

Theres also a 200% damage bonus to obsidians on some very hard to craft weapons that have never worked

20. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

And the reason some very high mobs and bosses dodge attacks is because thier skill and likely dex is very high.

If a buncha folks ask about it on stream it might help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.